shelter logic for wood shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It ain't drying in your pole barn either.
The relative humidity jumps to 100% within a few minutes during a rain.
Water will not evaporate at 100% relative humidity... even under a roof.
Even if it did... the firewood just 3 or 4 rows deep in my stack are just as protected as that in your pole barn... the rainwater just runs off the ends of the splits on the top rows. And those top rows will lose all the rain wetting after a couple hours of sun... even after several days of rain.

Store your firewood wherever you're comfortable... but putting "green" firewood under cover slows the "drying"... always has... always will.

That's where you would be mistaken... I've done it both ways... And everyone I sell to prefers the stuff under roof... There is no argument on that...
It's ok to be wrong spidey... And this time, it's your turn...:hmm3grin2orange:

I keep it covered from September till April, May to August stays in the sunlight. That has seemed to work best so far. But this year, we may be uncovering a little earlier.

Papa always said, "Boy keep your wood covered, otherwise bad things can happen."

Always listen to papa.

The sun definatly dries it the best. Just last month I went to the wood pile that I split this winter, and the south facing side was drie and warm to the touch on a 40 deg day. The back side how ever still had ice and 6 inches of snow on it. The problem is getting the sun and not getting the rain or nightly dew. If I leave it uncovered here in snh it will turn to fungas. I am hoping that by keeping all moisture off the wood will negate some of the effects of no sun. This past year I stacked 10X10X6 piles in the sun with juust a raised tarp over the top only. The outside rows were the only ones dry. the next row in wasn't ready. If I were to stack single rows of wood. The foot print would be in the 40X40 range for 15 cord. if the math is close. That is way to much yard to sacrifice for heat unless you have some good acreage. be nice to have an automated retractable roof for the shed. Maybe a good project for when the kids move out.

Hmmmm.....
My papa always said, "Boy, if'n ya' got somethin' you're proud of, put a roof over it."

So now ya' know why I maintain my beer belly!!!

Hahahaha!!! That's why I keep the Dolmar's in the shop baby!!!
Ok... And 2 stihl's...:msp_rolleyes: but I ain't proud of them!!!

I can't be wrong... it's not possible... I just can't be wrong... not me... Wrong? No way... not me!

Nope,,, your not wrong... Your not right either...

Grandpas wisdom holds much knowledge... Grandpas wisdom can also come with a fair amount of BS. (I don't mean YOUR grandpa,, I mean ANY grandpa)

Here's what I do.
I cut to 16 inches, and stack on home made pallets that measure 3 feet wide there are two rows of stacked wood. I alternate the way the wood is facing every time I go a higher in the stack. When I get to about 4 feet in height, I go bark side up that spans the 4 inch gap between the rows, and then starting on the outside continue to stack until I get a little bit of a pitched roof all with the bark side up.

So I have a roof that also gets full sun. Works great

Back