Should I buy a Stihl 038 Magnum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olyeller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I found a Stihl 038 Magnum offered for $279. I don't really need another saw, in fact I'm running out of storage area for my modest (by AS standards!) herd as listed in my sig. But I did a search and I've been reading up on this old saw and it seems like it's got a strong following. What do you guys think?

Or should I buy a 6.5 x 55 Tikka T3 that I also don't need? Maybe I should just get out and play with the toys I already have...

Olyueller

The 038 mag is a great saw. Built solid and has a lot of torque. I've owned 2 and had no problems with them.
The Tikka T3 is my favorite rifle in my arsenal. For the money, it's the most accurate out of the box rifle I've owned. I told my friends about them and 3 of my friends now own a Tikka too. All have been very accurate! Your choice of cartridge is one that I've always wanted to try but haven't as of yet.
The only logical choice is to buy them both! Both will serve you well!

If you want a good 70cc saw the 038mag will do fine. Mine weighs just a little less than my 7901. And it cuts just a bit slower than my 044 but not that much.
As for as the Tikka T3 goes i couldn't tell you but I know my Winchester model 70 in 6.5 by 55 would shoot 1/2 five shot groups if I did my part. My buddies Ruger in the same chambering will do the same. It's a very accurate low recoil cartridge.
This doesn't answer your question though. Sorry can't help you there as you win either way.

I say buy em both. Pretty soon we wont be able to buy the "good" saws or guns so get em while you can!!!

I really like my friends 038 magnum, I also like his 038 super, good power for a medium sized saw. I think if you re-load your ammo the 6.5x55 is a decent mid range cartridge for deer size game and the Tikka is a well built rifle, but the 6.5 would shy me away, I would rather have one in 260, 7mm 08, or even 25 06.

Rule of thumb

Number one rule you can never have enough
or to many guns or saws. I'm a bow hunter and still live by this. Plus I'm told that the 38 mags have the same size piston as a 44. Not sure if that's true or not. I know my grandfather prefered them as light falling saws and landing saws. I have a busy that has one sitting outside I have been trying to talk him out of. My vote is both.

Should have known better

Here I am, trying to fight off the latest bout of CAD; should have known better than to ask you guys. The 038 Mag sounds like a solid saw, but I already have an 044 and a 460 so that's two saws in that class. The saw is supposed to be in good running condition but I haven't seen it yet. Is $279 a so-so price or a good deal?

I had a Tikka T3 in .25-06 but I gave that to my son-in-law so I'm familiar with the rifle--very accurate, especially for a lightweight gun. I have a Remington Classic in 6.5 Swede that was made in 1994, excellent condition, shoots OK but not as well as the T3. And I have 3 Swedish Mausers in military trim. I read online that Beretta will stop importing the T3 in 6.5 x 55 so that caught my attention. And I reload for everything I own.

Here I am trying to make a good, rational decision and you guys throw gas on the fire! LOL Any other thoughts?

Olyeller

I can"t help with the saw, maybe not infect the cad yet. That tikka is one fine rifle, I have one in 308 very under rated. WE all know you can"t have to many rifles.

I had the Remington Classic as well and it would not shoot with the Ruger or Winchester in that cartridge even though they had the same barrel length and weighed the same. It had a fatter barrel but the stocked was less dense and thats how they got the weight.
:confused: Sorry off on tangent.

Stihl 038 is a decent saw. Solid, good power...but heavy compared to today's saws. $279 seems a bit rich to me as we have 2 for sale for $200. If you don't really need another saw, I don't see the point in dropping the money on one of those. There are saws I could see picking up whether I needed another saw or not, but the 038 doesn't have a spot on that list.

HTH.

Later, Matt.

Buy the Tikka, you can always find a 038 mag. I've got the T3 in 25-06 and 270 wsm, they shoot extremely well. I've got the 270 wsm in a Kimber mtn rifle as well and the T3 shoots just as good of groups, as it should being made by Sako.

