should I have two climbng ropes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Local ex tree guy told me I really should have two "lifeline grade "climbing ropes, for one because I'll likely need two at once at some point and two for safety reasons. Does this sound about right?

Could I use my 1/2" bull rope in a pinch or is that a major, major no no? Thanks.

On the very rare occasion when I've had to tie in twice for balance or something like that, I just use the tail end of my rope. If you want a second climbing line wait until you get a little extra money and retire your present climbing line early and save it as a back up, instead of turning into a rigging line. Otherwise I wouldn't be too concerned with having two lines just for myself.

If your asking,then Id say no,you don't need two lol.
When you get into some sweet wide spread specimens for pruning,you can't beat having two lines.The reason soon becomes clear as you can't help but notice and learn what is required.
If your mainly doing removals or something,then I don't think you should bother.
You will know when you need two climbing lines often enough to order another hank.Till this becomes very obvious to you,then no.You don't need another.

I have three.
Two over 100'
One under 50'

You can't beat ordering a "discount" hank (what's left over from a reel) to have a devoted short hank for small trees! and its cheap!
To top it off,it's a cost effective way to experiment with different ropes to boot! (minus testing stretch of course.)
It's worth it.Fast and easy,with no need to undo a large rope just for a little apple or something.Really saves some time.Nice for that occasional little redirect rather than using your tail sometimes as well,because you don't want to be bothered with another long rope.
Don't forget your figure 8 stopper at the end before ascending/redirecting, especially when using a short hank!

TreeCo,

Your replies to my constructive posts are worthless. You *still* call me a troll...do you know that I have met up with, and worked with a forum member on several occasions now? I have proven that I am the rel deal. A real climber? Not hardly, that is years away. But I'm far from some child bored out of my mind spamming a forum.

I do not understand your obsession with me. Give it up. If you find it so retarded that I am trying to get into the tree business, then why the hell are YOU in it?

Another thing: Arborist 101, for new guys like me. Hang out in the commercial forum if you do not want to read this stuff.

I don't understand why your behavior has gone un-ckecked. Nobody wants to read your garbage.

LOL!

I suggest 3.

Two for you and one for your random question generator.:)

/

TreeCo,

Your replies to my constructive posts are worthless. You *still* call me a troll...do you know that I have met up with, and worked with a forum member on several occasions now? I have proven that I am the rel deal. A real climber? Not hardly, that is years away. But I'm far from some child bored out of my mind spamming a forum.

I do not understand your obsession with me. Give it up. If you find it so retarded that I am trying to get into the tree business, then why the hell are YOU in it?

Another thing: Arborist 101, for new guys like me. Hang out in the commercial forum if you do not want to read this stuff.

I don't understand why your behavior has gone un-ckecked. Nobody wants to read your garbage.

:hmm3grin2orange: Not so. A lot of us like to read his garbage.

Lighten up, kid. If you want the rest of us to take you seriously quit taking yourself so seriously.

Learn to take a joke Plas.

We have.:cheers:

/

Oh my the beat goes on. I tell ya man you got some of the best. I totaly mean that.

I met up with some climbers who just used 2 ropes for the climb and they only did prune work like that. No lanyard, maybe they had one but they where accustomed to finding purchase for making the cuts with the two top ropes.
It seemed to me like it was some sort of techinque they were taught and they where pretty good at it. I won't safe it was safest but it seemed quick and they were handsaw kinda guys anyway I guess.
But one should always have a primary and sometime you might even use the lowering line for a little with a suicide knot it in.

Yes on any spreading tree I like a second rope; pulling up the tail on occasion takes more time gives less length and worse yet for me has no snap. And lately i catch myself thinking...what if i drop this thing?

re "climbing grade" not sure waht that means; 5k seems like overkill to me but i would not publicly say i use smaller...whoops i almost did! :censored:

"random question generator" was a slam; thanks for not flaming back. TreeCo used to get a lot nastier on occasion but has mellowed with age, or something...:monkey:

I rarely use a second line. Occassionally when cabling a big tree or pruning one. Don't waste your money. Like others said and older climbing line makes a good 2nd line if needed..... Mike

:hmm3grin2orange: Not so. A lot of us like to read his garbage.

Lighten up, kid. If you want the rest of us to take you seriously quit taking yourself so seriously.

Aren't you one of the others who was giving me all sorts of hell when I first joined here? Kid? 32 years old with ten years mechanical engineering experience...that's still considered a kid? I guess to some it is. What's a man? 33? 40? 55? You tell me.

