Shopping cameras

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think OP was talking $500 not $5,000. This leaves a very limited budget.

Oh ... I guess why $500 didn't strike my imagination was the mention of maybe "semi pro" cameras mentioned in the OP.

Because something like a Canon T3i will probably be $500 for the body alone, and it's barely semi-pro ..

But maybe that's what they meant was $500 on the body alone, intending more for lenses later.

500 would be great, but I'm quickly learning that if I want to dive off the deep end, that ain't gonna cut it. It'd sure be nice to stay under 1K though.

mesupra, I looked at a couple of reviews on the SX50, I don't think it's what I want. Pretty slow in burst mode, and didn't rate too well in low light either.

Don't forget the SLRs all have an "auto" button. I am in the market for a $450 SLR from either Canon or Nikon myself. I think feel is important. Hold it in your hands, do you like the feel of the shutter?

Don't forget the SLRs all have an "auto" button. I am in the market for a $450 SLR from either Canon or Nikon myself. I think feel is important. Hold it in your hands, do you like the feel of the shutter?

This is not true at all. Only entry level cameras are going to that the auto settings. Now You will still get automatic exposure if yopu use aperture or shutter priority modes you are still going to need to know what those setting are going to do to get the certain effect needed.

to OP not sure how far up NW you are but Eau Claire craigslis had a couple nice bargains the other day.

Last edited:
Dont usually look at the EC cl, will check it out tonight. Im about 2 hours NW of there, pretty much on the MN border.

500 would be great, but I'm quickly learning that if I want to dive off the deep end, that ain't gonna cut it. It'd sure be nice to stay under 1K though.

mesupra, I looked at a couple of reviews on the SX50, I don't think it's what I want. Pretty slow in burst mode, and didn't rate too well in low light either.

I don't know much about Nikon, other than Nikon obviously has good stuff too.

On the Canon end, The T series, like T2i, T3i, T4i, etc., are known for very good video on top of pretty good photos.

Had a T2i and it was great. But word of advice, the T3i and more recent, have an articulating screen on the back, which can be worth it's weight in gold for composition. Because the camera can be held on the ground, overhead, etc., etc.. Even my 5D Mk II does not have that, and I often go to my 60D when I need the articulating screen.

Probably better to have a pretty good camera with a really nice lens or lenses, than a super expensive camera with cheapo lenses.

Now ... these were taken with an $1100 lens, but look what a 135mm prime lens does for a tractor ...

BTW ... if you went like the T2i or T3i route with Canon, there's this new 40mm pancake lens that came out, and it's got great reviews. Pretty much 50mm prime lens like photos, maybe better, but the lens can be found new or used for under $150.

I just saw a Canon T3i with the 18-55mm kit lens for $475 on Craigslist just now. And that's actually an okay starter lens. So lets suppose you had got that camera, and added more yourself.

Canon T3i w/ 18-55mm > $475

Canon 40mm prime > $120

Canon 70-200mm f/4 L > $600 - ish

That, as an example, used, is under $1200. You could probably deal-down to about $1100. And that's with one Canon "L" lens. Not as fast as the f/2.8 0-200mm, but virtually as sharp.

On a combo like this, the first lens you would upgrade would likely be the 18-55mm kit lens. And you would have dozens of choices, from Canon, to Sigma, to Tamron, to Tokina, etc..

Last edited:
I'll have to check out this 40mm lens they have now.

Not everybody agrees with all Rockwell writes, but the guy still has a ton of experience.

40mm Review >> Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM Review

It's f/2.8 ain't as fast as a Canon 50mm 1.4, but the 40mm is not over $399 like the 50mm either.

I've had the Canon 50mm 1.8 which is closer to $100, but would probably rather have the 40mm if I was to add an inexpensive backup. But I do have both full frame and crop sensor cameras. Some reviews suggest the 40mm may not be the way to go on a crop sensor like a T2i.

In that case, $100 to $399 isn't that bad to get a 50mm 1.8 or a 50mm 1.4 ... if a prime is desired that is. Attached are a couple of photos taken with the Canon 50mm 1.4, which is the $399 lens.

Last edited:
Here are a couple with descent prices. This combo wouls havew you shooting low light autio racing like a pro, and this camera body has the auto setting to get you started until you get brave enough to take control. This is an upper entry level camera body with a professional lens. A little bargaining on both would get you under $1000. That camera can do 720p video as well but from what I understand it is a joke, and I always said video on an SLR was just a gimmick to sell more to soccer moms.

