Sharpening a blade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dough

Reaction score
I tried searching, but didn't have very good results. I have always just taken my chain saw to the local small engine guy, but well he is no more.:( So I was wondering how to go about sharpening the blade. I picked up one of the little Husky kits at ace, but the directions are a little lacking for a novice. Does anybody know of a site that tells how to sharpen blades? Pictures would be real nice.

TIA
Dough

Everything you need to know is here on this site. scroll through the posts for the last 30 days and you will see we have been discussing it quite a bit. Also some great tips are at www.madsens1.com

Ok, Ok, I am back. Sorry about being rude and causing an
international incident. I love you guys. You complete me.
No, really, reading Walt's description of his Llamas did the
trick. I love the furry little buggers, big eyelashes and all.
Why is this post not considered for deletion? Info located
on Madsens site should and could be readily available here.
And you have a long list of "experts" that could contribute
to such a page. I realize that some of them are so full of poop
that their eyes are brown, but you have the talent here to
put forth a site that could give hours of good reading to the
hapless web surfer interested in saws. Conflict and disagreement
is a good thing when it makes all involve think. Look into this
possibilty of an information page for sharpening, octane, Llamas,
werewolves and all, and this site will move into high gear.
Darin, sorry about being rude, that is my way. What is your sign?
Fish

Most rd chain is sharpened at 35 degree angle, sq. chain 30 degree. The proper size file is important. To do it correct you will use 2 or 3 diffrent sizes as the chain wears.Dont feel alone. Its a art to sharpen a chain properly. I guess i lost you. I lost myself.
1- corect file size 2- proper angle. And also twist the file as you sharpen it will make the file last longer & will prevent flat spots.

I am just using a McCulloch 3516, and just need to cut up some trees around my house. I was interested in learning how to sharpen the chain, but wasn't quite sure how to start. I am not even sure which type of chain I have.

Thanks for the help.

You need to get the proper file to fit that chain.
I might suggest you go to your local dealer and buy a spare chain and buy the proper file, bring your saw and get him to show you how to sharpen the chain that`s on your saw now.
You really only need to sharpen the very top inside edge of the cutter but it`s important to try and make them all the same length and have the rakers in front of the cutters filed down to about .025" below the cutting edge.
You can buy a guide from your dealer that will measure that also.
I`m not familiar with that saw but I`m sure somebody here is.
sharpening.JPG

Last edited:
Back