Semi-Chisel or Full Chisel Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Preston, I'm much more "comfortable" cutting and splitting firewood in the late fall, winter and early spring. I try to have all my firewood work done before the warm(er) months, prefer to have it done before temps reach into the 60's. Winter means no bugs, no weeds, and I can regulate my body temperature by simply adding or removing layers of clothing. Those of us that live to the north deal with cooler weather differently that those living south, it's when warm weather sets in that we kick back and do as little as possible... Last April I was working some big Oak, temperature was in the low 50's but not a cloud in the sky, zero wind... I was working bare-back with the sweat pouring out of me.

This picture was taken April 9th at 11:30 AM, temperature was 51[sup]o[/sup]... notice how clean my t-shirt is? That's because I had taken it off hours before, when temps were in the low 40's... the wife made me put it back on for this picture so my bright winter-white beer-belly wouldn't "gross-up" the shot. Heck, last Sunday I sat on the front porch in shorts, a t-shirt and barefoot, relaxing with a couple beers after cutting... and there's snow on the ground right now! We don't consider it "cold" unless actual temps or wind-chill fall below zero, but 75[sup]o[/sup] is "damn hot" if the sun is shinning... 60[sup]o[/sup] is warm enough to go swimming.

attachment.php

Well now, ifin that's a Bud in your hand, no wonder you sweating. And cutting wood too? But for me, the more I sweat the better I work. But I will say when the temps go over a 100, I do back off. I hear the ticks chomping just for the chance to get at me.

That is a nice tree you working on their. How did you split that thing?

Yep, that's a Bud in my hand... The wife and boy drove out in the woodlot on the golf cart, brought me a couple sandwiches and a "cold one" to wash it down. Notice the jug of water sittin' on that tree? That's what I'd been drinkin' up to that point.

How'd I split it? Noodle first my man, noodle first.

Winter Cutting

If we cut wood for our comfort during the winter cold and let it sit to cure during the summer and winter for out comfort during the cold winter snows, what in the world would you be cutting the wood in the winter after a snow? Seems to my like you are doing double duty in the winter. You've supposed to be holed up in the "warm" house. :heart:

I'm a building contractor Preston, I remove trees when they are in the way of a new foundation or are storm damage on a house. Between Mushroom season and Bow season I'm on the business end a Power Screed or a worm-drive circular saw instead of a chainsaw. I do tree removal also for a modest profit that time of year. Trees in town and near houses that give the most trouble tend to be ornamental or fast growing junk. Got to have frozen dirt, crops not in field and spare time to access these remote bulldoze piles and woods.
It is amazing the low moisture content of the wood I cut. See that 65" diameter tree I'm cutting in the picture in my signature? That was on 8jan2012. It is a Bur Oak standing dead for two years. As soon as you cut it, The ends start to check radially and the cuts are shiny. The wood is dry enough to split.

Everything seems to be going up. Back last summer I bought 2 loops of lpx from edge and eng for like 8 bucks each. Sat I paid 24 and change for a 67 DL loop of .325 from the dealer, WTF ...

Ebay. I can get a 100' roll of oregon delivered for cheaper than what baileys wants just for the chain. You can get a hell of a deal on loops too if you look around. Be even better for you, a lot of places are free shipping to the US.

Ebay. I can get a 100' roll of oregon delivered for cheaper than what baileys wants just for the chain. You can get a hell of a deal on loops too if you look around. Be even better for you, a lot of places are free shipping to the US.

Yup. Bought 5 loops of .325 0 .063 RSC 74DL (18") for $15 a loop off e-bay a few weeks ago. 5 or more loops gave me free shipping. Around here, it's hard to find Oregon for that price.

Latest posts

Back