Shaver Improvement Forum.... one year later

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure you read the other thread about hooking up the hot water.

There is only about a minute wait at the very most before water is hot coming out the faucet. Probably not even that.

Only slightly longer wait than when the electric is heating it.

This saves me about $30-$40 a month off of the electric bill.

Well worth a few seconds of waiting.

Even if you factor in the price of another pump, it will pay for itself shortly.

I'm sure you read the other thread about hooking up the hot water.

There is only about a minute wait at the very most before water is hot coming out the faucet. Probably not even that.

Only slightly longer wait than when the electric is heating it.

This saves me about $30-$40 a month off of the electric bill.

Well worth a few seconds of waiting.

Even if you factor in the price of another pump, it will pay for itself shortly.

No I didn't see that before, just now did.....I jsut go to my User CP to check threads...haven't browsed the Firewood/ Heating forum in awhile - thanks!!!

Yeah I can just completely bypass the WH OR do the pump idea - that's basically what Shaver recommends in their book I think...anyways, thanks for bringing that thread to my attention!!!

Last edited:
I just checked the air temp coming from the vents in the house.
150F water temp at stove= 115F at vent
What do you guys think?
Also, how do I add my "stuff" to the bottom of my posts i.e. chainsaws,tractor, etc.

A DHW recirc pump works real good on our 165...hot water at the tap in seconds...we worth the $100 cost....less waste water to the septic tank too...

Fired up yesterday at 12:00 noon, just about an hour to get up to temp, unbeleivable!!!!!!!, the stock setup would take 4-5 hours with the damper 1/4 open, set at 145 and 10 deg. diff., working perfect. :cheers:

same experience here. World of difference seen on startup.

Amazing how fast they can recover,and build temps when they can get a good amount of air to the fan inlet isnt it?With mine bone stock and up on blocks,and stock insulation,i needed the door 2/3 open just too keep it from cooling below 160...with the blower on....

Still have some smoke coming out during the down cycle, but open the door and no fire or anything, just black charcoal wood, so far a big improvement on wood usage, Don't know if I'll get by with once a day when it gets real cold but so far all's good, this forum and all the idea's is going to save us all a bunch of wood:clap: Thanks guys, Bruce

It works like a completely different machine now!

Thank you everyone!

You'd think Shaver would have these mods right from the factory. They aren't that expensive or hard to do.

Still have some smoke coming out during the down cycle, but open the door and no fire or anything, just black charcoal wood, so far a big improvement on wood usage, Don't know if I'll get by with once a day when it gets real cold but so far all's good, this forum and all the idea's is going to save us all a bunch of wood:clap: Thanks guys, Bruce

It works like a completely different machine now!

Thank you everyone!

You'd think Shaver would have these mods right from the factory. They aren't that expensive or hard to do.

trshmn - exactly the same here - I can go 24 hrs now on 1 load of wood pretty easily. After I get the Vacu-Stack chimney cap on in the next few days we'll see if it makes any difference with the rain we've been having

Windwalker - absolutely right - it's completely different - even the wife commented on how little I had to tend to the stove. I think I've got ~$200 in all these mods - very inexpensive for the payback you get

? to all - with doublewall chimney are you guys slamming the insulation directly against it or leaving an airspace? I've got a home-made triplewall basically and left insulation ~ 2" from the chimney. Think this will promote condensation in that airspace in the cold months? Roof is defintely warm and would not hold snow right above that airspace.

I used the double wall pipe around the chimney. I believe it was you that posted that link it. The one from ACE hardware. That's the one I got.

Anyway, I filled the whole attic of the Shaver with that pink insulation and wrapped some around the chimney too.

To be honest, I didn't check for condensation. I didn't have a problem last year without the doublewall slid over the chimney.

Next time out, I'll check. Might be a while, since the wood lasts so long now, LOL.

I filled the whole attic area with insulation, so yes mine is against the insulated pipe, the whole roof feels cold on outside and don't see any condensation on inside. :cheers:

I used the double wall pipe around the chimney. I believe it was you that posted that link it. The one from ACE hardware. That's the one I got.

Anyway, I filled the whole attic of the Shaver with that pink insulation and wrapped some around the chimney too.

To be honest, I didn't check for condensation. I didn't have a problem last year without the doublewall slid over the chimney.

Next time out, I'll check. Might be a while, since the wood lasts so long now, LOL.

if you wrapped the chimney with insuation you certainly won't get condensation. I left a 2" airspace b/t my insulation and the chimney because I didn't want the insulation to charr/ burn/ get too hot. The old solargaurd I took out was wicked charred.

No, it has triple wall pipe around the shaver pipe, from the top of water jacket up through the roof

cool. I've been tryin to feel the chimney inside mine (triple wall under the roof) and it doesn't feel that hot to the touch after it's been running awhile. Can't hold your hand on it for long but.....anyways. thanks man, I'll prolly layer more insulation directly around the chimney thi sweekend when I put the chimney cap on.

Thanks again.

I finally got everything finished and fired it up yesterday! Im very happy so far,in fact the insulation changes have definetely helped.When I reinsulated the bottom,I got a lot of spots i didnt get last winter when it was on the shipping pallet.I am noticing that its holding 180 degrees with the damper shut forever.The wood use is down,from last spring,when temps were similar to what they are now.Its been 37-42 during the day and 30-33 at night with wind and not much sun...I had to work in the rain and wind a bit,but i think im finally done working on this thing for now....pics to follow.

Back