Sequoia redwood bear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbob1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just a quick note to show the cool contrast between the heartwood and sapwood layers in Sequoia redwood. I love the stuff. Carves fast and looks great.
Picture is attached below.

I saw a post below where someone used the term fancyfirewood as their name or business name. Funny because I've been talking about carvings being fancy firewood for probably 8 of the 9 years I've been carving during competitions or seminars I've given... Eventually a fun term comes around doesn't it?
See ya.
Bob

VERY nice work. Good realism in the face... the eyes, ears, and nose are very proportional to the head. The mouth is also perfect. There are lots of "cartoony" chainsaw carvings out there, realism is tuff and you have it.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Not bad at all. Best detail I've seen in wood. Good anatomy, esp. on face- do you make a clay model first? When I useda carve stone, I did that to get the piece dialed in before the cutting began. Show more pics, man.

Looks good, must be hard to work with stone, I'll stay with the wood.

Actually that one was bronze, so al I did was play with clay for a whole year, then make a mold

It seems to me that wood wood be a lot harder to control because of the behavior of the grain. Stone is more uniform in all directions. I am looking forward to trying my hand at wood. Got my ms200 in yesterday, so it is only a matter of time.

How many of you guys prefer to carve with electric chainsaws? Or is that the subject of a whole new thread?

Just a quick note to show the cool contrast between the heartwood and sapwood layers in Sequoia redwood. I love the stuff. Carves fast and looks great.
Picture is attached below.

I saw a post below where someone used the term fancyfirewood as their name or business name. Funny because I've been talking about carvings being fancy firewood for probably 8 of the 9 years I've been carving during competitions or seminars I've given... Eventually a fun term comes around doesn't it?
See ya.
Bob

Can you still get redwood? THey used to sell it in lumberyards in Kansas, but I haven't seen it in a while. I've been told it's no longer available. Man, it was great to work with as a carpenter, I imagine it would be one of the most carveable woods out there.

Actually that one was bronze, so al I did was play with clay for a whole year, then make a mold

It seems to me that wood wood be a lot harder to control because of the behavior of the grain. Stone is more uniform in all directions. I am looking forward to trying my hand at wood. Got my ms200 in yesterday, so it is only a matter of time.

How many of you guys prefer to carve with electric chainsaws? Or is that the subject of a whole new thread?

My ms 200 is my favorite saw to carve with by far. I use my electric to carve with only if I have to, like inside the shop during the winter. The electric just doesn't have enough power and very little chain speed control.

Wow

Chainsawbob that bear is crazy. I have seen many bear carvings before but I would have to say your's is by far the most life like. The detail is unbelievable. Keep up the good work.

excellent work

and i just love the tone differences in the wood how they contrast and colors

Hi Bob, I know you by reputation from carvingpost and chainsawsculptors.I live in B.C. and I hope to see you carve in Chetwynd this summer. Hey you guys, click on Bob's name and check out his website,Bob's a champion carver, and one of the fastest, I hear.
OOPs, this thread started in January!

Last edited:
DANG!!!!! NICE BEAR! I love the colors! Wicked talent.....cheers ta ya!:cheers:

Thats would look cool at the top of someones long gravel driveway....might spook the visitors :)

Latest posts

Back