Selling firewood mixed or unmixed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not a "Wood Biggot" like many here. . . BUTT, silver maple just poof disappears in my stove and leaves my house cold in the middle of the night. . .wakes me up more than an aging prostate. . . .

MmmmmmmKay!

I don't get the silver maple bashing, I get 8 hours of burn time, (flaming stage through coaling stage) easily. Back when I was a punk kid 25 years ago, I sold silver / red maple, elm, ash, beech, tulip poplar whatever I found blown over in the woods as 12 month CSS seasoned hardwoods, it was a true statement and never had a complaint. This was before the EPA stove explosion though, most had traditional fireplaces. Silver maple cooking away stove top at 650 degrees right now....

sm.jpg

There is lots to like about silver maple. Splits easy, dries fast, leaves very little ash. Good stuff. That's what I use when I sell bundles. I forgot to clock how many I've sold this year, but I'm guessing around 100.
If you feel it's a good wood and find qualities as listed above , then my suggestion to you is convey those feelings to your potential customers. Never bring up compare it to anything other than what it is. I have some great wood. . low ash, lights easy, burns hot, blaaa, blaaaa, blaaaa. . . don't negative sell what you have an abundunce of.

All I will take is white & red oak plus hickory and some cherry gets thrown in too.

Last year I separated out the hickory hoping to get more for it and nobody was willing to pay a $40 cord premium for it. So this year it will all be in the same pile.

I can't believe silver maple is "burning me out of my room" 2500 sq foot colonial, burning all day no furnace all day.....uploadfromtaptalk1454813275271.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Well I am a firewood whore, I dont cull anything. My area is blessed with several very good firewood species. Whiteoak being the best, followed by Locust and hickory, several types of red oaks, post oaks, gums,, some ash, and the dogwoods and sourwoods. We also have red, silver and sugar maples and plenty of yellow popular. Most of the wood I cut will usually be one of the red oak species simply because of abundance. Its not at all unusual to go scrounge off a new house site just about all these species on the same lot, and I load it on the truck as I come to it. If I cut it, I burn it. While I would prefer to only cut and burn white oak firewood I am not going to cull out any maple or even pine if its available for the taking. And I also aint going to sort it when I stack it in my shed.

Well I am a firewood whore, I dont cull anything. My area is blessed with several very good firewood species. Whiteoak being the best, followed by Locust and hickory, several types of red oaks, post oaks, gums,, some ash, and the dogwoods and sourwoods. We also have red, silver and sugar maples and plenty of yellow popular. Most of the wood I cut will usually be one of the red oak species simply because of abundance. Its not at all unusual to go scrounge off a new house site just about all these species on the same lot, and I load it on the truck as I come to it. If I cut it, I burn it. While I would prefer to only cut and burn white oak firewood I am not going to cull out any maple or even pine if its available for the taking. And I also aint going to sort it when I stack it in my shed.
@muddstopper Sounds like you are fussy like me when it comes to wood. I insist my wood comes from trees:happybanana:
:baaa::lol:

All firewood gets processed. I don't put junk in there. I put firewood in there. Specific woods can be had for more money because it takes more time to sort it out and measure, etc. I advertise it as mixed firewood. If it's too junky I burn it myself. I really don't care. It all produces heat. My supply is not predictable, so I process it as I get it and am more concerned about proper seasoning than sorting. Just my .02

Well, the wood fairy has made my decision easier. I scored a LOT of oak this winter, and I just scored a few cords of locust and elm, as well as some silver maple.

So here's my plan:
I'll sell unmixed silver maple and keep it for bundles; (3-4 cords)
I'll sell mixed locust and elm (and whatever other hardwood I get); (3-4 cords)
I'll keep the oak for myself and sell only to my neighbor who wants another few cords.

I should sell about 10 cords again this year, not counting the bundles. That's about perfect for me. I like it.

I like to get top dollar, so it's almost all oak and sells itself. Sometimes I may have just a little hickory or ash in there but just a few pieces.

Back