Semi-trailer loads of hardwood in Michigan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaftDanky

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a new user here. Is anyone aware of people/companies providing delivered semi loads of hardwood (like the 8' logs) to southern Michigan? I'm trying to get ahead and get some bucked up and seasoned for next year. I appreciate any help or advice!

Hey everyone, I'm a new user here. Is anyone aware of people/companies providing delivered semi loads of hardwood (like the 8' logs) to southern Michigan? I'm trying to get ahead and get some bucked up and seasoned for next year. I appreciate any help or advice!
As Sandhill said Chris Muma will deliver anywhere in Mi and is a master stacker with a crane...

Hey, thanks everyone for the replies. Does anyone have contact info for Muma or others that could deliver to Jackson?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it on the truck! Lol

As an update to anyone reading, I called Muma, but they wanted $2200 to deliver a load to Jackson, MI. Seems a little steep, I had always heard people saying they paid anywhere from $800-1000 for a load? Does anyone have a rough idea of how long a semi-load of logs lasts? Is it a few winters, or one or two?

was 2200$ for 1 trick and no trailer? That looked to me like a fair sized load of wood. What do the competition (If there is any) have for volume ?
I think I had just asked for a "semitruck load" of wood. I think I specified hardwood, but can't remember for sure (it was a few weeks ago that I called.) As far as I can tell, there isn't a lot of competition, which may be why they know they can kind of set prices wherever they want. I've called all the local tree places in Jackson, and none provide semi loads of wood, and none were able to recommend any nearby places to call to ask.

Up until this point, I've just been logging my own wood. The previous owner of my house has 55 acres he has let me log (since I inherited the wood burner from him I think he felt obligated), but at his new house he's building, I found out he's putting in a Heatmor as well, so I just don't want him to feel like I'm taking advantage of his generosity, and I definitely don't want to take all the good wood that fell down years ago and is relatively seasoned. He's told me many, many times that I can just go out there whenever I want, don't have to tell him or anything; but I've never felt 100% comfortable with that, mainly because again I don't want him to feel I'm taking advantage. Not sure what to do at this point. It's hard for me to get an idea of how long a semi-truck load of wood would last, since I've never started from that point and bucked it all up. If it lasted me for 4-5 winters, it might be worth the cost. But if it only lasted 2, maybe 3 winters, it would probably be cheaper just to run my gas boiler.

I think I had just asked for a "semitruck load" of wood. I think I specified hardwood, but can't remember for sure (it was a few weeks ago that I called.) As far as I can tell, there isn't a lot of competition, which may be why they know they can kind of set prices wherever they want. I've called all the local tree places in Jackson, and none provide semi loads of wood, and none were able to recommend any nearby places to call to ask.

Up until this point, I've just been logging my own wood. The previous owner of my house has 55 acres he has let me log (since I inherited the wood burner from him I think he felt obligated), but at his new house he's building, I found out he's putting in a Heatmor as well, so I just don't want him to feel like I'm taking advantage of his generosity, and I definitely don't want to take all the good wood that fell down years ago and is relatively seasoned. He's told me many, many times that I can just go out there whenever I want, don't have to tell him or anything; but I've never felt 100% comfortable with that, mainly because again I don't want him to feel I'm taking advantage. Not sure what to do at this point. It's hard for me to get an idea of how long a semi-truck load of wood would last, since I've never started from that point and bucked it all up. If it lasted me for 4-5 winters, it might be worth the cost. But if it only lasted 2, maybe 3 winters, it would probably be cheaper just to run my gas boiler.
If you are worried about being a MOOCH(Your head is thinking right) and want to keep a good neighbor Happy , Have you thought about cutting him a Load every once in a while? Split and stacked maybe ? Could be a win - win for the both of you. Bonus is you get to wear out your chainsaw so you have something to FIX...

If you are worried about being a MOOCH(Your head is thinking right) and want to keep a good neighbor Happy , Have you thought about cutting him a Load every once in a while? Split and stacked maybe ? Could be a win - win for the both of you. Bonus is you get to wear out your chainsaw so you have something to FIX...
The builders are still working on his new house, and he hasn't installed the wood burner yet, or else I would have definitely be cutting and stacking him loads. I suppose I could just go ahead and do it in the general area he said he was going to put his burner. He asked me for a few hundred dollars worth of cannabis a couple months ago, and I just gave it to him for free since he had helped me with all the wood previously. And I'm replacing the fenders on the wood-hauling trailer he's been letting me use too. I think I might try to just ask him again where he's putting the burner, and try to stack him a few trailer loads to start seasoning for next year.

You can't really say that the load price was steep when you have no idea of how much wood you are getting. I suggest you call again and ask how many cords on the load and what type of wood it is. Sandhill has bought lots of wood off him so he can likely give you some real close numbers on what to expect from a load. If you don't want to do that then find those people who told you they bought loads for $800 to 1000 and buy from them. I'm betting you won't find any at that price. Not sure how much wood you burn a year but if you are expecting to pay $800 to 1000 for 4 or 5 years of burning it mustn't be much. I sell logs and there is no way that I would sell and deliver the amount of logs that are in Sandhills truckload picture for 2200. Ash is plentiful but diesel isn't cheap and as you can see by the trucks they aren't cheap either. Takes a lot of equipment and operators to get the logs to your yard. I would think 55 acres of woods would easily generate enough deadfall for you and the land owners use. Seeing as the woods are so handy for you I would just cut and split one load for every 3 or 4 for yourself and just put it somewhere that he can get to it easily. The amount I would give him would depend on what I had for equipment though.

Latest posts

Back