Should I contact Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me it has nothing to do with the brand at all. I'd tell geocom or anyone else the same thing if the same thing happened at a Husky dealer or any other brand's dealer. Stihl, Husky, Johnny Red, Dolmar they're all good saws. Get which ever you want, just make sure you get all the things that the saw leaves the manufacture with, especially the most important tool you're going to need to use your saw.......the scrench! ;)

yes i know. And I agree with you. I had the opportunity to run most of the major brands at the pnw gtg and honestly they all ran very good.

But none the less you know how these threads tend to go.

'see dealer support dont mean s***'

'just buy a XXX brand and you won't ever need dealer support any way'

When in the end all the saws are competitive with each other (major brands that is.) Brand loyalty seems to get in the way of honest discourse more often than not. To be fair about it someone is surely going to say get a ms361 it cures cancer and does it without a good dealer or a scrench or oil or anything. Oh yes my many friends, there is still ample time for brand loyalty to pollute this thread.
So I sit back eat my popcorn and watch

:popcorn:

I am cool with all the replies

Erick, thanks for the vote of confidence I am all good even with the replies that seem to be harsh towards what I am saying I asked the question and fully expected different answers.

People react differently to different situations and sometimes it can be a reality check for the guy posting the question it helps me out by keeping me in line
if I am too far to one side or the other the replies will let me know
and pull me back towards the middle so no worries

at any rate thanks again for all of the input from the group it is appreciated
even when it's harsh sounding

Now I need to start on that darn Husqvarna collection the fiance is gonna hate that.. guess I won't tell her

yes i know. And I agree with you. I had the opportunity to run most of the major brands at the pnw gtg and honestly they all ran very good.

But none the less you know how these threads tend to go.

'see dealer support dont mean s***'

'just buy a XXX brand and you won't ever need dealer support any way'

When in the end all the saws are competitive with each other (major brands that is.) Brand loyalty seems to get in the way of honest discourse more often than not. To be fair about it someone is surely going to say get a ms361 it cures cancer and does it without a good dealer or a scrench or oil or anything. Oh yes my many friends, there is still ample time for brand loyalty to pollute this thread.
So I sit back eat my popcorn and watch

:popcorn:
Point well taken! :popcorn: :cheers:

Not Forgotten

Don't forget the Johnny Red's and Dolmar's! :)

Oh no those are not forgotten come to think of it there is dolmar dealer less than 2 miles from the house might have to go that route first LOL

this really is addictive crap isn't it I think now I could probably quit smoking before I would quit playing with saws

Oh no those are not forgotten come to think of it there is dolmar dealer less than 2 miles from the house might have to go that route first LOL

this really is addictive crap isn't it I think now I could probably quit smoking before I would quit playing with saws
First......QUIT SMOKING. Do that tomorrow morning when you wake up. It was the best and toughest thing I ever did. Then go to your Dolmar dealer and check them out. We don't have a good Dolmar dealer in my area. I wanted to check out a 5100 but couldn't do it!

Geo, some of the guys are being a bit hard on ya here IMO. If they went out and spent 800.00 on a new saw and the snot nosed kid at the store ran it wide F:censored:'n open for even one continuous minute they'd have gone through the roof, and then to get home and find out that they didn't even give them the F:censored:'n scrench......... I'da been piss:censored: ed

Yeah it's only a $5.00 tool, but it's a $5.00 tool you paid for and didn't get....... after paying full list price no less. :dizzy:

It's a principle thing, I'm with ya. :)

I'm with him too,,,,Ive done a bunch of new saw setups and with the EDT5 or 8 tach in hand the WOT burst takes about 5 seconds,,,, period and if it goes to spec RPM +-200 rpm we dont touch it,,,anything over 200 high or low Wot gets adjusted,,,, they should give him a scrench and a carb driver like you said it is a principle kind of thing!!!

I wouldnt have accepted the saw that was wrung out for 5 minutes,,,,:monkey:

didn't take that one

I'm with him too,,,,Ive done a bunch of new saw setups and with the EDT5 or 8 tach in hand the WOT burst takes about 5 seconds,,,, period and if it goes to spec RPM +-200 rpm we dont touch it,,,anything over 200 high or low Wot gets adjusted,,,, they should give him a scrench and a carb driver like you said it is a principle kind of thing!!!

