Should have stayed home yesterday...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
...but I wanted to get one more load of Oak for firewood. Instead of getting to the site early (before it got to hot), I get there around 9 am...already hot (and as I found out later...the hottest day of the summer thus far...in the upper 90F's/30c's). I start cutting the small stuff with the 260, then step up to the 044 and I notice there is spilled fuel on the tank. Wipe the fuel off and look for a leak...none to be found...hmmmm. Try to start it, coughed on choke, but no go. I again notice spilled fuel. I look a little deeper and come to find out that the fuel line is broke...:angry: . Thank goodness I have the 970 along. I file the chain on it, and it cuts well for a few cuts, than starts surging (in the cut it almost dies...I'll start a thread on that problem later). Down to the 260. I cut on some medium size Oak (almost burying the 16" bar), and the 260 is doing great...till it starts acting up and dies. I look and see the flip-top gas cap off and the fuel tank empty...:rolleyes:. I refill the 260, and get back to cutting. Now I double check to make sure those caps are on properly. There's more left to cut on, but too big for the 260 and I'll have a load with what I have now anyway.

This is the 4th load I've got from this site. The first load (June 26) was with my bro-in-laws 5'x8' single axle utility trailer (with P-rated tires...:rolleyes:, I'll be fixing that shortly). The next load (June 30) was with a friends 5'x14' single axle utility trailer (with trailer rated tires that are too big...with a slight load, they rub on the inside of the fender :rolleyes: ...temp. blocking between the axle and deck got me home). The last 2 loads (July 2 and 7) were with another friends 7'x18' car hauler with sides I built for it (the trailer I usually use for longer trips...but wasn't available for the first 2 trips). All this wood is from a friend of mine who is in the tree business and every now and then I'll ask him if he's removing any good hardwood and if I can get it for firewood. A big job came up fairly close to me (45 min. one way) and there was quite a bit of Oak available. The logs were easy to get too and he loaded the big pieces on the trailers with his Swinger loader...a good deal...but under some time restraints. So I took some time off to make the trips. Here's a pic of the results. I know it's not much compared to what some of y'all get, but I think it's not to bad for being by myself and in this too-hot-and-humid-to-be-out-cuttin-firewood weather. I know, I know...I should have cut my wood in March, April and May...but I was way to busy at that time.

attachment.php

Pic was taken from a tree stand in my yard…where I should be practicing shooting my bow from…:rolleyes: . One day I'll maybe have someone with me to take pics of me cutting.

So...I'll be trying to get up early of a morning to get some splitting done before work for a few days (with a hydraulic splitter).

Just thought I'd share.

Kevin

Edit: in the pic, not all of the wood is from the trips, there's a small pile that is from a top I cut up earlier, and the dark wood in the bottom corner is older wood from last year.

Last edited:
314epw

314epw

ArboristSite Operative
time to be spilting!

Got 2 loads of red oak today myself,just about a cord.90 degrees 90% humidity!I amm beat!

Zodiac45

Zodiac45

Paleostoveologist & Sawwhisperer
No worries Kevin,

Good thing you had multiple saws with you. I always have two minimum.
Based on the way things are looking with oil, I'll be keeping at it every sat morn that it doesn't rain right through the summer and fall. I've had this years wood split and seasoning since last fall and finished at the end of March. But now that I've decided on a second stove I'm bustin on next years 6-8 cord. Beats going too the gym. :cheers:

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
No worries Kevin,

Good thing you had multiple saws with you. I always have two minimum.
Based on the way things are looking with oil, I'll be keeping at it every sat morn that it doesn't rain right through the summer and fall. I've had this years wood split and seasoning since last fall and finished at the end of March. But now that I've decided on a second stove I'm bustin on next years 6-8 cord. Beats going too the gym. :cheers:

I guess I learned first hand the value of having multiple saws...or carry a bunch of spare parts. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a few spare parts with the multiple saws anyway.

I burn wood to supplement my electric furnace, to ease the electric bill. I have some well seasoned wood to get me started to go with what I just got. This year I'm cutting for my mom-in-law who is solely on wood heat period. Her son got married and moved about an hour away, so I'll try and look after her for wood. He'll help me split on weekends. I have access to more wood to cut, but storage (stacking) space would be a problem.

Kevin

wdanforth

wdanforth

ArboristSite Operative
Long Drive!

"A big job came up fairly close to me (45 min. one way) and there was quite a bit of Oak available."

The big car hauler trailer is necessary if you drive that far for wood. My wood comes from undeveloped wooded lots within 1/2 mile from my house. All standing dead hard wood.

Storage area is my problem also. The city zoning lady looks disturbed every time she drives by the house and sees the wood piles. Three cords in the front yard are screened by bushes on two sides and covered with nice dark green/brown tarps. Another three cords are out of sight in the back. Don't believe I am breaking any zoning regs.

stihl sawing
Nice haul on some good oak, Some pretty big rounds too. I always carry more than one saw, Have had the same thing happen before. It does make ya mad especially when it's hot and your wanting to get through. Yanking on a saw that wont start will wear you out in the heat. Looks like your ready for next winter.

Freakingstang

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
I'm not familiar with California, dry or humid heat? Either way, those tempatures are too hot!

