Sell MS-260 and buy MS-261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MS261 is a HOSS. But with what you use your 260 for, I may just hold on to it. I wouldnt call the 261 a heavy weight, but is pretty decent sized for a 50cc saw, and definitely has some bulk over the 260.
The fuel consumption (or lack of) is all that it is cracked up to be with the 261. It sips!

The MS261 is a HOSS. But with what you use your 260 for, I may just hold on to it. I wouldnt call the 261 a heavy weight, but is pretty decent sized for a 50cc saw, and definitely has some bulk over the 260.
The fuel consumption (or lack of) is all that it is cracked up to be with the 261. It sips!

Yes, the 261 obviously isn't the right saw for that use.....;)

Well my motto is. I cant have enough saw's, but wont part with what I have, which is all good runner's. Hell sometime's you gotta have both to be happy, so hang on to that one, and in the future buy another at that maybe the 261. Then all the stars will align! Thats just what I might do if it was me, because ther is always that I should have, or just plain having the want factor. I get it all the time! But I'd still keep the 26.

No, there is no reason to! I am sure they are a fine saw, just not what a 50cc saw should be! :msp_smile::givebeer:

They are more like what a 60cc saw should be. Just not as heavy.:rock:

With the extra weight you get the extra power with the 261. You need to run it to understand it.

Every 260 I owned was a nutless dog. They are reliable but not very powerfull unless you do some "work" to them.

When the MS261 was announced I sold my 026/260s. After I got the "Superior" (and it is in almost every way) 261 I bought a NIB 260 and a like new 260, both Pros. What seemed to me was that the 261 is in 361 territory and doesn't feel much lighter. Not to mention the power advantage of the 361.

50 cc saws have to be light weight to be a 50cc saw with at least exhaust porting, unless you are into the fully ported 50cc saws, then the 361 isn't even a consideration.

Get a 261, cut wood, sell the lesser, or better yet, keep both!

I own a stock 261 and have sung it's praises more than once - it is an excellent saw. Unbelievable torque, way more than a 50cc saw should have, excellent filtration, smooth as silk, and it will run on the smell of an oily rag.

However, my favourite saw of late is my recently acquired secondhand little Husky 353. Not because of balance etc but simply because of throttle response and I'd expect the 346XP to be even snappier. The 261 takes too long to get up and down on the revs. I've removed the H limiter and I believe it's tuned about as good as it's gonna get.

I know Sawtroll get's a bit excited about balance with a limbing saw but for me that's not an issue, throttle response is. That's why I mainly use my 200T when trimming around trunks. Lightning fast throttle response (plus good balance but...)

In my mind the 261 makes an excellent all round saw but for me the only major thing it has over either my 353 or Dolmar 5100-S is filtration. If I need wood ripping torque I'll whip out the 7900's or 390XP's. It's antivibe and fuel sipping abilities haven't won me over yet. If the 353/346XP and 5100-S had a filter system as good it'd be bye bye to the 261...

This is just my opinion but in typical Stihl fashion the 261 just does everything very very well like a saw should. It just lacks that WOW factor. It had it to start with but it's gone now. My 200T still has lots of wow, hang on, WOW.

I'd keep your 260 and if power is the issue get it ported. I'll help you out with a new top end if it needs one.

Matt, have you tried leaning out your L needle? The 261 seems to like that. It will improve the throttle response. Advancing the ignition timing will make a difference there as well. Narrow the cast-in key by 1/3-1/2 and advance it clockwise.

Matt, have you tried leaning out your L needle? The 261 seems to like that. It will improve the throttle response. Advancing the ignition timing will make a difference there as well. Narrow the cast-in key by 1/3-1/2 and advance it clockwise.

I think I've tried a few combos but will play with the L. I won't be changing the timing though, that's getting a bit too excited for me :)

Back