Selling bundles to grocery store

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find any/more info on NC regulations regarding firewood sales at grocery store, gas stations, etc? Specifically, does the wood need to be kiln-dried or USDA stamped/certified to be legally sold.

I would be supplying 1 store with locally harvested firewood (less than 30 miles radius) to be sold in bundles and am having a difficult time finding answers or even who to talk to/ask for legitimate answers.

Thanks for any info!

Just sell it as a RICK and get on with it!!!!! lol

Nah, check with weights and measures or the FSA or ASCS office in your county.

Ok, thanks for answers. I've looked on Dept of Environment/Natural Resources website to no avail. Dept of Ag i had not thought of.

Most of the grocery store wood I have noticed is kiln-dried and shipped from tons of different places, none of them really close at all. I understand the legal/ecological need for kiln drying and heating the critters out when shipping the wood long distances, but that would be different for wood that is sourced (very) locally, no?

Ok, thanks for answers. I've looked on Dept of Environment/Natural Resources website to no avail. Dept of Ag i had not thought of.

Most of the grocery store wood I have noticed is kiln-dried and shipped from tons of different places, none of them really close at all. I understand the legal/ecological need for kiln drying and heating the critters out when shipping the wood long distances, but that would be different for wood that is sourced (very) locally, no?
Most of what you see is kiln dried because it's sawmill scraps

if it is a chain store, your little local one is not the buyer. Large gas stations here require all of it be kiln dried. Mostly because they are national chains and have one distributor for their wood.

Yeah, they source the kiln-dried bundles through some of the same distributors that also sell grocery items (and deliver it at the same time.) At that point, the cost to the store is pretty high and the profit margin is slim. I could offer a better price, supply more than enough and deliver local wood for a much higher profit margin for them.

The bundle wood I've seen around here actually isn't sawmill scraps, but it's definitely from a processor and normally from huge lumber companies.

Yeah, they source the kiln-dried bundles through some of the same distributors that also sell grocery items (and deliver it at the same time.) At that point, the cost to the store is pretty high and the profit margin is slim. I could offer a better price, supply more than enough and deliver local wood for a much higher profit margin for them.

The bundle wood I've seen around here actually isn't sawmill scraps, but it's definitely from a processor and normally from huge lumber companies.

Yeah, I get that. But you have to get to the person who does the ordering of that type of thing. Good luck with that. And, your argument would only be good for that one store. The manager at that store has NO say in where the wood comes from. I have tried to get in to some of these larger chains and it is about impossible.
Good luck to ya! Hope you can find a way to wriggle in there! lol

Ted

I always thought that would be a "Gold mine" or on the other side of the coin "You gotta be crazy" to pay that for a few sticks of split oak???? I'm just say'in!!!!

A buddy of mine that runs a tree service has the contract with Quality Mart stores. I help him with getting the bundles prepped some. Have a jig made to stack them in. Wrap with plastic and staple a strap to it. Nothing kiln dried, just air...stacked 5 high, 10 long, and 2 deep. Would have sold way more this year, but we just weren't ready for the volume. I can fit 115-120 bundles stacked in the 8' bed of a SRW F-350. And usually the stores will take from 30-60 at a time. It's pretty good loot. Get paid for taking a tree down for cust, get the tops for firewood, take the big A1 butt logs to the mill, and sell the rest in bundles. That's like money 3-4 times. :)

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Yeah, I get that. But you have to get to the person who does the ordering of that type of thing. Good luck with that. And, your argument would only be good for that one store. The manager at that store has NO say in where the wood comes from. I have tried to get in to some of these larger chains and it is about impossible.
Good luck to ya! Hope you can find a way to wriggle in there! lol

Ted
I have an "in". I actually have worked at said store for many years and am taking more of a back seat in my past managerial duties (cutting down to very part-time hrs) in order to pursue some other woods-related work. I have a pretty solid plan, just need to get it approved for sale and we're good to go!

I've talked to a couple woods folks who have told me that as long as the wood is sourced in the same state that its selling in, there is no need for kiln drying (legally.) Still trying to find this in writing. Will update thread when I find something concrete.
Thanks again for all replies!

A lot of people who buy it are "city folk" that have a lil fireplace or some thing. Burn a bundle or two as ambiance, or maybe a lil heat insurance. When the temps drop, they really fly. Watched 40 from one gas station go in a day and a half.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Back