Shindaiwa 488 runs for a little then dies...symptoms. ....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tifford

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
Here are my symptoms for my 488 shinny.
1. It starts
2. It runs for maybe 2 minutes then dies
3. If I let it rest for a while it will start up again
4. I noticed that gas is leaking under the metal on/off switch where there is a gap between the handle and the engine compartment.
5. The chainsaw feels like it has a ton of compression. I'm a fairly big guy and it takes a lot to crank it over.

It has a wall Boro carburetor. The same fuel is used in another shindaiwa 488 and it ran fine today.

I opened up the top part today. On the left side of the carburetor I believe is the fuel intake. It is just behind here that I saw fuel coming out of the saw. On the right side of the carburetor I believe is a return to the gas tank fuel line. When I look inside the gas tank I only see the fuel line with the filter attached.

I took the fuel delivery line out and it seems to not have any cracks in it. However the grummet that is apart of the fuel intake line has what appears to be a small defect in it.

When I start both 488s with the same fuel, I noticed the leaky one put out a little more smoke then the one that runs fine.

It will be the first thing I'll check Sunday morning. Thanks!

I believe the second line you are talking about is an impulse line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the same symptoms on another saw. You should check the fueltank vent. Sometimes they got clogged. So after turning the engine on, the gastank runs vaccum and engine dies by lack of fuel.

After cleaning or replacing the gastank vent, also check the rest of the fuel line and gas filter.

Just wanted you guys to know I haven't forgotten about you. Chainsaw is on hold while I deal with Murphys Law concerning other things.

I also suspect it may be the coil. Venting problems don't usually wait that long and once a carb needing rebuilt dies in the cut it usually won't allow it to fire again until rebuilt.
You should also check the condition of the piston through the exhaust and or intake.

Back