Short bars big saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not uncommon for fire companies to use very short bars with large displacement powerheads. Usually 14, 16 and no longer than 18" bar lengths with 70 cc or more. Chain is usually carbide or someother long life cutter but used for going thru shingles and plywood with the occasional nail thrown in there. I have never heard of any problems (other than the chain getting dull) regarding the user and saw accidents...not to say that there has never been any accidents but a LOT LESS than regular tree usage.

NJFORSTEFIRE, you said the key word carbide cutters that slows chain speed subtantialy, so shorter bar is recommended with carbide, and cutting through roofs and stuff for the firedepartment, I can see wanting a shorter bar because you dont want a long bar going through a roof and hitting something else I guess.

I like long bars on steep ground or in white pine where there is a lot of limbing.

I use the bar length appropriate for the task at hand. I dont like to walk around the stump when felling so I use the smallest bar that will cut through from one side 75% of the time. If i where on the west coast i could see running a 30"+ bar, but here in the upper midwest the timber isnt of the same scale. For most days a 24" or 28" bar works fine.

some one is selling a 2186 with a 50 in bar on ebay....the last foot and a half looks like it never even saw wood.

For myself, it just depends on my cutting style for the area I am in. You have to wear corks on the west coast and the easy thing to do is walk the log as you work it up. Even if your stuck in dwarf pecker poles in a muskeg, you will still want corks and a long bar because you'll be walking the log.
Here, its easier to walk alongside the tree as you work it up. I use a 20'' here for everything unless near a house or if I have several that are 30+ on the stump. Also here I need to limb all four sides of the log and you have to be on the ground for that. On the west coast you are supposed to limb three sides, but everybody knows that there are six sides to a log. :cool:

John

kf_tree said:
some one is selling a 2186 with a 50 in bar on ebay....the last foot and a half looks like it never even saw wood.

Well I am inexperianced, but this is what I observed:

From the description:
"Included in this auction 50" bar and new chain that has been used once on a 30" white pine but never charpened"

I would say that you are spot on.

I would never have guessed why someone would put an exceedingly short bar on an exceedingly large powerhead. After reading this thread i don't feel so alone and isolated. ;)

Lumberjack said:
Well I am inexperianced, but this is what I observed:

From the description:
"Included in this auction 50" bar and new chain that has been used once on a 30" white pine but never charpened"

I would say that you are spot on.

yea but that bar was used on more than one tree, to remove the paint by the dogs like that. that saw must have been dogged to @hit trying to spin a chain on that bar......i emailed him and he did not even know if the bar was 050 or 058.

kf_tree said:
......i emailed him and he did not even know if the bar was 050 or 058.

Is that your question that he posted down at the bottom of the listing?

"Q: what pitch is the bar? 050 or 058 thanks

A: the bar is a cannon super bar 0104 CSB H1-50-63 so i think it has a pitch of 50."

If so, you tripped him up on pitch vs gauge as well. Unless they're making a 50 pitch now. :laugh:

Jeff

Tree Machine said:
I would never have guessed why someone would put an exceedingly short bar on an exceedingly large powerhead. After reading this thread i don't feel so alone and isolated. ;)

Thats the biggest lizard I ever "saw" In the snow.
Get it "Saw in the snow". :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back