Yes I take climbing seriously because if I do it wrong, I die. I could care less if you or TreeCo takes me seriously. I'm just trying to take tree work seriously.

Aren't you one of the others who was giving me all sorts of hell when I first joined here? Kid? 32 years old with ten years mechanical engineering experience...that's still considered a kid? I guess to some it is. What's a man? 33? 40? 55? You tell me.

Yes I take climbing seriously because if I do it wrong, I die. I could care less if you or TreeCKo takes me seriously. I'm just trying to take tree work may beseriously.
maybe you can stick with the engineering tom trees:popcorn:

i have 5 lines.

a short one like 50 ish ft.

1 100ish foot long

1 150ish foot long

and 2 200ft long.

use the 150fter on a big tree and bring the short one up with you for when you have make a dynamic move of some sort. another rope in the tree on a big prune is a good thing. spikes will get you to ever cut, this is true. sometimes you gotta think though it out when pruning. a 2nd line set as another TIP is great for working positioning. its up to you to set it up so that it isnt a pain to work with.

you cant have too many ropes as a climber.

I am the pot calling the kettle black? Where/how/when did I do this?

About removals, I guess you are calling me a hack because so far all I have done are removals. One, that isn't even true. Two, I am not a certified arborist do I don't see how I could in good conscience prune someone's 200 year old oak or whatever. Plus removals and clean-up are the work I seem to be running into, I guess I should turn it all down because some guy on the internet from I don't even know where calls me names if I do it?

If you want to rib me here and there in a post every so often I don't care. It's when you obsess over me in every post...that just seems ridiculous and it's doing nothing more than spamming the site.

I don't care how old you are either or what you have allegedly accomplished in your life. If you were that great, as an overall person, you'd be sharing your knowledge with the "kids" and be eager to help and answer questions.

Whatever. Troll away.

Random question generator isn't much of a slam compared to slamming a whole industry Mr. Seer.

I deify you to name one major player in the tree care industry that doesn't derive a major part of it's income from tree removal.

Bartlet?

Davey?

Care of Trees?

I'm just saying you are the pot calling the kettle black. Doesn't mean I don't still love ya though.:cheers:

Cool man, thanks for the answer. Appreciate it.

i have 5 lines.

a short one like 50 ish ft.

1 100ish foot long

1 150ish foot long

and 2 200ft long.

use the 150fter on a big tree and bring the short one up with you for when you have make a dynamic move of some sort. another rope in the tree on a big prune is a good thing. spikes will get you to ever cut, this is true. sometimes you gotta think though it out when pruning. a 2nd line set as another TIP is great for working positioning. its up to you to set it up so that it isnt a pain to work with.

you cant have too many ropes as a climber.

Plas my post was in response to TreeSeer's post. Nothing to do with you at all. Look again and you will see I quoted his posts.

You need to chill just a tad.

/

Ah. Next time you are in PA, if ever, you should show me a thing or two. And no, I'm not in an way being sarcastic.

If I get a second rope, I was thinking about getting Sherill to put eyes on the ends. Save some rope not needing a big 'ol bulky figure 8.

Mister Ben you never answered my last PM, sent last week sometime!

Oh my the beat goes on. I tell ya man you got some of the best. I totaly mean that.

I met up with some climbers who just used 2 ropes for the climb and they only did prune work like that. No lanyard, maybe they had one but they where accustomed to finding purchase for making the cuts with the two top ropes.
It seemed to me like it was some sort of techinque they were taught and they where pretty good at it. I won't safe it was safest but it seemed quick and they were handsaw kinda guys anyway I guess.
But one should always have a primary and sometime you might even use the lowering line for a little with a suicide knot it in.

Yes I take climbing seriously because if I do it wrong, I die. I could care less if you or TreeCo takes me seriously. I'm just trying to take tree work seriously.

Age doesn't make the man....attitude does. Right now I'm working with a twenty two year old who has one of the best attitudes I've ever seen. He doesn't complain, he doesn't whine,he doesn't shirk a task, and he knows when to ask questions and when to just learn from watching. He'll be one of the good ones some day.

Then again, there are some thirty two year olds who leech off the collected wisdom of others and then claim it as their own. They act like spoiled little brats when their juvenile behavior is critisized, however well intentioned, by people who really know what they're doing. They don't seem to realize that good advice can come in many forms and whine when their tender little feelings get bruised. Maybe a career in Library Science or pet grooming might be more in order. Tree people, loggers, arborists, whomever, are direct people because they live in a world full of consequences for their every action. A 32 year old with nothing more to recommend him than a few years of "mechanical engineering" would do well to remember that.

Back