SharkBite installation?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phatsupratt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a pinhole leak 6" above my concrete floor where the pex runs in to. I did some research and picked up a sharkbite fitting. I cut the 1\2" pex and tried to slide the fitting on but the pex is about 1\16" too large to fit. Do I need to shave the plastic coating down to the metal lining in the pex or do I have the wrong fitting? I don't have much to play with so I need to do this right the first time!

Thanks guys,
Mark

Sounds like you have that pex with aluminum in it.

I am unsure if the Shark bites were made to use on this type of pex.

They do work on regular pex though.

I've used the shark bite's on regular plumbing, PEX, copper, and CPVC, and they work well. The plumber who introduced me to them said not to modify the pipe when using the fittings tho. Obviously we wern't working with aluminum lined PEX though, so I'm not sure if this rule of thumb applies here. I'd ask the PEX company to be sure.

May need to purchase a crimping tool or rent one. Most plumbing supply houses will rent them.

Sharkbites seal on the exterior of the pipe though, so maybe "hogging" out the inside of the pex would work. You are supposed to use a stiffener when using the sharkbite with pex. Some fittings come with them already, some you have to buy seperately. Good luck.

I would not shave or modify the pex as the fitting seals to the smooth round contour of the pex and a whittled surface is not going to be smooth or round. Check your size, try another brand, or contact the sharkbite rep or perhaps a plumbing warehouse that is not a bigbox store. If all else fails, you could use the regular crimp style fitting and rent or borrow the crimp tool.

If you use the crimp type fitting you will reduce the ID of your tubing thereby reducing your flow. I don't know if this will make a big difference in your application, Imam just speaking from a plumbing standpoint.

Thanks for the responses, glad I asked. I'd rather not buy a crimper as they're not cheap. I'll check with my local plumbing store first for an alternative.

Mark

Back