Semi-Chisel or Full Chisel Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbonaut

Go Climb It
Reaction score
A lot of guys will take whatever a dealer hands them, or just what comes on the saw for that matter. When they go back they are just replacing the same thing without ever considering what is best for their needs. I cut firewood. I get in dirt and sand and ice with dirty sand frozen in it. You ever see a decade's buildup of frozen salamander poop hidden in a tree? I have. And you will.
Even one loop of the new duro carbide chain is out of range for most guys at $100 per loop, and it requires special grinding equipment to resharpen it. I only mention this so you'll know it is out there, as the carbide is designed to maintain sharper teeth under less than optimum conditions. I don't know any one who efficiently puts up the kind of wood I do by putting clean straight 8" ash logs on saw bucks with a tractor. I said efficiently. There is much counter efficiency prevalent in firewood processing by people who put much more in it than it saves monetarily. But if it gives that warm fuzzy feeling, one can spend a quarter to save a dime, and I'm too busy to notice them. I will concede that if they are burning wood indoors, the radiant heat is quite healthful as is the exercise they wouldn't otherwise get.
I buy chain by the roll and loop it up for various bar lengths. For falling big trees with big saws, use full chisel cutter shape especially if plunging or bore cutting is involved. Running full chisel into very little abrasion will dull your edge. For almost everything besides falling and bucking large clean logs, semi-chisel cutter shape is designed to stay sharper longer. But pay attention to your angles when grinding as the different characteristics of the different cutter shapes require specific angles for each.

And what's the point you are trying to make?

Dunno, Gary...I think he's trying to educate us knuckle-draggers. Apparently he thinks we need to know this stuff and haven't been able to figure it out ourselves.

He means well but I don't think he realizes that he's being condescending and that he's talking down to us...well, most of us anyway.

Maybe if he'd used the heading "Advice to newbies, wannabes, and other knowledge challenged woodcutters" he might have had better response to his post.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. But if he keeps preaching to the choir the choir just might get a little grumpy. :laugh:

I don't know any one who efficiently puts up the kind of wood I do by putting clean straight 8" ash logs on saw bucks with a tractor. I said efficiently. There is much counter efficiency prevalent in firewood processing by people who put much more in it than it saves monetarily. But if it gives that warm fuzzy feeling, one can spend a quarter to save a dime, and I'm too busy to notice them. I will concede that if they are burning wood indoors, the radiant heat is quite healthful as is the exercise they wouldn't otherwise get.

You really lost me on this part. The rest of it as well but mainly this part... Super bowl party start a bit early?

This thread is as dumb as his I move wood and dont get why people are opposed to it thread. Some people just like to hear themselves talk even when they are full of ####.

feeling a bit foolish

Wow,all that time hammering acres of trees and I never ran into salamander poop.What was I looking at?To the op,if you want to orate in a self-engrandizing fashion please try to be more entertaining or informative.

I see what the guy's saying about the other types of chain available, and what he considers best for his purpose. It's merely a statement for the inexperienced sawyer. What's wrong with that? :rock:

Wow,all that time hammering acres of trees and I never ran into salamander poop.What was I looking at?To the op,if you want to orate in a self-engrandizing fashion please try to be more entertaining or informative.

Think hard now when is the last time you heard someone use the term "Self-Engrandizing"? Guess I wasn't offended as much by the post as you.

Not Even Warm, Yet.

Thanks for the posts, guys. This was aimed at someone who hasn't learned about chain. All that time spent criticizing combined, I could have run two miles. I think I will now. At least you dudes haven't cracked down on my grammar the way you attempt to do on my self-esteem. What makes someone think I don't understand why people would look up from 7/12 of a warm 12 pack to oppose me moving my own firewood? I fully understand the non productive sector. I call it let's rock and roll.
Go start your own threads.

Thanks for the posts, guys. This was aimed at someone who hasn't learned about chain. All that time spent criticizing combined, I could have run two miles. I think I will now. At least you dudes haven't cracked down on my grammar the way you attempt to do on my self-esteem. What makes someone think I don't understand why people would look up from 7/12 of a warm 12 pack to oppose me moving my own firewood? I fully understand the non productive sector. I call it let's rock and roll.
Go start your own threads.

I was going to let this one slid as this topic has been beat to death over on the chainsaw threads before but then you went an made fun of my music.:rockn:
If it's too loud your too old (or you haven't ran your muffler modded saw without earplugs enough.)
Start your own threads? Maybe you should start your own band:hmm3grin2orange:

wtf?

All I ask is; if you have a point to make what is it?If your point is that chisel chain can be a royal pain when you damage the working corner I'm in agreement.Semi chisel does have it's place.

For New Learners.

What the industry needs is more Ted Nugent and less Brad Paisley. If you have plenty of experience, don't self-indulge at knocking my tutorials. A couple of hundred views in five hours is good enough for me. I'm proficient enough at generating more material as not to spend time in debate.
Only limitation is typing speed with my knuckles dragging in such a way.
Thanks for a good howl! Please don't take anything personally.

counting views?

wow,I'm speechless.If you can't be more informative than semi chisel is more durable in extreme conditions than chisel why waste everybody's time?Unless ...

Back