Kevin

I just spent the better part of three months on the left coast. They might think it is humid there, but at 95 and with their dry humidity, it feels like 70-75 with 90% RH back home in ohio.

It was muggier the minute I stepped off the plane here in cleveland than the whole time I was in cali, including the one day it rained....

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
"A big job came up fairly close to me (45 min. one way) and there was quite a bit of Oak available."

The big car hauler trailer is necessary if you drive that far for wood. My wood comes from undeveloped wooded lots within 1/2 mile from my house. All standing dead hard wood.

Storage area is my problem also. The city zoning lady looks disturbed every time she drives by the house and sees the wood piles. Three cords in the front yard are screened by bushes on two sides and covered with nice dark green/brown tarps. Another three cords are out of sight in the back. Don't believe I am breaking any zoning regs.

The big trailer is nice, but I can't use it to it's potential because of my truck being a 1/2 ton...I need at least a 3/4 ton.

I'm out in the country, so I have space...but for organized storage (where I can stack and retrieve the wood properly) is a bit of trouble. I need space to pile the blocks when I bring them home, space to get the splitter in, space to pile the split wood, space to move the wood to the racks and space to park the trailer(s).

Kevin

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just spent the better part of three months on the left coast. They might think it is humid there, but at 95 and with their dry humidity, it feels like 70-75 with 90% RH back home in ohio.

It was muggier the minute I stepped off the plane here in cleveland than the whole time I was in cali, including the one day it rained....

Okay, thanks for that.

Kevin

wkpoor

wkpoor

Addicted to ArboristSite
Man thats a good lookin pile of wood. Must not be takin anything but the but logs as I don't see any odd sized/crooked/forked/jagged/stuff there. Just the preemo straight grained stuff. You ought to see my pile. Its the roughest looking snagle puss mess of forked up junk I could find. And thats the good stuff. Some of its not even splitable. Have to saw it down to size its so nasty.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice haul on some good oak, Some pretty big rounds too. I always carry more than one saw, Have had the same thing happen before. It does make ya mad especially when it's hot and your wanting to get through. Yanking on a saw that wont start will wear you out in the heat. Looks like your ready for next winter.

That's exactly how it was. With every pull on the 044, I was getting madder and madder, but I told myself to remain calm and have a good look. The ElastoStart handle is nice. Now trying to start the 970, when it wants to be ignorant, on a hot day is not cool!

I'm a poor judge of estimating how much unsplit wood will make a cord(s), so I don't know how much I have there. But it's a good start for me and my mom-in-law.

Kevin

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Man thats a good lookin pile of wood. Must not be takin anything but the but logs as I don't see any odd sized/crooked/forked/jagged/stuff there. Just the preemo straight grained stuff. You ought to see my pile. Its the roughest looking snagle puss mess of forked up junk I could find. And thats the good stuff. Some of its not even splitable. Have to saw it down to size its so nasty.

If there wasn't so much of the good stuff, I would have taken the rough stuff also. The rough stuff went into a big burn pile. There was some more nice stuff left after my last load, but I think it would have been a partial trailer load (the big trailer) and I don't think it was worth another trip. Besides, there was some other folks that would take what I left.

Kevin

ziggy2b

ziggy2b

ArboristSite Member
split- fire

My split-fire would pop that in three day's depending on:cheers: Or wich ever comes first?? That's a nice haul,I here ya about the heat!!! To bad you could'nt bottle it for the winter:agree2: Take care
later-------------------------------------------------ziggy2b

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
My split-fire would pop that in three day's depending on:cheers: Or wich ever comes first?? That's a nice haul,I here ya about the heat!!! To bad you could'nt bottle it for the winter:agree2: Take care
later-------------------------------------------------ziggy2b

The winters here are my favorite time of the year. I've said it before...it can never get to cold here. Now back home (Edmonton, AB in Canada), is a totally different story.

Kevin

danrclem

danrclem

Addicted to ArboristSite

Exactly what I was thinking. It's all stacked nice and neat. My woodpile is just that a pile. It'll look better though after it dries some more and I stack it in the barn.

I've got a 16' car hauler that I need to make some sides for. My 5' x 10' single axle just can't haul enough. It's not too bad for short trips but for the longer trips I need to haul more wood to keep the trips down.

You'll get all of your saws going again and maybe you've used up all of your bad luck for awhile.

Danny

Last edited:

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Exactly what I was thinking. It's all stacked nice and neat. My woodpile is just that a pile. It'll look better though after it dries some more and I stack it in the barn.

I've got a 16' car hauler that I need to make some sides for. My 5' x 10' single axle just can't haul enough. It's not too bad for short trips but for the longer trips I need to haul more wood to keep the trips down.

You'll get all of your saws going again and maybe you've used up all of your bad luck for awhile.

Danny

It's stacked that way to save on space. If I just tossed/rolled it off the trailer, it would take up to much space in my yard. Also I can get the splitter close to the stack and it's easy to get the top pieces on the splitter.

What size truck do you pull your trailers with?

I'll have to leave the saws till Saturday. I have a spare fuel line for the 044, and I think there's something wrong with the fuel tank venting on the 970. If I can't figure it out, I'll be posting for help.

Kevin

Latest posts