Shop Re-Sharpened Chains vs. Factory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stump vise, sharp file, and hand sharpening guide. Ten minutes and it's throwing chips. When it's not throwing chips it's time for a break anyway, and a few strokes with the sharp file. Bought the files 5 at a time, the chains 2 at a time, and a bar and sprocket. Keeping them in rotation, and they should last a good, long time.

Cliff
What happens if you hit something metal, or a rock?

Get a good grinder...

Take a chain like this....
IMG_2143.JPG

Turn it into a chain that cuts better than new...like these....
IMG_2071.JPG IMG_2148.JPG

These chain were sharpened with an Oregon 520 grinder....I use both stone wheels and CBN wheels....a great set-up!!!!!

I should add, I still hand file too, I actually like to hand file...I have a full time job, woman, 18-month old girl, cut wood on the side, rebuild saws obsessively, etc....as you can see getting spare time was a problem for me.....I decided to try the grinder...now I can add that I sharpen chains on the side and have paid for 1 of my 2-CBN wheels with sharpening profits already....

I was the guy that said "grinders can't possibly do what files can"....well guys quite frankly I was wrong, if you have some motor skills, are not a ham fisted Neanderthal, and practice on the grinder, you can turn out great chains....

Those pics are impressive. Looks as good as a good hand filing. I have a grinder,an old stand up Foley something and I never could get a decent grind with it which is why I have stuck to hand filing. I don't have anything against grinders per say but taking chains on and off saws was always a pain to me. I almost bought a grinder, but cold feet, but I am going to consider the Oregon grinder if I ever do sharpening for the public.

FYI Through the course of this thread it was mentioned numerous times of excessive grinding and burned cutters. A Stihl dealer we had would do that on purpose to sell more chain . He was kind of a crook but he didn't care . Your average person doesn't know a good job from a poor one. I am sure some shops don't do this on purpose but is just more lack of knowledge as to what and how to properly sharpen a chainsaw chain. To much attention is directed to the top plate angle verses the side plate which does the actual cutting in conjunction with the depth gauge.

Those pics are impressive. Looks as good as a good hand filing. I have a grinder,an old stand up Foley something and I never could get a decent grind with it which is why I have stuck to hand filing. I don't have anything against grinders per say but taking chains on and off saws was always a pain to me. I almost bought a grinder, but cold feet, but I am going to consider the Oregon grinder if I ever do sharpening for the public.

FYI Through the course of this thread it was mentioned numerous times of excessive grinding and burned cutters. A Stihl dealer we had would do that on purpose to sell more chain . He was kind of a crook but he didn't care . Your average person doesn't know a good job from a poor one. I am sure some shops don't do this on purpose but is just more lack of knowledge as to what and how to properly sharpen a chainsaw chain. To much attention is directed to the top plate angle verses the side plate which does the actual cutting in conjunction with the depth gauge.

Most dealers treat the guys that know how to sharpen and repair saws like dog poo, so you will rarely get someone that knows how to sharpen a chain properly..
But then, there is always the dealer that uses a robot type sharpener.....

You should have put up a pic of the same cutter!
Well those were my good customer "joes" chains....he will bring them back in the same horrific condition next time......I feel sorry for some of these guys saws!

No matter what condition I get a chain, they all look like the finished ones I pictured....I only take pictures of the worst chains, no one cares about the "easy fixes" LOL.....

Thanks......when I try something new, I always give it my best....change is hard, I keep an open mind....I have the problem of always trying to find a better way of doing things....sometimes I succeed sometimes I don't....a person will never get better saying "only this one, single way will work".....

I dont get into the "my way is best" type of thing....I just post actual results that I get, good or bad....

A lot of guys that have the have the answer yet never produce pics??????

That's messed up about that dealer, pretty pitiful....

Hell man give your old grinder another go...just take your time, get to know her LOL....you just may get to like her!!!!!!

Semi-chisel ground
IMG_2022.JPG

Showing how if you grind correctly a file has the same profile, ( hard pic to take) never posted this pic before...
IMG_2085.JPG

A vanguard chain I saved from the dead pile(almost took to much off the rakers!!!)
IMG_2032.JPG

RS chisel
IMG_1358.JPG

Just a touch up with CBN wheel
IMG_1667.JPG

Wow chains all look like new I think I shoot for moon to much mine look seriously wore. lol I will send pics when I sharpen . Chains are just broke in when bottom of link start rolling a bur lol [emoji106]

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Wow chains all look like new I think I shoot for moon to much mine look seriously wore. lol I will send pics when I sharpen . Chains are just broke in when bottom of link start rolling a bur lol [emoji106]

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
Yes most of the ones I happen to have pics of have a lot of life left.....however, when a customer brings them to me, they look rode hard and put away wet!!!!....

I also sharpen chains until the teeth break off....

I should add, I didnt mean to sound rude to anyone!!!!

dbb62ca86c74b1a7890705cceda63620.jpg

Just got my hands on an old Silvey square grinder. Cuts like a hot chainsaw through butter

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Those are really nice clear pictures you have there good job .
I have an opinion on chain life myself. I cut my firewood in the winter on snow. my tree length never touches the bare ground,.. ever. That makes a world of difference in how long a chain lasts. I used to cut in the summer and pull to the yard with the old Allis Chalmers. When you went to saw the tree length into stove length the bottom of every cut was a hardened dirt slog fest. Might sharpen every 3 trees maybe every 2.
Now with the Kubota and Farmi Winch I cut in winter and how long a chain lasts me would get people really typing so I will leave that part out. I run my chains till the teeth break off when I am missing 4-5 teeth I give her up. But that takes a while. I have always hand sharpened I had no idea that you could have a machine do it for you at the dealer till maybe 1985? I never knew anyone and still don't that owns a sharpening machine although I must admit I love machines so maybe....
Now I have a Granberg File-N-Joint a friend gave it to me he had 2 and had no idea what they were, but I still hand file without that but I almost never have to sharpen in the woods. I take 2 saws one chain each about 10 cord per year. That's just me Your mileage may vary.

Those are really nice clear pictures you have there good job .
I have an opinion on chain life myself. I cut my firewood in the winter on snow. my tree length never touches the bare ground,.. ever. That makes a world of difference in how long a chain lasts. I used to cut in the summer and pull to the yard with the old Allis Chalmers. When you went to saw the tree length into stove length the bottom of every cut was a hardened dirt slog fest. Might sharpen every 3 trees maybe every 2.
Now with the Kubota and Farmi Winch I cut in winter and how long a chain lasts me would get people really typing so I will leave that part out. I run my chains till the teeth break off when I am missing 4-5 teeth I give her up. But that takes a while. I have always hand sharpened I had no idea that you could have a machine do it for you at the dealer till maybe 1985? I never knew anyone and still don't that owns a sharpening machine although I must admit I love machines so maybe....
Now I have a Granberg File-N-Joint a friend gave it to me he had 2 and had no idea what they were, but I still hand file without that but I almost never have to sharpen in the woods. I take 2 saws one chain each about 10 cord per year. That's just me Your mileage may vary.
Well said sir!!!!

I love to touch my chains up with a hand file from time to time....since I have gotten close to the grinder, I use it more than I ever thought I would....I bought it assuming I would only ever use it in rocked chains....well I like to really learn any kind of machine I am using, so when we got "acquainted", I was shocked at how well it worked....

I am just a chain "geek", I like hand filling and grinding LOL!!!!!

Latest posts

Back