Shindaiwa 757

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up a Shindaiwa 757 chainsaw today off craigslist. The previous owner had purchased it new with the idea of clearing 30 acres of land, but ended up hiring a faller. He used the saw for a couple of hours to limb and buck some of the wood. It carries a 32" bar that looks brand new along with a full wrap handle, double dogs, and professional air filter. I'm thinking this was a decent deal for $500 plus an extra $20 I gave him for gas as he drove a good distance out of his way to deliver it personally. This saw should be more than enough for anything I will want to do. I've got a 488 and a 360 for the smaller stuff.
Did I do good or not? :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Well, if he only used it for a few hours...hell yeah.

$741 OTD here for one with a 28", $15 more for the 42". She will be lightening fast with a 24" or 26" bar on it!

Wish I had a 488 and a 757...I am too cheap I guess, or perhaps I just haven't come across the right deal yet!

How do you like the 360? My dad bought one when I made off with his old 350 - sounds like I got the better deal as he hasn't had the best luck with it.

You need to woods port it and open the exhaust up on it! I am going to try some stuff on my 416. Check out the 'tuned pipe' thread (I think it is on the secong page in now) and follow the link in the tread. Read up on the articles, some good info! Shindaiwa saws kinda get a bad reputation as they are (admittedly) somewhat out of date. But, they are hell for reliable!

By the way, that full wrap handle and extra buck-spike is worth a few more dollars! You did good at $520.

My catalouge shows a 28" max and dealer will only sell with a 24 or 28. Didn't know you could go bigger on the 757 is this right?
Andy

there a pretty loud saw without the exhaust done id be wary of noise.

sawinredneck said:
My catalouge shows a 28" max and dealer will only sell with a 24 or 28. Didn't know you could go bigger on the 757 is this right?
Andy

Dealers here asked me 24", 28" or 32". They will sell me the saw with my choice. I would prefer having a 26" and a 32". I think the 32" would slow the saw WAY down. It would be nice to have the big bar when needed, or on a modded saw, but stock I think it wouldn't pack enough grunt to run it to the full potential.

a_lopa said:
there a pretty loud saw without the exhaust done id be wary of noise.
Ah, with earplugs in and muffs over-top, the noise wouldn't bother ya! And besides, I don't think any saw meets EPA dB requirements...so no issues there!

360 Shindaiwa

I picked up the 360 used off e-bay for around $120. It is what it is which is a fine little saw for some lighter duty cutting. My only misgiving is the single bar stud. I haven't had any problems, but I haven't pushed it either. I know for light work, the light weight makes it a joy. I used it on some small maples last year and it worked great. It was giving me problems starting when I let it sit for 20 minutes or so, but somebody clued me in on setting the trigger for fast idle and it solved the problem.

32" bar

I measured the bar as I was also curious about this. 32" from the front of the sprocket cover to the tip. It is an Oregon bar and when I typed in the dimensions on their website this is the bar they came up with. I probably don't need all the length and will most likely down size when the time is right.
I touched up the chain this evening and it definately has more chompers on it than my smaller machines. A guy could go through a file in a hurry.

have they adressed the muffler falling off issue with this model.

Latest posts

Back