Short bar - Heavy chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only issue that has been brought to my attention on the use of .404 chain on a regular basis on small saws that wouldn't normally have the option to run it would be bearing issues. I can see the truth to that with a much heavier chain, bigger kerf, etc. it can't be as smooth cutting as the 3/8 or .325.

I'd recommend looking into those issues if this is something you wish to do on a fulltime basis. I don't cut a whole lot....

Just passing along an observation I received from someone else on the matter who has had to replaced crank bearings - more than once - on the same saw.

I don't see the bearings wearing out any faster than on a saw running a longer bar. I would think .404" on a 20" should put about as much wear as 3/8" on a 24". The weight of the chain spinning around should be close.

I've been curious about this myself. Been thinking of running a 20" .404 setup on my 660 for bucking Hedge/Oak/Locust... Especially if would hold a hedge longer or if it was in the least, less susceptible to chain stretch...

My 750 that you tried out at the last GTG had a full comp .404" Stihl full chisel on a 36" bar. It seems to work OK with that saw huh?:msp_rolleyes:

I've got an XP 1020 with a Stihl 1/2" semi chisel on a bar a little over 20" long. You get to experience the true definition of non anti-vibe after making/surviving a cut with it. It pulls some chunks of wood out of the cut and you can feel every one of them as it does it.:msp_scared:

Last edited:
My 750 that you tried out at the last GTG had a full comp .404" Stihl full chisel on a 36" bar. It seems to work OK with that saw huh?:msp_rolleyes:

I've got an XP 1020 with a Stihl 1/2" semi chisel on a bar a little over 20" long. You get to experience the true definition of non anti-vibe after making/surviving a cut with it. It pulls some chunks of wood out of the cut and you can feel every one of them as it does it.:msp_scared:

Sounds like that MAC 35 of mine with it's either 1/2" or 7/8" chain. Either way it's basically a log chain w/teeth and full throttle is somewhere in the diesel RPM band,... LOL It will give you a workout. I do love that 750 though. It ran tough and had a wonderful sound that new saws just can't match. I'd love to drop that in a monster Hackleberry,... Or, in some Oaks on my Great Uncle's place just South of Shasta CA.

Ok so dumb question: Can I roll a .404 on my 0.63-3/8" bar, or do I need a new bar/drive sprocket just to test this theory?

You need a .404 tip (unless it's a hard nose bar) and a .404 drive sprocket/rim and make sure the gauge is the same.

I was just thinking of some past experiences with my 660 and Midwestern hardwood while running 3/8" chain. Several time the cutter edges on the chain have become randomly dog eared (w/o hitting any foreign objects to my knowledge) courtesy of Hedge and Red Oak.... I wonder if .404 would fare better against this?

Is that all you do, b1tch? Let someone like something with out you b1tching all about it. Do you have a life?

I know I've been away from the site for a while, so maybe I missed something along the way, but what is with this sudden resurgence of raggin' on ST? I've seen it in a handful of posts lately, and it is tasteless.

Don't like what ST has to say? Then ignore it. A man is entitled to his opinions about saws and chains and cutting technique, and he's entitled to voice them if he wishes. There's nothing wrong with that.

But to go insulting people over the internet, as you did above, that's pretty pathetic. If I were you I would refrain from doing that again in the future. It isn't very becoming.

This thread by TK got me wanting to try .404

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/189188.htm

Many will say it does not make since and at this point I can’t disagree. But I’ve noted MCW (Matt) is a fan of .404 due to its good wear characteristics and he cuts lots of wood and knows his chains. May be a good set-up for the dirty wood I’ve been cutting. Less time filing, more time cutting.

First, I sourced some .058 gauge .404 semi-chisel Carlton chain. Then just added a .404 Oregon style tip to an 18” .058 bar using a .404-7 rim. I like to run short bars and the short length may help off-set the heavier chain.

i think you will be happy with it i went out today and tested 4 chains and 7&8 pin sprockets and it was close go the 404 :cheers:

I just compared the length of the cutters on a Oregon 3/8 semi chiz to an Oregon .404 semi chiz and the numbers are this:

73DP072
.372" length

27X065
.467" length

That's a 0.095" difference - A 25% longer tooth.

The 59L065 chain is a full chisel chain with a .490" length - nearly 32% longer cutter.

this thread is like a farmer telling a race car driver that he should use big ag tires because they work good in his field.

Last edited:
I know I've been away from the site for a while, so maybe I missed something along the way, but what is with this sudden resurgence of raggin' on ST? I've seen it in a handful of posts lately, and it is tasteless.

Don't like what ST has to say? Then ignore it. A man is entitled to his opinions about saws and chains and cutting technique, and he's entitled to voice them if he wishes. There's nothing wrong with that.

But to go insulting people over the internet, as you did above, that's pretty pathetic. If I were you I would refrain from doing that again in the future. It isn't very becoming.

With nothing but negativity, it gets old. You worry about your post and if you don't like something I say take your own advice.

Latest posts

Back