sharpening Stihls tiny 1/4" pico chain?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27831
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to add that the tiny chain is one of the main design elements that make the Stihl cordless saws so effective. You are removing the minimum amount of wood so the saw is doing less work than if it had a larger chain. The wood in the bed of my Goose was cut with one charge of the batt. I felled the tree, limbed it up and bucked it. One charge.

lCSL3XN.jpg

I would like to add that the tiny chain is one of the main design elements that make the Stihl cordless saws so effective. You are removing the minimum amount of wood so the saw is doing less work than if it had a larger chain. The wood in the bed of my Goose was cut with one charge of the batt. I felled the tree, limbed it up and bucked it. One charge.

lCSL3XN.jpg
That goose looks our trailer for the riding lawn mower.

Is that sumac? Sure has wide spaced growth rings.

How many amp hour Stihl battery?

After talking to my Stihl dealer and a regional rep. about my concerns, they revealed to us that Stihlnow offers a “2 in 1” file for the 1/8 Picco. That replaces most of my concerns being both a guide a sturdy structure to keep the file from bending.

80b2f71d9c3cfb82a0d3c88e5e10ece0.jpg

I’ll look into the Dremel attachment as we already use a Dremel to sharpen our Beaver Blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I also use dremel for sharpening - always comes out perfect. do you have a part # for that dremel bit. just bought the 1/4 picco on a battery saw. love this saw - perfect for around the yard.

It's a 453 which is 5/32. Works just fine. I think they have a 453/4 which is a 4 pack. Don't grind on just one area of the grinding point [ aka the bit ].. They wear unevenly so keep an eye on it a use different areas on the point. Even with uneven wear if you keep working the larger diameter portions of the point across the tooth you get a good sharp cutting edge. Also get the Stihl chain gauge so you can quickly check the rakers. https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/filing-tools/depthgauge/

This thread is kind of old, but I thought I'd add my two cents. I use the 1/4 picco chain on a Stihl 140 and a telescoping pruning saw. You can touch up the chain a bit if it's dull, but if it needs the teeth reshaped, better to toss it. The chain cuts a kerf only a small bit wider than the bar thickness. If you file or grind the chain enough to cause a significant reduction in the kerf width, it won't work. Taking anything but the smallest amount of metal from the tooth renders the chain worthless. I find that the saw is so convenient, though, that I'm willing to put up with the situation.

Stihl has stones that fit the dremel with the 1/8" collet. The Stihl number is 0000-882-4104 and is available at stihl dealers or on Amazon. It is 3.5mm diameter (9/64) and works well on the 1/4" picco chain

Wait till you try that dam micro mini picco or whatever it’s called on the 150!!!!!

Back to your question.......get a grinder. And dress a thin wheel.

For the 150 chain here in the states I’m getting a thin CBN wheel.
1/8” files are spaghetti
I sharpen them for my arborist customers all the time using the thin Diamond Abrasives CBN wheel The rakers can be a pisser however. No dressing required, just cleaning with the supplied cleaner stone. 100% sold on CBN wheels. One Oregon grinder for the teeth and the other to set rakers.

Latest posts

Back