selling saws on line need help opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havvey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking at selling saws online (evil bay :confused: ) any advise or techniches? what is the best season? they bring more $$$$$ on there than they will localy most of the time.
Any models to stay away from etc? what about selling parts and not whole saws? I am all to wise to the deadbeat bidders. thanks to all who have an opinion.:cheers:

Also be extremely observant of all of your saws flaws and shortcomings, make
it known to all, and keep that approval rating at %100 if you can.

1. be 110% honest! go out of your way to disclose all flaws.
2. take pictures during packaging to prove what you shipped and make sure buyer knows this. to avoid problems.
3. always ship with a tracking #, so you can prove item was sent in a timely manner.
4. charge reasonable shipping charges. should be aprox. $22 or less.
5. almost forgot, take detailed pictures for ebay listing. more details the better. include compression readings. wash your saw off with soap and water before taking pictures.

Pretty much all of the above.

But, extra tips would be:

Stick with Stihl and Husqvarna;

if you have the option always put the longest bar and chain on it you've got;

And from a personal point of view, keep the shipping reasonable. Too many people try it on. I have a point at which if the shipping is over I will not bid on principle. I'm sure a lot of others are the same.

Clean and shiny always looks better, I know a lot of people will wipe a saw over with cockpit spray, or at least WD40 before they take the piccys.

A clean looking bar always seems to help. Some people will give it a coat of grey primer, to me (a regular buyer) it looks like a con, but to the one off bidder, it is a draw. Personally I always clean them up. Dremel sanding drum and then a wipe over with WD is good enough, but never rusty.

If you want to keep 100% always state its flaws.

:greenchainsaw:

I have bought several saws and related items on Ebay and agree with most of the previously stated suggestions. A couple of points where I differ are:

Bar length:

I like to see some flexibility here. If possible, offer it with a mid-length bar (in the recommended range for a given saw), but also allow other lengths to be purchased by the winning bidder with a (reasonable) corresponding price adjustment; e.g. saw offered with 20" bar, winning bidder may have a 24" for $15 more; and 18" for $10 less...etc.

Shipping:

As stated above, reasonable shipping charges seem to attract more bidders. Above normal (exorbitant?) may keep some people from bidding on an item, but it does not usually deter me. I just factor (i.e. subtract) the abnormal part of the shipping/handing into my maximum bid. When buying, I just base all bidding on TOTAL COST to my door. I have made some very good buys on high S/H items.

Good luck,
Dave

Just wait till the saw barely runs, maybe has a scored cylinder and piston or bent crank. Take blurry pictures. Say you bought the saw from a old man or an estate auction and he told you it runs like a new one, but you have never tried to start it. Tell prospective buyers you will be unable to answer their questions because you will be out of the country on a work assignment, but will be back in time to ship to the winning bidder.

In addition to the advice above, I like to make sure that my auctions end on a Sunday afternoon when everyone is looking at ebay. I've got some saws for a steal when they ended at like 10:00 AM on a Tuesday. (I work at night.) Alot of guys use sniping services, but many don't and items will go higher when sold on the weekends.

Don't BS the buyers. Some guys will bite, but they're morons who don't know any better. Yeah, you can sell an 029 for $500, but most of the time it'll go fair market or less if you BS. Explain as much as you can about it. Make it clear the saw has been made ready to sell, unless it's being sold as a parts saw. Put in new filters, carb kit if it needs it, tune it and tell them every little thing you've done to it. I've only sold saws I've rebuilt, so I mentioned how I honed the cylinder, rebuilt and adjusted the carb, cleaned the spark arrestor, blah, blah, blah. It's not BSing, but it lets the casual and serious buyer that you've taken care of it, and they're not going to have to put $70 in kits and filters as soon as they buy it.

And if it's on old metal saw, paint it. I've made so much extra money on good saws just because they were painted and looked good. People go ape over a good looking saw.

And kill them with honesty. If they know the biggest problem the saw has is the small crack on the rewind, that makes the saw more attractive.

Jeff

bigair said:
Just wait till the saw barely runs, maybe has a scored cylinder and piston or bent crank. Take blurry pictures. Say you bought the saw from a old man or an estate auction and he told you it runs like a new one, but you have never tried to start it. Tell prospective buyers you will be unable to answer their questions because you will be out of the country on a work assignment, but will be back in time to ship to the winning bidder.

I guess i don't and won't have to lower myself to those standards. those people are a joke (unfortunatly they breed):angry2:

fishhuntcutwood said:
In addition to the advice above, I like to make sure that my auctions end on a Sunday afternoon when everyone is looking at ebay. I've got some saws for a steal when they ended at like 10:00 AM on a Tuesday. (I work at night.) Alot of guys use sniping services, but many don't and items will go higher when sold on the weekends.

