Sharpening Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neither files, nor grinders, nor any of those other things are magic. If you don't understand what you are trying to do to the cutters you can ruin a chain as easily as sharpen it.

Once you decide what you want to do with the cutters, then you need to learn how to use the tool/method you selected to get there. This usually takes some practice, experience, and the development of some skill.

7sleeper is probably the most vocal and consistent advocate of the HF grinder, so I would listen to what he has to say about that method.

Philbert

So what do you do when your cutters are all uneven, or really jacked up? If you only hand file, do you even know your cutters are different lengths?

I use a Husky 2 in 1 file jig every time I fill the tank. It's super quick, and takes down the rakers at the same time. After a while though, maybe 6-10 sharpenings, it really pays off to put the chain on the grinder and square things up again.

Even though I try really hard to hand sharpen exactly the same for every cutter, they're never the same length in the end.

I'm not sure how you would ever keep the cutters uniform without grinding once in awhile.
I file the cutters back until they are sharp, then hit the rakers after 3-4 sharpening. Don't matter if the cutter are a bit different in length. Been doin it like this since 1977...

Now you guys are hijacking the thread to start a pissing contest over hand filing vs. Bench grinder. Make your own thread for that one, i'll actually chime in. :)
For the rest of you I've found another "mystery" .... is this cutting wheel what i really need or should i actually call the Stihl dealer and buy a "real" Stihl wheel to sharpen with. They are the same diameter shafts on the grinder so i'm sure they would be interchangeable. Also: how long does one of these wheels last give or take?

So what do you do when your cutters are all uneven, or really jacked up? If you only hand file, do you even know your cutters are different lengths?

o_O

Mid to large variations have always seemed pretty obvious to me while filing... Small variations in cutter length won't matter. If it's just one or two teeth that got rocked and subsequently filed way back, I don't care, as that won't affect much. If it's many, I'll spend some time and make things closer all around. I do check rakers to their respective teeth.

If one were to care, they could use a set of calipers to double check their eye gauge pretty easily. :cool:

Now, back to the topic of the thread... (for which I have nothing to add)

Now you guys are hijacking the thread to start a pissing contest over hand filing vs. Bench grinder. Make your own thread for that one, i'll actually chime in. :)
Welcome to AS. Actually you are lucky your thread is more or less still on track. Usually after the second post things get out of hand.

Also: how long does one of these wheels last give or take?

Can't tell you if better quality wheels are available for your grinder, or which fit.

For any grinder you need to regularly dress the wheels to expose fresh abrasive, which also affects wheel life. Otherwise you may 'burn' your cutters or get less satisfactory results.

They are a consumable, just like files.

Philbert

Back