Sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cootie

Reaction score
New to site. looking for recommendations. I cut about 10-12 cord a year to heat my welding shop. I can sharpen with a file and have been doing so for over 20 years. Trouble is some of my welding customers are dropping off chains for me to sharpen. I'm considering buying the Stihl USG, Maxx or Oregon. I'm willing to spend between $300-$500. Looking forward to your recommendations and your reasons why. Thanks in advance.

Oregon 511ax/Speed Sharp/Jolly Star (made by same company, different packaging) does a good job. On the downside, the vise is fragile and the degree indicator is difficult to see with the vise tilted.

No experience with the other two you mentioned.

Hyd Assist

If your gonna start doing alot then you'll want the one with the Hydraulic Assist Clamp, the motion of the Grinder Head going down closes the chain clamp automaticly, it'll save you a bunch of wrist twistin ( I don't have one! But I want one :) )

I also have the 511ax and like it alot. I'm finding like mentioned before that the hydro assist would have been nice :msp_cool:

Used to have an old Efco and that did a good job, it was just getting worn out and I couldn't find any of the bushings needed to take the slop out of the head. No use for a head that will move back and forth 1-2mm if you're not careful.

Thanks for the replies gentelmen.
I was at a Stihl dealer today and asked about The USG. The rep said he had one in stock. I told him I'de think about it. When I was leaving he handed me his business card and said to call him anytime. So I handed him my business card that says welding, fabrication and repair. He look it over asked some questions and made some small talk. I was headed for the door when he said he would sell me the USG for $150. Hmmmm, he must need some welding done. I told him I'll get back to him on that.
I agree about the hydralic assit on the vise. Probably worth spending the extra money.

Just a thought but a bunch of people have had problems with the hydraulic assist ones losing prime if not used several times everyday, as well as if an o ring or something goes bad your back to no way to sharpen a chain untill parts get their to fix grinder. I think it would be a nice feature but only if your doing several chains everyday

Just a thought but a bunch of people have had problems with the hydraulic assist ones losing prime if not used several times everyday, as well as if an o ring or something goes bad your back to no way to sharpen a chain untill parts get their to fix grinder. I think it would be a nice feature but only if your doing several chains everyday

That's good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

I shopped online for the Oregon 109179 Bench Grinder with Hydraulic Assist and the prices were from $449 up to $499. Called a mom and pop shop in my area and they said they could order me one for $400. Now I'm leaning towards that model.
Not too worried about the potential hydraulic problems. I have just about every size O ring in stock. If it becomes a big PITA I'll change it over to pneumatic.

Try to find an old Foley 308 with the a pedestal. The one I have has a foot operated clamp mechanism. The only things to break are the spring, chain or tensioner arm...which none are likely too.

Grinder

I purchased a Jolly Star from Baileys. As a matter of fact the one I bought is now selling for a lower price. I am able to do a great job on a 16-18 chain within a matter of minutes.Baileys has a video on this grinder, Ken

attachment.php

Back