Not peronally familiar with the Tikka; we can all google it, and nobody I know owns one. But it is a nice looking rifle.
B-I-L has an older Sako light sporter in 6.5x55, and it shoots remarkably well for the short, light barrel and long stock. A friend's dad in my youth took a sporterized Swede Mauser on an Elk hunt in the 1970's; it took a middle-sized bull with one shot. Sweden has a limited moose hunt, and many lucky lottery winners there do not own their own high-powered rifles...not sensible since they can get one domestic big-game animal in a lifetime...opting instead to hunt with rifles owned by the government game commision. You guessed it: Swede Mausers in 6.5x55!

038 is destined to become something like the 090, IMO. If it is in real nice shape, get it...$280 isn't a bad price for a good runner, and is a bargain if it looks real clean.

Thats a good price on an 038 if it's in good shape.

I love Tikka rifles. They are well built for the price. I like Kimber better though. :)

As for the 6.5 SM, you can't beat that round for deer hunting IMO. They have the perfect speed and bullet size to kill a deer and without alot of meat damage.

The 6.5 bullet itself is one of the most accurate bullets made. There very long and slender and most of them have a very high BC. They stabilize very well and carry thier speed well also. I have been wanting to rebarrel my 7mm WSM to a 6'5 wsm wildcat. I think you can have the dies custom made for it. All you would have to do is have the barrel cut for it. Talk about a long range machine!!! I figure a man could get a 120Gr bullet to fly around 3500fps!:msp_thumbup: Yea, I love guns..:msp_thumbsup:

I really like my friends 038 magnum, I also like his 038 super, good power for a medium sized saw. I think if you re-load your ammo the 6.5x55 is a decent mid range cartridge for deer size game and the Tikka is a well built rifle, but the 6.5 would shy me away, I would rather have one in 260, 7mm 08, or even 25 06.

6.5x55SM and 260 rem are virtually the same. Besides a slightly different case. 260 may have the slightest edge in speed but not enough to matter. Both are 6.5 bullets. 260 is a necked down 308 case. 7mm 08 is a killer deer round too! Another offspring of the 308, as is the 257 roberts and 243.

Get both, huh?

Thanks a lot, fellers. Seems like the majority opinion is to get both. I never saw that one coming!

I think I may go look at the 038 and see if it's in real good shape or just OK shape, then try and bargain him down. The gunshop is still checking to see if any 6.5 Tikkas are available. I don't really care if it's blue or stainless, but I want the synthetic stock for stability and lightness.

My shooting priorities are a bit weird; I'm looking for a dual-purpose gun, mainly for shooting ground squirrels that are half the size of a water bottle--small targets so lots of accuracy needed. But they're plentiful and destructive so we need to thin out the population. I have a Sako 6PPC and a Rem 788 .243 that are already doing that squirrel job well, but I'd like to go a bit bigger and heavier on the top end because we also have wild boar around that area. I'd much rather shoot a 300-pound pig with a 6.5 x 55 than a 6mm bullet if I had a choice. Our blacktail deer are about the size of a German shepherd on stilts, so I don't get all that worked up about deer hunting.

Or maybe I should just run the 038 and scare away all the game. That would be simpler, no?

Thanks for the input,

Olyeller

cant argue with a 6.5 bullet

i love a 6.5/06

the only action i use is rem 700 period but if i strayed it would be a tikka they are accurate

the important thing with any rifle good glass Zeiss

i don't know how big your hogs are, but around here, there are lots of them that a 6.5mm would be on the small side for hunting. the other thing that strikes me is that hogs are not hard to sneak up on. it is pretty easy to get within 40yds, making accuracy virtually moot. i think you need two guns: sell the .243 and find a .17 or something similar for the squirrels, and get a .270WSM or '06 for the hogs. personally, for hogs around here i prefer an '06 with 180gr to anchor 500lb hogs.

yes, for whitetail, .257/308 are perfectly adequate.

saws- you have this saw size covered....if you just want it, then go for it. if that saw is in nice shape, $275 is a reasonable price, not a steal. it is a heavier saw than the 044 and no more powerful. it won't ever be mentioned in the same light as an 090, nor will most other saws.

Back