Sharpening a square chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use one of the 1st or 2nd generation ones myself. I got it in trade with nstueve.

Did a stupid last week ,shut my thumb in my pickup door ,felt better after i dug a hole in the nail with a razor blade to drain it ,..."
A piece of old solid throttle wire core, heated red hot and poked through the nail is quicker
A large paper clip, straightened and heated in the alcohol lamp works too.

Well I got my square chisel chain the other day and liked it, after a few cuts I hit some dirt and I wanted to try sharpening any way. Took it down to the shop and put the six sided file to it, I found it pretty easy to sharpen, then took it outside and I don't know if it was me but it cut better after I filed it than new.

Well I got my square chisel chain the other day and liked it, after a few cuts I hit some dirt and I wanted to try sharpening any way. Took it down to the shop and put the six sided file to it, I found it pretty easy to sharpen, then took it outside and I don't know if it was me but it cut better after I filed it than new.
Did you leave the rakers the same, and change the angle under the top plate?
Or touch up the cutting corner and drop the rakers a swipe or two?
Either would have done the trick...

Good Deal, getting it right the first time is not supposed to be easy. What make chain are you using?

What make file?

Couldn't you have waited to learn this till after the GTG?
PFERD, I've actually been experimenting with an old chain that is round and making a square out of it.

Did a stupid last week ,shut my thumb in my pickup door ,felt better after i dug a hole in the nail with a razor blade to drain it ,to top it off shot a nail with a nail gun sunday ,it hit something and bent and went in the finger next to it ,was only a 15 gauge though ,thumbtack sized nail ,only went 3/4 inch through before it popped out the other side :laugh:
I have done that with a nail gun before..liked to **** my pants when it lodged on the inside of the fingernail...

Chain Zombie

Attachments

• Zombie Chains for a Wildthing.JPG
    Zombie Chains for a Wildthing.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Back