Shortleaf pine for firewood??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawnami

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've got a shortleaf pine that died a year ago standing in my back yard. Is this worth while to use as firewood? I wouldn't normally consider it but it is a 100 ft trip from the tree to the woodpile.:laugh:

sawnami said:
I've got a shortleaf pine that died a year ago standing in my back yard. Is this worth while to use as firewood? I wouldn't normally consider it but it is a 100 ft trip from the tree to the woodpile.:laugh:

Regular rule of thumb. If you have to get rid of some wood, use it. Of course there are some species that aren't good for firewood due to odor or other reasons. I don't know about longleaf but being a pine, shouldn't be a problem. Burn good clean fires to keep the creosote down and make sure the wood is dry first. A tree standing dead a year is not yet dry enough. Needs to be cut/split/stacked for a season first.

Harry K

Free wood is good wood :)

Pine isn't 'great' firewood, but it burns fine. Make sure it's dry and you burn a nice hot fire (if you are burning dry pine it will be hot). You may need to clean out your flue more often because of creosote buildup, but that depends on your fire / flue setup. It's good for getting a hot bright fire going quickly, but the light weight means it burns up quick. Mixing it in with your normal hardwood may be a good option too.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back