Sharpening your chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hedgerow,

Next time you do a grind have a close look at the tip of the tooth.
I bet the hook starts off the tip and the hook ends up as a profile in the bottom.

I've tried to get that correct hook on the tip of the tooth grinding but end up with a flat tip.
If I correct the grind to make hook under the tip the tooth angle starts to get to sharp.

Maybe it's possible with a grinder wheel that is well worn that the end of the grinder wheel is almost circular but for me at least they have all been flat square ended wheels.

I've worked with tree guys that swear grinders are the bees knees and guys that have the same thought about files and bar locks.

I was out using Stumpy the wonder saw yesterday.
In the same boat as you with a very dull, dirty, warn chain.
Own just 1 chain for Stumpy the wonder Poulan.

Lucky you, you have 2 of them LOL

Maybe it's possible with a grinder wheel that is well worn that the end of the grinder wheel is almost circular but for me at least they have all been flat square ended wheels.

all my grinder wheels come roundy on my USG...but I can make them whatever shape/profile I want with a dressing stone...unless you're putting down something else that I ain't pickin' up?

@ the OP...I prefer hand filing (Stihl file and guide), but use a grinder (Stihl USG) for major damage (more than 10 strokes). practice has made my hand filing better. one thing I will not do is grind rakers...not enough control...too easy to take too much. I like to clamp the bar in my bench vise and file there.

one time I took some sharpening advice on AS...lesson learned. ;)
I just figured out what worked for me thru trial and error.

Hedgerow,

I bet the hook starts off the tip and the hook ends up as a profile in the bottom.

I've tried to get that correct hook on the tip of the tooth grinding but end up with a flat tip.
If I correct the grind to make hook under the tip the tooth angle starts to get to sharp.

I've worked with tree guys that swear grinders are the bees knees and guys that have the same thought about files and bar locks.

If you didn't receive a silicon carbide "brick" for shaping the grinder wheels, they can be obtained separately, like from Baileys or NT. Absolutely no excuse for square section grinder wheel. Regular use of the brick to dress the wheel also keeps it clean and "sharp". As I've learned from Philbert, degreasing chains before grinding helps keep wheels sharp, too.

Meanwhile, since I got an NT grinder for $100 back in Dec. it's enabled me easily to restore dozens of chains for buds who'd used them for "landscaping". With extreme little metal removal, I should add. It's earned its cost many times over already, and just getting started.

I wouldn't obsess about the hook, but about the edge.

Hedgerow,

My silvey has an 8" CBN wheel with a rounded profile.. Big, Cool, and never changes shape...
Like I said before...
It ain't the arrow...
It's the indian...

I've got a bench grinder, a rotary grinder and files. They all have their use but in my opinion, hand file for touching up after each tank or two, rotary when the hand file is becoming a chore and the bench grinder when the chain is a real mess. You need to use the rotary grinder after the bench grinder to get the curve back in the teeth. I tried the bench grinder for a year without reshaping the teeth and thought it was good until I pulled out the rotary grinder and WOW, much better cutting.
Obviously, a lot depends upon what you are cutting as to how often you need to sharpen. I used to wait until the chips turned to sawdust and now, I try to keep the chains sharp all the time and the job is so much easier.

Back