Don't BS the buyers. Some guys will bite, but they're morons who don't know any better. Yeah, you can sell an 029 for $500, but most of the time it'll go fair market or less if you BS. Explain as much as you can about it. Make it clear the saw has been made ready to sell, unless it's being sold as a parts saw. Put in new filters, carb kit if it needs it, tune it and tell them every little thing you've done to it. I've only sold saws I've rebuilt, so I mentioned how I honed the cylinder, rebuilt and adjusted the carb, cleaned the spark arrestor, blah, blah, blah. It's not BSing, but it lets the casual and serious buyer that you've taken care of it, and they're not going to have to put $70 in kits and filters as soon as they buy it.

And if it's on old metal saw, paint it. I've made so much extra money on good saws just because they were painted and looked good. People go ape over a good looking saw.

And kill them with honesty. If they know the biggest problem the saw has is the small crack on the rewind, that makes the saw more attractive.

Jeff
yes some of he sellers are a joke,:) i try to do better and prepare online items

You know, you all talk about low shipping prices. I sold my old 066 on ebay last fall (an AS member ended up buying it) and I put down $45 for shipping, but when it was all over, I ended up going over that to ship it. Although, if you figure that a lower shipping price nets you a higher sale price, it works out.

the one thing that has been most important in selling of anything . this from my experience. no matter how good a salesman u are. after the sale ,when customer is thinking about it, at nite before he goes to sleep. at that point hes either gonna think ,i got beat on the deal, or hes gonna think , im really got a good deal.
i try to make sure he is going to sleep thinking he got a good deal.this translates in to repeat customers. just my take on it.works for me. plus u feel like u been honest in your dealings. this is more important to some, than others.

Give the buyer good communication. Respond to their purchase as soon as possible. I usualy let them know when I going to ship, and e-mail them a copy of the shipping receipt that has the tracking # on it. Keeps them happy, and secure they dealing with someone legit. This usually assures you'll get good feedback.

this needs to be stated again...

Never ship without a tracking number!!!

unfortunately for intnl orders, in order to get tracking. you must also purchase insurance. this could drive costs to an undoable order.

insurance

yes i agree any ex:clap: spencive item needs insurance or tracking i insist on it as a buyer.

Keep track of how much you get into a saw. Purchase price, parts, whatever...

Then, keep track of the time you put into each saw. Count your time at at least $50 an hour. Include the time you spend tuning the saw, packaging the saw, listing the auction, and answering questions.

Also keep a sales record so you can be absolutely boggled by how inconsistent prices are on ebay.

For the most return on your dollar investment part out every saw.

For the most return on your time investment sell them all 'as is' parts saws unless they're near perfect when you get them.

For the worst return on time and money clean, fix, and tune each saw before selling it.

retoocs555 said:

Then, keep track of the time you put into each saw. Count your time at at least $50 an hour. Include the time you spend tuning the saw, packaging the saw, listing the auction, and answering questions.

Also keep a sales record so you can be absolutely boggled by how inconsistent prices are on ebay.

For the most return on your time investment sell them all 'as is' parts saws unless they're near perfect when you get them.

For the worst return on time and money clean, fix, and tune each saw before selling it.
Ahh, where's the fun in that. I know value added does not always pay, but it's the fun of fixing up and making sure things are right that makes saws a good hobby. I don't sell on ebay but have bought a few. Just be sure what you are buying and ask questions. But then I am not in it for the money.:givebeer:

I have fixed and sold a couple. Some went for outragious amounts (330 for used husky 55) and some were well so-so.

My advice, as has been stated, keep it clean. I liked the tip in this thread about WD-40. Never tried that.

If the bar doesn't have paint on it, then the saw will bring less money. Also if it is just a powerhead, it seems to bring less. Project saws or parts saws bring more money with a bar and chain. Most popular models (372, 046/044/066 saws that are beat up bring great money parting out. Curt bailey gets good money out of the popular model Stihl and Husky parts.

Simple maintenece things like changing the air filter, spark plug fule filter and etc are big tickets for more dollars. Ending on a Sunday evening also brings the most cashflow. Freshly sharpened chains or new chains with good looking bars seem to almost double the money (within reason on smaller (50cc) saws)

Stihl saws "have to have a STIHL" bar in order to bring good money. People seem to think that everything else on a Stihl is junk?? :dizzy:

Also, try to be honest. The "I just bought it from an Estate sale and don't know if it runs, therfore AS IS" is a bunch of BS. Keep it honest. You are more than likely going to get a negative FB for such lies...

Good luck
Steve

retoocs555 said:

I agree with some of that ebay is crazy to say the least seems like good looking and well serviced sell well. as for parts if its like tractors snowmobiles etc you sell a few but end up with a carcas thats not of much value, In my case you can't get the price of evil bay locally.:cheers:

Freakingstang said:
I
Also, try to be honest. The "I just bought it from an Estate sale and don't know if it runs, therfore AS IS" is a bunch of BS. Keep it honest. Steve
Thats what i said to you on the Dolmar thread you pointed out to everybody u thought was a good deal/good saw . "Special white and black Sachs Dolmar on Ebay, cheap " about the used stuff that didnt know it it ran. Now u say its B.S. ? Ha ! I say 2 u now ! . (got ta yank your chain Freakingstang) . :spam:

Latest posts

Back