Should I buy a Stihl 038 Magnum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6.5x55SM and 260 rem are virtually the same. Besides a slightly different case. 260 may have the slightest edge in speed but not enough to matter. Both are 6.5 bullets. 260 is a necked down 308 case. 7mm 08 is a killer deer round too! Another offspring of the 308, as is the 257 roberts and 243.

I was just saying that the 6.5x55 in factory trim is very anemic because of the older rifles that are still around where as the 260 is not limited, reloading throws this out the window. I personally would wait for something in .308 just in case the S### hits the fan it will be a easier round to come across since the military still uses this in their medium machine guns and sniper rifles. My personal go to hunting rifle is a 30-06 and I have enough ammo and components to last a few lifetimes. As for the 38 Mag, it is not a 044 but it is one of the nice Stihls where many were made and parts are plentiful and will be a good working collector saw some day. It is also a good series to collect with good variants like the Super and AV, and I think I've seen a Farm Boss.

No sweat; I don't really need any of the above

As I mentioned earlier, I have an 044 and a 460 plus my recently converted 064 big-bore project plus the big Dolmar (see my sig) so I don't really need the 038; previous threads just make it sound like a cool classic Stihl to own so that's why I started thinking about it. I'm still planning on checking it out; CAD never sleeps...

I just talked with the guys at the gun shop and someone at Beretta confirmed that the 6.5 x 55 T3 is discontinued, so maybe I got this dose of gun fever too late. But they're still checking to see if any are in the pipeline.

And thanks for the concern guys, but I'm not really strolling about in the field while under-armed. We don't have a lot of pigs on our place in central California but for the one I did shoot a while back I used a .375 H&H Ruger Number 1. He was over 300 pounds, and he still ran 80 yards with a perfect lung/heart/shoulder shot! I also have the .30-06 someone else recommended. And there's always the .454 Casull I can carry if only it would stop drooping my drawers. I've already got plenty of options, just trying to score a good gun in a caliber I like before it's too late. But I may indeed be too late already.

Thanks again for the input. Very interesting how CAD and gun fever infects so many of us on AS, isn't it?

Olyeller

Latest posts

Back