Should I contact Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
also if you pay good $$$$ for something shouldn't you get everything that came in the box when the dealer got it.. .......

Surely, and the box as well, if you wanted it........

Every new saw comes with a carby driver and a scrench,,,,,,

...and a L-shaped T27, at least here.....

Last edited:
Just FWIW and nothing more...Where I used to work the saws would be treated like that. Every Monday they would be taken out, started up, run at full throttle for one to three minutes, and then get shut down and put away. 52 weeks a year and 20+ years. Occasionally they actually got used. No failures.

How the end user treats the equipment is one thing. How the dealership treats it is another. I'm not bad-mouthing the dealership cause I haven't heard their side of this story, but it SOUNDS like they don't know that there is a difference.

Actually haven't heard of that before........:confused:

That's cos you don't read all the threads! :biggrinbounce2: I've posted on this matter before.

Yes.. starting in the mid 90's Stihl started adding partial power jets and/or modified main valve jets to saws affected by the mid-range "lean out".

You can easily see if any one saw is affected. Very gradually increase the throttle (and I mean very gradually...). The rpm will increase and then at some point suddenly take of and scream. Further increase of the throttle drops the rpm suddenly back to "normal". The older 034/36 will exhibit this effect readily.

attachment.php

Irrespective of what the tech note says.. use compressed air with caution... It's very easy to damage the check valve and it's not replaceable.

Last edited:
The good ole scrench deal, so funny as I will explain. Yes you should have gotton a scrench, a small screwdriver, a manual and a orange plastic pouch to hold them. I always make dayumm sure the customers gets each item as he should, he paid for them, they come with the saw. You should have gotton a "we're glad to do business with you" as well on a saw that costly. I always pour on the appreciation on all purchases but on ones like a 460, they get even more.

The five minutes running your saw wide open, not hardly. It may have seemed liked five minutes to you, five seconds with my own saw seems too long. I doult any saw could stand up to five minutes held wide open without burning up or blowing up. Time five minutes and you will see its alot longer than you realize. It is common practice to check the RPM levels before leaving the building but it doesn't take five minutes of full throttle to do it. More like 5 seconds.

Now to the scrench deal. I get at least 25-30 customers a year that come back and tell me I did not give them their scrench when they bought their saw. They never come back the next day or week to tell me, its usually two weeks to a month later. I wised up to them losing their scrench and have enforced a new policy. I now simply tell them if you want to admit you lost your scrench I'll give you one, if you want to lie and say I didn't give it to you then to hell with ya, buy one. After enforcing the "no lie to me" policy seems people no longer have a problem telling me they lost their scrench. Amazing huh,LOL

You shouldn't contact Stihl over a scrench, they got better things to do. You should go right back ASAP and tell them you want your orange pouch, your screwdriver and scrench. Don't wait two weeks cause if you do they may have a policy like mine. Wouldn't that be a bummer, get back to that dealer and get your things ASAP! Tellem too Thall is a mights pissed at em for shady service, that will wake em up. If they ask who I am just tellem I'm the guy that cancels dealer contracts for bad service, they won't know any differant,LOLOLOL

Last edited:
The good ole scrench deal, so funny as I will explain. Yes you should have gotton a scrench, a small screwdriver, a manual and a orange plastic pouch to hold them. I always make dayumm sure the customers gets each item as he should, he paid for them, they come with the saw. You should have gotton a "we're glad to do business with you" as well on a saw that costly. I always pour on the appreciation on all purchases but on ones like a 460, they get even more.

The five minutes running your saw wide open, not hardly. It may have seemed liked five minutes to you, five seconds with my own saw seems too long. I doult any saw could stand up to five minutes held wide open without burning up or blowing up. Time five minutes and you will see its alot longer than you realize. It is common practice to check the RPM levels before leaving the building but it doesn't take five minutes of full throttle to do it. More like 5 seconds.

Now to the scrench deal. I get at least 25-30 customers a year that come back and tell me I did not give them their scrench when they bought their saw. They never come back the next day or week to tell me, its usually two weeks to a month later. I wised up to them losing their scrench and have enforced a new policy. I now simply tell them if you want to admit you lost your scrench I'll give you one, if you want to lie and say I didn't give it to you then to hell with ya, buy one. After enforcing the "no lie to me" policy seems people no longer have a problem telling me they lost their scrench. Amazing huh,LOL

You shouldn't contact Stihl over a scrench, they got better things to do. You should go right back ASAP and tell them you want your orange pouch, your screwdriver and scrench. Don't wait two weeks cause if you do they may have a policy like mine. Wouldn't that be a bummer, get back to that dealer and get your things ASAP! Tellem too Thall is a mights pissed at em for shady service, that will wake em up. If they ask who I am just tellem I'm the guy that cancels dealer contracts for bad service, they won't know any differant,LOLOLOL

:hmm3grin2orange: :clap: That's why your the Champ Tommy!

