Servicing Dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we don't charge that fee but it would be nice sometimes.Guys buy a saw at the hardware store and bring it to us to fix,gets old real fast.

At $60.00/hr. flat rate, I could fix a saw I hadn't sold. My Subaru dealer in Topeka did the stuff I couldn't do and gave me a reduced parts price on a car I bought in KC, and built a relationship, so I bought my current car from him, even bought a new one I had not intended to get, just so I could buy from him. It is stihl about relationships, even though most people think only of price (read "chinajunk")

I think that charge is a bit over the top.

How much do they make by selling a saw like a 361 anyway?

Depends on alot. There are different Tier levels. Looks like the best I see is for example, and this is last year's price list, things have risen I hear, but for a MS361 20", 443.00 cost, retail 589.00.

But then they got to pay the guy who sells the saw a salary, light bill, phone bill, air conditioning, advertising, rent, you name it, so they got to sell a bunch of stuff to come out ahead.

Yep.. sell a 1000 of them a year (maybe 10% of dealers sell 1000 units... most sell less then 400, and most aren't $589 saws...), 2 guys, rent, utilities, insurance, phones, adverstising, floor planning, bad debt, credit card charges... and you're loosing money unless you also service, and even then... lousy business.

That's my point, not making much so why the service charge for saws purchased elsewhere?
Who cares?

I just feel a little used sometimes, actually I like fixing all saws -and if I give a guy who bought a saw elsewhere good service he may be more inclined to buy from a dealer next time.

I would like people to understand that a relationship with a good dealer is worth more than saving a few bucks sometimes that's all!

I was at a chainsaw dealer today picking up a new chain. I noticed a new sign on the wall behind the counter that said; Any repair to a item bought somewhere else will have a minium charge of $50 dollars. I do not agree with this, but did not say anything. I got home and looked at the recipts of the last two repairs that he did for me, both were gas line replacements. The first saw I bought from him. The bill was $32 dollars with a new filter too. The second saw was bought somewhere else and the bill was $54 dollars and no filter.
I am not happy with this!
On the outside of his building there is a metal sign that says he is a servicing dealer, so why two different price rates for the same product.
I done think this is fair.

Seems like a big sign that says...

"We offer all of our customers that purchase a saw from us a 20% discount on service and 10% off parts and accessories for the life of your saw"

would not only build customer loyalty with existing customers but also sell more saws. Just raise your rate so that with the 20% disco you make 5% more than you do now. Why not turn the alienation in to an offer that will convince them to buy from you.

I may not fix saws for a living but I do run a thriving service business. The last thing you want to do is turn away customers.

"We offer all of our customers that purchase a saw from us a 20% discount on service and 10% off parts and accessories for the life of your saw"

would not only build customer loyalty with existing customers but also sell more saws. Just raise your rate so that with the 20% disco you make 5% more than you do now. Why not turn the alienation in to an offer that will convince them to buy from you.

I may not fix saws for a living but I do run a thriving service business. The last thing you want to do is turn away customers.

Very well said!

That is definitely a better idea then the flat rate $50. Sounds a lot more professional as well.

Off course that brings up another question. Could it not be that a shop is already doing this in repairs silently. I do not mean in a deceitful way, but say rounding of of the labor charges? As in "Well Joe did not purchase the saw here so round that 35 minute labor charge up to 45 minutes instead of 30" (assuming they bill in 15 minute intervals). Again I am not saying people are being dishonest, sort of like customer loyalty goes both ways.

I get 10% off at my shop (through a verbal agreement), and I guarantee that somebody coming in with a big box saw will never see that 10% off for a new chain. Even more so when a dealer has to explain or show him how to put the chain on.

As far as saws not being profitable to sell, I would disagree. If am pretty sure Home Depot and Lowes would not be selling them at a loss would they? Granted they are getting them at the lowest discount......

The knowledgeable dealer above mentioned pricing and revealed a markup of 25% which seems pretty much on par if not above the retail average for something with residuals.

I guess I've got to bragg on our dealer a little.
They used to sell a lot of different brands of saw's but now their only Stihl.
They are a Briggs dealer. I got a deal, online on a 35hp briggs motor, then after a short time I had a little problem. I took it to them, and they looked first to see if it would be a warranty repair. It wasn't, I screwed it up.:)
They repaired it for a reasonable price, knowing that I bought it online.

Andy

I need to as well, my long time dealer has always been great. If anyone is near Meadville, PA check out Hazlett Sales and Service in Townville. I have bought saws from all across the country and they have never given me any grief and always give good deals on new stuff. All but 1 of my new saws came from them, and all parts mostly came from them when I was home.

Up here in Maine, Ware's Outdoor Power in Lincoln is also phenomenal. They are patient and know what they are doing. It is bit of a drive, but when you are in Maine "you can't get there from here". Now it is good that Spike's shop is 7 hours away, or I would be in there everyday.

As for the original topic, I can see charging 2 different prices. Posting it might be a little much. He could advertise it to his customers that he gives discounts on saws bought there, builds customer loyalty.

Last edited:
Well, I've written volumes on this topic already, so I'm going to resist the temptation to repeat any of those rants here.

But I will say this: If you've never actually been on my side of the counter, you really don't know what it's like.

The $50 deal is kind of insulting, and will generate too much negative feeling, and I would never post something like that in my store. We are somewhat selective on what we service, and generally don't bother with box store customers/equipment.

But this topic is too contentious to get into with the nice long holiday weekend coming up, as we are in quite a festive mood already. I hope all you guys have a great 3 days! :cheers:

But this topic is too contentious to get into with the nice long holiday weekend coming up, as we are in quite a festive mood already. I hope all you guys have a great 3 days! :cheers:

Agreed. You have a good holiday weekend as well Spike.

I will be thoroughly hammered from 2:30 today until 7am Monday morning. :cheers:

Agreed. You have a good holiday weekend as well Spike.

I will be thoroughly hammered from 2:30 today until 7am Monday morning. :cheers:

Well, that gives you about a 4 hour head start on me. I'll have a few when I get home, and then when it gets dark I'm going to test fire some of the ordinance I have for tomorrow. Ever notice how fireworks produce an uncontrolable degradation in the maturity level of the average male?

The feeling of being closed the next 3 days feels as liberating to me as it must have been for the signers of Mr. Jeffersons' superbly crafted document 232 years ago.

Happy Birthday, USA!! :rockn:

If you can get them in the door for a repair and build a good relationship with them, when that piece purchased elsewhere dies they're more likely to buy their next from you. I tell repair customers that it doesn't matter where they bought their last unit from, it's where they will buy their next one from that matters.

We have only a couple policies regarding equipment bought elsewhere.
We try to avoid working on box store OPE products, mainly due to the inaccessibility of parts. The last time I had to order a Homelite part it 3 weeks to receive, so we try to avoid it. We are honest and up front and say "Our shop rate is 60$ an hour are you willing to spend between 75$ and 100$ to repair this if needed?" 75% of people say no and do not get the unit repaired, and of them a decent amount purchase a new piece of equipment from us. And when it comes to repairs of brands we don't carry I tell them yes I can repair this for you but due to having to order parts from other dealers it will take up to an extra week to get your unit repaired.

There is no reason to punish people for buying a unit somewhere, by punishing them all you are doing is hurting potential sales. But I do like the idea of discounting parts and service to create further customer loyalty.

Thanks everone for your thoughts. Thinking over things first before I go back for a talk.
The saw involved in this came from a dealer in another local town and they closed for business 4 years ago. I bought 2 others saws from this dealer. So who do I go to for service but a servicing dealer!

Latest posts

Back