Sequim Log Show 06

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis Cahoon said:
Dean......Did you know that T.J. and his sponsor offered and extra $500 in the open(chainsaw)hotsaw class, if they could sponsor the class like you are for the 5cube class? You made the rules for the class...right?(gas only, muffler only). That's what they wanted, but only to run any type of fuel. Lee said....know way!.......What's that tell you? Hahahahahahaha!

How about getting the rules clarified from Kennedy for next year for us all? Like....can you run a Mac 125 kart? Hell!....I'd even consider driving all the way up there if I knew the rules. Thanks Dennis
Holy crap. If that is the case; it's a bunch of horse pucky. I agree that the rules should be known ahead of time. I'll talk with them when I get up there and find out for myself what is up. As of this moment though I am having a hard time with what you are telling me. Why does everything have to get political?

It's probably going to stand as was earlier stated due to the fact there will probably be 20 locals some of which are lees freinds entering also. Hope they have enough log.

Rotax

Rotax Robert said:
I say bringem all on, heck I would even like to race dennis and his honda. Of course you know what they say: Racing a honda is like racing in the special olympics, sure you may win, but your still a retard.

That oughta get the ball rollin for the weekend.

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha:chainsaw:

"heck I would even like to race dennis and his honda"

You have raced me.....and Lost!:buttkick:...Hahahahahaha!:blob2:

Morton Bound!

Yeah that you did win and rather handily I might add. Can't argue that the 500 is friggin fast. I'll get you this year if you help me out and throw the race.

Curious though DC, why are the times slower in the last couple years as opposed to when you and steve were running in the 2.5 to 2.7 or so in 27" cottonwood. Is the wood that much different? even I ran a 3.25 or something 3 years ago. Just looking at last years times did not seem that good as compared to prior years.

Rotax

everybody ready for some fun tomorow? i have my 4 saws ready, the 070 block was recovered and built to complete the set. i have tested everything in wood other than the 070 (i dont have a chain to fit it yet) we will just have to see what happens when the dust settles.

sure take the fun of beating you by a mile away.. i wanted to work for that beer :chainsaw:

Rotax Robert said:
Yeah that you did win and rather handily I might add. Can't argue that the 500 is friggin fast. I'll get you this year if you help me out and throw the race.

Curious though DC, why are the times slower in the last couple years as opposed to when you and steve were running in the 2.5 to 2.7 or so in 27" cottonwood. Is the wood that much different? even I ran a 3.25 or something 3 years ago. Just looking at last years times did not seem that good as compared to prior years.

Rotax

Yep!.....The wood's been harder.

klickitatsacket said:
Well ben you win the beer. :cheers: I smeared my piston all over my cylinder. I will bring the saw up with me to show it to you. I think I had a vacume leak. She was running poor and I tried to adjust her out and she stoppe din an instant.

Trust me Dean you may not believe it, but it hurts alot more when you are warming up to run THAT RACE.

It still stinks though. Tough one.

Fred

I stopped by Ben's the morning of the race and we pulled my saw down just to see what happened. one word "HOT!!!" I escaped a bad one. The cylinder is salvagable (thank goodness becasue there was $150 in machine work to it and about 6 hours of port work) the piston however was just flat out melted down. On one side of the piston the rings were completely covered over with melted aluminum. No scoring just smooth aluminum over the rings. I was pushing it a little too hard. I should have been using high octane fuel in her. the problem was that I have been so busy that I only had about 3 hours to throw this saw together the night before. Not bad though. I will put a new piston in her and try it again. I will have to put some aviation fuel in her this time though. It was running 218# of compression with a 5 degree advance in the ignition. Looking back now I was a little foolish for trying to run it on 94 octane. If you are not blowing up a saw now and then, your are not trying hard enough.:givebeer: +

Dean it is my opinion that you need to find the "H" screw on the carburetor and turn it counterclockwise a little. Next run some oil in your gas (32:1). Low octane causes pinging and little hammer marks in the top of the piston. It does not cause it to melt the piston. Mike

Any chance i can get the results to post on the sites that have an interest in Lumberjack Sports? If so, simply PM me or post them here and I'll copy and paste.

Thanks a million,
Arden Cogar Jr. aka jamie

Times

These are not the official times. These were my own times taken next to the officials. If I mispelled any ones name please let me know. Also if you have any of the missing information as to saw or names please let me know and I will correct this post.

