Sharpening Critique Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbohnet

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got my new grinder and started practicing on a .325 chain that was given to me. The chain appears to have been sharpened with too large a file (I think). The new sharpened profile is substantially different and would like some critique of the attached pics. Grinding wheel is 1/8 with 1/16 radius, grinder angles set at 30/60. Do I need to grind deeper? Does the point in the middle of gullet need to be removed?
View attachment 169141
View attachment 169142

Also planning on purchasing CBN wheels and the options seem to be 60 or 80 grit.
Any comments or suggestions. Thanks.

Good pictures. I would have liked to see it from the other side. It looks like there should be a little clearing of the gullet (sp?).

Don't need no stinkin' pictures. Take it out and cut. Is it throwing chunks of wood in your face? Is it cutting with no pushing required? Is it cutting straight?

If the answer is yes to the first two for sure, probably a yes to the last one as I think I'm the only one in the world who has a problem cutting straight and a no to the last one could be you and not the chain, it is all right.

169141-old-profile-jpg

169142-new-profile-jpg

The rakers look high to me.

Gullet needs to go eventually, the cutters look good, rakers need lowered, at least checked to see if they need lowered. That chain looks like it was never touched by a file (from this angle).

Nice job.

Hard to say without seeing the other side of the cutter. I would knock down that little high spot in the gullet for sure.

Thanks for the responses. I don't have a saw that this chain fits on or I would try it. This is my practice chain to mess up. I have a sharpening business and need to make sure I have the neccessary knowlege and technique to properly sharpen chains. I purchased the Silvey 510 grinder which seems simple to use and performs well. I have attached some pics from the other side of chain. Perhaps this will raise some suggestions. It seems to me the 1/8 wheel is too small for this chain although this is what was recommended. When I line up a 3/16" file, which I believe is the correct size, to the new profile it does not seem to fit very well. Thanks again for your help.
View attachment 169213
View attachment 169214

How do you attached pics so they show up right in the post??

Here's a thread on posting pictures.
http://www.arboristsite.com/support-announcements/65204.htm

Not that I can tell to much from the pictures but it does seem like you may have taken more of the cutter than was necessary. If your selling chain that could be beneficial to you. I only take small bites til I get them where I want them.

The link below is full of good info.
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/114624.htm

I would agree, to much cutter. However that is not beyond what I see on a regular basis, just to much for me. Less you grind, faster you can sharpen=more chains=more money. I scan the chain to see if its been rocked or whats up, take a little off the first ones, and see how I'm doing. If its not enough on a couple cutters, they'll get the full monty next time or the time after. Rakers should come down some. Angles look OK. 30 degrees for semichisel, 25 degrees for full chisel. How much you charging?

The first picture of the inside the file was too high. In the ground cutter it looks much better.

That is after that chain made some cuts in oak. That's how I hand file all the time. I get 2 tanks or so before a touch up. It cuts right with the square ground I've been using.

It's about as low as I like in oak. In softer wood I would take another .005 off it. I was running it on the 2171. The 660 and 395 seem to like .030" rakers a little more than the 70cc saws.

Maybe, Im just going on what I have experienced. .

Mdavlee, .030 seems to be a happy medium between slow and becoming a handful, though the last time I used a raker guide I ended up with a circle borer so I have really not a clue what i cut them at really. As long as the saw pulls Im fine. Everybody has a different idea of what pulls means though. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Over .030" gets too grabby for me. I like a touch over .025". I don't use a gauge either. I just eyeball them most of the time and I'll check them every now and then with some feeler gauges.

I've got a oregon gauge but I don't like using it as it puts a tiny dull on the cutter when you file the rakers down. I use feeler gauges most of the time if I really want to get it perfect.

Latest posts

Back