Sharpening chain with no chain brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bore unto a block or trunk slightly higher than waist height with the tip of the saw higher than the power head. Otherwise I cut a slot about 1/3 the depth of the bar intoba block and use that. The key is having the bar/power head supported so nothing is flexing and moving when you sharpen. Also body position so your not straining your back.

What you are calling a chain vice clamps the drive links?
Ideal would be to clamp the actual cutter some how. At times I file with one hand and try to hold the chain close with the other.
Mine clamps the drive links. I've never had any issues with the cutter not being stable enough. The design is far from perfect but it works well.

Attachments

• IMG_5857-800.jpg
    IMG_5857-800.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5862-1024.jpg
    IMG_5862-1024.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5867-1024.jpg
    IMG_5867-1024.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 14
Hi,
I have an old Stihl 009 and a Shindaiwa multi pole pruner both with no chain brake. Anyone have a tip on how the lock the chain while sharpening. I'm currently holding the chain with one hand and filing with the other, I find it very dificult to keep the angles consistent.
Any help would be appreciated.
Ta
Jeff
This seems like a good idea if you use a file.

I'm not a logger who packs my gear and equipment a mile into the woods...

I have a regular old vise mounted to my woods wagon and one in my shop...

I clamp the bar in the vice and go to town with a properly tensioned chain so the chain doesn't rock back and forth and I myself find Husqvarna's filing gauge to be quite simple, easy, and quick to use.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accesso...g-equipment/combination-file-guide/505243501/

I never have nor felt the need to set the chainbrake when sharpening my chains.

This seems like a good idea if you use a file.
Great example of a home-made solution. Lots of ways to do things - people need to find something that works for them.

If you watch that video closely, you will see his file rocking or 'porposing' in each cut, even though he is using 2 hands on the file. He is clearly satisfied with his results. But avoiding that rocking is a reason why some guys like to use certain file guides.

Philbert

I would also add the video that Chris posted is from a series that is very informative. The B.C.Feller training has much to offer there are vids of felling leaners, hung up trees I think , wedging over, limbing , cutting logs to length with different pressure point on the tree. I would recommend anyone with a hour or so this evening look at them I bet you will learn something.

Latest posts

Back