The Big Boys- Other than chainsaws

Preditor 215 Buick V-8 1.94
Gitter done Toyota 21R 2.77
Name??? Ford V-6 2.97
Foreplay 215 Buick V-8 3.16
Revtech Harley 6.46

No surprises with the Preditor, just a mean machine. The biggest surprise however was the toyota 21R. The Toyota gave up a lot of displacement and still came in second place. Mighty impressive in my book.

6 Cubes and Over
23" Douglas Fir 1 cut Hot start
Robert Andrews 090 6.24
Lee Williamson ?? 7.33
Joe thompson 3120 8.32
rotax's freind ?? 084 first time racing 9.45

6 Cubes and Under
22" Douglas Fir 1 cut Hot start
Robert Andrews 655 BP Poulan 5.81
Lee williamson Piped 394 6.17
Joe Thompson ?? 6.20
Ben Olson 044 10.39
Randy Belguard 066 modified work saw 10.57
Ben Belguard 066 stock 12.48
Kevin Becker 066 stock 18.71
Scott Flecker 066 stock 20.52
Ellen Morison Husqy 55 stock 34.43

5 Cube and Under
22" Douglas Fir 1 cut Hot start
Robert Andrews Pioneer P52 6.32
Joe Thompson Husqy 371 (2 piece exibition only) 10.03
Lee williamson 044 10.27
Ben Olson 044 (cut out) 11.59
Kevin Lions 046 12.83
Ellen Morison Husqy 55 39.49

Joe ran just for fun becasue his 2 piece cylinder was not allowed by the rules. Ben would have been in the money if he had not cut out at the very end.

For those who want to get into racing saws; This is a great starter class. A place for a person to get some time under their belt, a chance to talk with other racers, a chance to learn about chain and motor building. Most racers are a great bunch of guys and are willing to help new guys.

At the end of the day it was a whole lot of fun. Art Martin happened to be up in this neck of the woods and made his way over to the show. TJ bexton who is always competitive at this show was unable to make it this year as he was taking care of his wife and new born child. Congratulations TJ:cheers: On another note; I spoke with Lee williamson and if we want to sponsor an Alky class we are more than welcome to. I will be way more involved this next year helping to get get a few more classes set up and the rules known for them way in advance so that next year maybe we can get some more of the national competition up here at this show.

Just a side not for the ladies reading this post or for the guys who want their ladies to get involved. Ellen Morris in her mid 50's with her Husqy 55 was only 1 of the 4 people who hit the water mellon in the felling compitition. this was out of about 18 participants (most of whom are proffesional loggers). A whloe lot of sheepish guys out there on the landings this morning:blush:

you mean to tell me i beat every 066 with a stock bore size 044? untill i actually looked at this list i didnt even realise that. any doubters of my work left? :biggrinbounce2:

according to my stihl workshop manuals, that 044 is 4.3 cube, with the 066 being 5.6 cube. that is a rather large jump!

Last edited:
rupedoggy said:
Dean it is my opinion that you need to find the "H" screw on the carburetor and turn it counterclockwise a little. Next run some oil in your gas (32:1). Low octane causes pinging and little hammer marks in the top of the piston. It does not cause it to melt the piston. Mike

Mike, lol
You should have snuck into that show too like Art did just to spank those girl scouts. lol
If I had of showed up I might have been able to place second with my boobjob 044:blob2:
John

hey Gypo, you should come out to some of the shows around here. i think you would have some fun racing, good BSing. the more saws and people that show up the more the crowd likes it. one of my customers that went to the show is also thinking about building a Toyota V6 hotsaw to try beating the Predator. i tried to get him to run the woods port 044BB i built for him but he didnt want to get dirty this year (had a meeting to go to directly after the show)

Gypo Logger said:
Mike, lol
You should have snuck into that show too like Art did just to spank those girl scouts. lol
If I had of showed up I might have been able to place second with my boobjob 044:blob2:
John

Read my mind. I am thinking of bringing the 490 Jonsered to run in the 6 and under next year. HAHAHAHAHA

Just kidding. Ben a good 3 cube should spank all the 066s that are woods saws.

Fred

rupedoggy said:
The saw just so happened to be running 32:1. As for not enough fuel, mmmm..... HD 17A with a 68 jet. later guys, I got to go fix the leak in my muffler, dang thing is leaking gas.

if your muffler is leaking gas.. you got problems bro! didnt i tell you your not suppost to pipe the exhaust through the gas tank and fill up the muffler with gas! not to mention the starter pulley duct taped to the clutch just looks bad. :popcorn:

Back