Shorted delivery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCR 3 EVER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
You would think I would learn but I really tried to pick a reputable company this time to deliver some firewood to our house this year. I talked to people had references,looked at videos it looked good. The owner understood my situation and my pickiness of log sizes and type of splits I needed. He told me to look at videos showing splitting operation etc. We agreed on price and set up a delivery date for 6 face cords or 2 cords as a test delivery since I did not want to pay hefty delivery charge 2x from the distant spot.
He said he could easily get the truck into our oversize garage with 10' walls and door opening so my wife could stack wood easier in the bins in the garage. I told him of my situation being in a wheelchair and unable to cut wood anymore or stack wood. He promised he would take care of us with wood delivery we needed this season and future seasons.
At time of delivery his truck would not fit in garage and the 2 cords of wood was dumped 40' from our bins and in front of garage. I strapped on my leg support so I could help my wife toss the smaller pieces of wood I could handle back into the garage so at least we could close the garage door. WE then had my brother come over to help stack the wood into the bins during the next week.
We ordered 6 face cords or 2 cords and our bins are 8 ft long so there should be 6 rows or at least 5 NOT THE 3+WE HAD STACKED UP since we stack about 5 ft high or about.
We measured the results and came up with 1.357 cords delivered instead of 2 cords and .643 cords SHORT.
I do not understand these businesses that toss wood into the back of a truck and tell you to your face that you will have 2 cords when they are lying, I showed the guy our bins we have, 2 bins 8 ft long with fixed sides so the wood that is delivered or stacked can be measured for correct dimensions/cord dimensions. He overcharged me $200. The splits look great the wood looks great nice and large pieces like we want it. But now we spent our money on hot air not dry wood. WE even stacked the logs quite loose since I did not know of moisture issues so stack dimensions would come up much shorter if stacked correctly in a tighter fashion.
The owner called and asked if I wanted more wood and I told him of developing situation since wood was not fully stacked but the writing was on the wall we got shorted again and he said he would check it out. We have not heard or got any call back since then despite our calls. Next year my wife will just have to get into the woods and cut our own firewood and I can help split since firewood companies just seem to want to blow smoke up your butt in promises. I would rather go through the pain and agony of repeated trips to property than pay some guy for hot air for a 3rd time. I would have gotten more heat by burning a wad of 200 dollar bills than paying that guy the money.
The wood stacks in picture are 3 rows deep and nearest front 2 rows are the 60 inch tall rows

Attachments

• FIREWOOD STACK.0043.jpg
    FIREWOOD STACK.0043.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 292
  • FIREWOOD CALCULATION.jpg
    FIREWOOD CALCULATION.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 244
Some of the firewood guys tend to deliver neighborhood cords, as in somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 cords.

Call him back and say you were definitely shorted. If they don't make it right, write them off and be sure to leave reviews where appropriate. One other thing, maybe he didn't understand when you mentioned you wanted "six face cord." Use terms like "Two Cord" or even 256 cubic feet of firewood when it is stacked.

But, having your wife get out and cut wood, that's not really a bad idea. Heck, I'm currently 62 (grandmother of 5) and I'm out felling trees, limbing, bucking, and splitting the rounds into firewood with an axe with no help.

This really grinds my gears. My apologies as I referred you to him. I thought he was better than that. He's been in the business for over 25yrs that I know of, since that is how many years ago it was that I ran skidder for him. I think I may just go pay him a visit. Guess l know not to ever give his name out again.

Tough luck man, I really feel for you. If you were anywhere close to me, I would gladly help you out. I've been selling wood for 18 years now and in all that time I only had one customer call and say I shorted them. My truck holds two cords and I had two deliveries near each other for one cord at each location. To try and save time and fuel I loaded them both up, dumped what I figured was half at the first place and the rest at the second. Turns out I dumped about 30 cubic feet too much at the first location therefore 30 cubic feet too little at the second. You can guess which guy called right after he got done stacking. I was in his driveway with 40 more cubic feet in less than an hour of his phone call. To me, a man is only as good as his word.