Nikon 80-200 AF-D 2.8

D90 body with good condition

Forgot about your other question. My favorite magazine is outdoor Photographer. As far as books go......I got nuttin. Best learning tool is experience. Find a phto group and ask questions and read all you can on web sites. Start buy learning what your aperture is and what it does to a photo at differnet focal lengths, but also learn that it really doesnt matter how it affects the look of a photo in low light cause you just have to shoot wide open to get the fastest shutter speed possible unless you are doing long timed exposures like capturing lightening. I think this was about a 2.5 minute exposure if memory serves me.

lihgtning0023.jpg

Start out with used equipment (you can always sell it) then get new stuff if the bug bites you IMO

But stay away from a pro photogs gear more than likely it will be used up; check how many pic's the used camera has taking

When picking a camera the best thing you can do is go to a camera store and hold them in your hands and take a few shots with them. If no camera store is near find a best buy or other large electronics store and go play with them. I strongly suggest sticking with Nikon or Cannon. Either brand you choose you have plenty of support right here to help you out.

Now when holding them and playing with them pay special attention to how the shutter release button feels in your hand. That is the button you need to feel the most comfortable with. The rest you will just get used to out of repetitive use. You will also want to navigate the menu system. Being able to find setting you want with ease could mean the difference between getting the shot or fumbling with a camera. I chose Nikon for both of these reasons. Others choose Canon for the same reason. It is all going to be what you like for you.

I have shot Sony products for the last 5 years, first an A-380 then i boght the 580, which was a tremendous improvement, but i recently had the opportunity to purchase a Canon 7D and some gear at an outrageous price which I did. Being that most of the shooting I do is sports, Football, Soccer etc, I could not believe the differance once again between the 580 and the 7D. Your problem with blurry images at low light could be more from the settings you start off with that the camera itself, try adjusting your ISO factor and shooting from an aperture mode rather than full Auto. Whatever brand you buy take the time to understand the operation of the body, read some websites and dont be afraid to ask questions. You will see a big differance in the quality of your shots. Rather than using a tripod I use mainly a monopod, they are not as cumbersome and will hold the shot steady. If you are looking for a used camera, I have stayed away from craigslist, I have been jipped once off of sellers from there and that was once enough. I have bought much equipment from a site called KEH, and had some that Ive had to send back without any hassle from them. Many Camera stores will also rent you a lens for events that require longer glass, you can always see if thats the right lens for the job needed, and as one earlier post said about the quality of glass, the Lens is as or more improtant than the body itself. have fun, photography is a hobby that can easily consume you, kinda like chainsaws.

I would agree to go used.

If you go to national camera in mn, you should be able to get a used Nikon d70 and a Nikkor zoom for 500 used. I might even have a lens for you? PM me.

Tis year we upgraded from a d70 to a d7000, and the difference is noticeable, but the d70 takes great pics, even though it is only 5.1 mp!

I would agree to go used.

If you go to national camera in mn, you should be able to get a used Nikon d70 and a Nikkor zoom for 500 used. I might even have a lens for you? PM me.

Tis year we upgraded from a d70 to a d7000, and the difference is noticeable, but the d70 takes great pics, even though it is only 5.1 mp!

5.1 megapixels is pretty dang small.

I'd go for the d7000 and just deal with the extra few hundred. Supposed to be good.

Just remembered the OP mentioning racing. And that leaves me thinking a used Canon 7D with it's two processors.

Last edited:
National Camera is on my list for sure next time I get down that way. I work in Circle Pines, so it's not a long trip there before work, just haven't got a "Round Toit" yet...

5.1 megapixels is pretty dang small.

I'd go for the d7000 and just deal with the extra few hundred. Supposed to be good.

Just remembered the OP mentioning racing. And that leaves me thinking a used Canon 7D with it's two processors.

5.1MP is plenty when dealing with an SLR. If I had to go out on a limb I would say 95% of all photos taken these days are re sized for web use. 4.5% will most likely go to china-mart to be printed at 4X6 inch prints. The other .5% will be printed no larger than 8X10. 5.1MP will easily get you 16X20 prints, and I have even done 20X30 prints from my old 5MP Nikon D1x.

This is why I always say "Dont get caught up in the MP wars"

Now serious hobbyists, and pros will change all those percentages above but we are not talking about a pro here.

Back in 2004 or 2005 I took pic's for a few sprint car teams and we made those pic's into vinyl cover for the back of there sprint car haulers that covered the whole tail end of them (7 ft by 10 ft +/-) those pic's were taking with Nikon D70s

If I get some free time this week I'll look for them

Late 90's till around 2005 the D70s was one of my back up bodies I carried every were

Just remember glass is were it's at !

:D

Back