THALL,
If what geocom is saying is true, why even bother going back to that dealer. According to him, he called them and they told him to contact customer service and gave him a 800 number to call. I wouldn't waist a minute more of my time with that dealer. That being said, I have 9-10 Stihl dealers, 6-7 Husky dealers, three Johnny Red dealers all within a half hour of me. Believe me when I tell you ALL THREE BRANDS have good/great dealers and bad/horrible dealers in my area. The bad dealers won't see a penny of my money, I don't care what brand it is. Not every dealer is like you, Lakeside53, spike60 and cuttinscott and I'm sure I missed a few.
wanted to add that I called the dealer like said it's a multi stop shop they said to contact customer service and gave me an their 800 number...

THALL,
If what geocom is saying is true, why even bother going back to that dealer. According to him, he called them and they told him to contact customer service and gave him a 800 number to call. I wouldn't waist a minute more of my time with that dealer. That being said, I have 9-10 Stihl dealers, 6-7 Husky dealers, three Johnny Red dealers all within a half hour of me. Believe me when I tell you ALL THREE BRANDS have good/great dealers and bad/horrible dealers in my area. The bad dealers won't see a penny of my money, I don't care what brand it is. Not every dealer is like you, Lakeside53, spike60 and cuttinscott and I'm sure I missed a few.

NYH1 its pretty simple. They owe him a scench, a screwdriver and a pouch. True he doesn't have to go back there but I'll be dayumm if I would let them screw me out of what I paid for. They did him wrong and he sounds man enuff to me to go back and get his belongings and be done with that dealer if he chooses to do so. I wouldn't care what they told me to do, I'd stand on my own two feet and walk back in there and given some ole I'm here to get my belongings hell or high water. If the dealer is any count at all he will give him his stuff to avoid a arguement. If he doesn't then your probably right, the dealer is a azz.

That's cos you don't read all the threads! :biggrinbounce2: I've posted on this matter before.

Yes.. starting in the mid 90's Stihl started adding partial power jets and/or modified main valve jets to saws affected by the mid-range "lean out".

Thank you!

:cheers:

NYH1 its pretty simple. They owe him a scench, a screwdriver and a pouch. True he doesn't have to go back there but I'll be dayumm if I would let them screw me out of what I paid for. They did him wrong and he sounds man enuff to me to go back and get his belongings and be done with that dealer if he chooses to do so. I wouldn't care what they told me to do, I'd stand on my own two feet and walk back in there and given some ole I'm here to get my belongings hell or high water. If the dealer is any count at all he will give him his stuff to avoid a arguement. If he doesn't then your probably right, the dealer is a azz.
I hear ya. I just hate :censored: service, $8 tool kit or not, I hate it.

Now you've got me going...
I bought my MS390 a couple of weeks ago and all I got was the scrench.

I thought I was being punished for not buying the MS361.
Which I'm told comes with a hand delivered gold plated tool kit and breakfast in bed served by Nichole Bonnema

I'll bet Andy has a pile of screnches, manuals and bar scabbards, and a whole
bunch of them cheap little orange screwdrivers............

He just hasn't come out of the "closet" yet...........................

I am new to this board, but I just wanted to say that I bought a MS361 a couple weeks ago and my dealer pulled all that stuff out of the box right on the counter in front of me, handed me the extras, then put it together and ran it out back... They also gave me an extra NIB 33RSC chain. I didn't bother asking about spark plugs though... I think I still have the original in my Stihl 018C... I probably should pick up a few for both saws though.

Your dealer is being dishonest. I have always found that the best way to deal with business like that is to talk to the owner and tell them flat out that you do not like dealing with dishonest people and that you will be sure to let your friends/family/neighbors all know that this is the way they run their business... Always had a much easier/better outcome this way and things usually go much smoother than getting mad at them.

Good luck, and find a new dealer if they don't want to make it right.

Surely, and the box as well, if you wanted it........
...and a L-shaped T27, at least here.....

With my 660 I got it all...powerhead, manuals, tools, documentation, bar scabbard, and with the seal unbroken....sshhhhhh.....nobody should know....I was the first one to run the saw since Germany, and it was wearing the magnum muffler and carb tune. :clap:

Geocom, give this dealer a chance to supply you everything that you are owed...if he does not then call Stihl Customer Service, then find a dealer that will respect you.

I'll bet Andy has a pile of screnches, manuals and bar scabbards, and a whole
bunch of them cheap little orange screwdrivers............

He just hasn't come out of the "closet" yet...........................

uh oh... my ebay retirement scheme is in jeopardy...:greenchainsaw:

yep.. for some strange reason I do seem to have buckets of the screwdrivers... :monkey:

Back