Here in my area of NY a call to the County Dept. of Weights and Measures works, especially if they are advertising. A fellow got in trouble selling by the cord when the loads came up short, he now sells by the truckload, or approximately 1 cord.

Here in my area of NY a call to the County Dept. of Weights and Measures works, especially if they are advertising. A fellow got in trouble selling by the cord when the loads came up short, he now sells by the truckload, or approximately 1 cord.
Actually, if it is a pickup truck load with an 8 foot bed, if the firewood is thrown on, it's less than a half cord. If it is stacked on, it's only a little over a cord. I doubt the counties Weight and Measures would approve.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been taken advantage of. It's people like this that give all of them a bad name. Perhaps with some encouragement from Speed he will make things right, I tend to have faith in the human race, we'll see. If he doesn't, plaster his name all over the net, it will come back around to haunt him. After all, a man is only as good as his word. Good luck,
dave

Call him back and say you were definitely shorted. If they don't make it right, write them off and be sure to leave reviews where appropriate. One other thing, maybe he didn't understand when you mentioned you wanted "six face cord." Use terms like "Two Cord" or even 256 cubic feet of firewood when it is stacked.

But, having your wife get out and cut wood, that's not really a bad idea. Heck, I'm currently 62 (grandmother of 5) and I'm out felling trees, limbing, bucking, and splitting the rounds into firewood with an axe with no help.
I paid him a high dollar amount of $100/face cord for a total of 6 face cords and we discussed over the phone at length how much I was getting. I told him of past problems with delivery of shorted stacks from a 3 ft wide pallet. The store thought stacks were supposed to be only 6 ft long I guess. The only reviews I can give are on you tube where the videos are. After stacking I called him again and told him the total amount of stacked wood was only 3+ stacks since we stack higher than 4 ft high. Measurements with a tape measure come up nearly 2/3 cord short.

So... I'm curious?? How long are the splits??
The firewood is 16 inches long but split large, diameter so logs pieces are 5-6 inches in diameter. These are perfect sizes for overnight logs. If a bit large no much problem to swing a small sledge and wedge to split off a small piece for my wife to do that is.

Actually, if it is a pickup truck load with an 8 foot bed, if the firewood is thrown on, it's less than a half cord. If it is stacked on, it's only a little over a cord. I doubt the counties Weight and Measures would approve.
It was some sort of high sided dump truck. He told me he could drive it into our garage with 10 foot walls and garage even has 10 high door, but it would not fit.

if the seller won't make it right shame on him. i agree with jwiiley,check with weights and measures and see if they cover such things.as a f/w seller it urks me to see this kind of thing happen.good luck. FS.

This really grinds my gears. My apologies as I referred you to him. I thought he was better than that. He's been in the business for over 25yrs that I know of, since that is how many years ago it was that I ran skidder for him. I think I may just go pay him a visit. Guess l know not to ever give his name out again.
Not your fault, he has not even called back after I told him I was shorted nor has he answered my email. I'll give him a few days and then post his company on site as somebody to avoid.

The heck with waiting I have been waiting since beginning of October for this idiot to call back with his response for the shorted firewood. We are are tired of getting beatin up on by companies. I don't want to have people coming after me so I will put it this way: Quality Firewood & Supply,Inc. of Kenockee, MI 48006 and Chris Marzec should be dealt with extremely carefully when dealing with a purchase of future firewood.There may have been a case where an alledged customer has complained about shorted delivery of firewood and nothing was done to rectify situation for many months if ever. If anybody so chooses to deal with this company check the amount of delivery prior to payment and make sure everything is agreed upon by all parties.

RCR, email him one more time letting him know you are going to contact MI weghts and measures. did some research and MI follows federal regs as far as how firewood is sold.ie cord or fraction thereof.no facecords.couldn't find anything as far as exact law but did about 1/2 hour of searching and found that. good luck.

Latest posts

Back