Sharpening a square chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LegDeLimber

LegDeLimber

Addicted to ArboristSite
Did a stupid last week ,shut my thumb in my pickup door ,felt better after i dug a hole in the nail with a razor blade to drain it ,..."
A piece of old solid throttle wire core, heated red hot and poked through the nail is quicker
A large paper clip, straightened and heated in the alcohol lamp works too.

Ironworker

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well I got my square chisel chain the other day and liked it, after a few cuts I hit some dirt and I wanted to try sharpening any way. Took it down to the shop and put the six sided file to it, I found it pretty easy to sharpen, then took it outside and I don't know if it was me but it cut better after I filed it than new.

Hedgerow

Hedgerow

HACK
Well I got my square chisel chain the other day and liked it, after a few cuts I hit some dirt and I wanted to try sharpening any way. Took it down to the shop and put the six sided file to it, I found it pretty easy to sharpen, then took it outside and I don't know if it was me but it cut better after I filed it than new.
Did you leave the rakers the same, and change the angle under the top plate?
Or touch up the cutting corner and drop the rakers a swipe or two?
Either would have done the trick...

ken morgan
Did a stupid last week ,shut my thumb in my pickup door ,felt better after i dug a hole in the nail with a razor blade to drain it ,to top it off shot a nail with a nail gun sunday ,it hit something and bent and went in the finger next to it ,was only a 15 gauge though ,thumbtack sized nail ,only went 3/4 inch through before it popped out the other side :laugh:
I have done that with a nail gun before..liked to **** my pants when it lodged on the inside of the fingernail...

Latest posts