I wouldnt have accepted the saw that was wrung out for 5 minutes,,,,:monkey:

I made them give me the only other 460 on the shelf or said I wasn't buying and asked them not to wring it our like they did the last one and again there was not a tach in sight...

Quitting smoking is easy in comparison! Today I climbed a tree with power and phone lines through it to limb and drop it for my neighbor. Sort of dicey in spots. Man it was a blast. I was really surprised when his wife MADE me take 40 bucks for about an hour of playing with my 192T and 026 rebuild #2.

I quit smoking 5 months and three days ago. Duct tape helps get through the first two days..........:greenchainsaw:

So.. honestly.... how long was it "rung out"? even 15 seconds is a long time.

The saw does need to be hot (that takes a couple of minutes of running) , and the chain well lubed. I might run a saw at 10k for a a full minute or so to get it hot, with bursts to wot and idle. I almost never use a tach when setting up customer saw, but I "hear" a lot of saws. And...resetting WOT to max allowed (with a tach) on a long bar will leave the saw too lean, and too rich on a short bar.

And.... why did you leave the store without your scrench? if you'd said "scrench or no sale", they have found one...

Last edited:
Wot

So.. honestly.... how long was it "rung out"? even 15 seconds is a long time.

The saw does need to be hot (that takes a couple of minutes of running) , and the chain well lubed. I might run a saw at 10k for a a full minute or so to get it hot, with bursts to wot and idle. I almost never use a tach when setting up customer saw, but I "hear" a lot of saws. And...resetting WOT to max allowed (with a tach) on a long bar will leave the saw too lean, and too rich on a short bar.

And.... why did you leave the store without your scrench? if you'd said "scrench or no sale", they have found one...

In all seriousness it was about a minute minute in a half of WOT and then idle for 10 seconds then right back to WOT like that for about 5 minutes if the kid had just opened it up a couple of times like they did with my MS250 when I bought it I wouldn't have even noticed but after 5 minutes very hard running I felt like I had to say something.

If you think I was wrong to say anything let me know like I said I am no expert and when I am wrong I am wrong but I felt justified at the time in saying something... I am guessing that you are a dealer and you are well respected by the other members here so if you think I should have kept my mouth shut I will in the future adhere to that advice

Last edited:
If it really was 1.5 minutes of wot.... (an extraordinary amount of time...) then you made the right decision. I'd go talk to whoever is in charge (follow the money...) of the dealership...

Are you sure he held it wide open, or was it at say 10k...? 10K is fine...

I'm not a dealer - I just work for one.

Last edited:
I made them give me the only other 460 on the shelf or said I wasn't buying and asked them not to wring it our like they did the last one and again there was not a tach in sight...

That's OK, the guy before you said the same thing...that 460 on the shelf you bought was the one they held to the pin for 5 minutes and he refused...:buttkick: Just goes to show, what you don't know, can't hurt you!

Sure sounded wide open

If it really was 1.5 minutes of wot.... (an extraordinary amount of time...) then you made the right decision. I'd go talk to whoever is in charge (follow the money...) of the dealership...

I'm not a dealer - I just work for one.

No I have no way of knowing for sure but it sounded to me like it was WOT
like I said though I am no expert so what sounds wrong to me might sound fine to you, I guess the other thought I had was when i was 18 I would've rung it out myself either from not knowing any better or just cause even in my mid thirties it is still fun to open them up...

How true is that

That's OK, the guy before you said the same thing...that 460 on the shelf you bought was the one they held to the pin for 5 minutes and he refused...:buttkick: Just goes to show, what you don't know, can't hurt you!

That really cracked me up so true so true to make matters worse I really don't no anything

:monkey:

Hey, you only bought a measly $800 saw.....How dare you demand your tools and the saw be tuned properly. "get a life" :monkey:

By the way....This saw is worth more than $800 and you should be thankful we sold it to you.....WE ARE STIHL and we dominate the WORLD, peon. :dizzy:

Some of these comments remind me of my local Stihl dealer:censored:

Well, Geo thought it was pegged, so it must have been extended steady state. I thought you weren't supposed to do that (hold 3/4 throttle out of wood) because for all you know, the carb might be too lean at that throttle setting?

When I bought my 038 new(quite a few years ago) it came with a handy little tool to clean out the bar grooves and measure groove depth. When did they stop doing that?

Back