should I have two climbng ropes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another piece of white trash trying to come across as educated and endowed in wisdom. Always amuses me, it does.

Age doesn't make the man....attitude does. Right now I'm working with a twenty two year old who has one of the best attitudes I've ever seen. He doesn't complain, he doesn't whine,he doesn't shirk a task, and he knows when to ask questions and when to just learn from watching. He'll be one of the good ones some day.

Then again, there are some thirty two year olds who leech off the collected wisdom of others and then claim it as their own. They act like spoiled little brats when their juvenile behavior is critisized, however well intentioned, by people who really know what they're doing. They don't seem to realize that good advice can come in many forms and whine when their tender little feelings get bruised. Maybe a career in Library Science or pet grooming might be more in order. Tree people, loggers, arborists, whomever, are direct people because they live in a world full of consequences for their every action. A 32 year old with nothing more to recommend him than a few years of "mechanical engineering" would do well to remember that.

On spurless jobs (i.e. pruning) I always climb with one line, but the line I use has eyes spliced in on both ends. Both eyes are attached to my harness. That way you can always do a double tie in. On such jobs I leave the steel core lanyard on the ground, saves weight and with the double loops you don't really need it any way. Carry a few spare slings with you to redirect the climbing line if needed and you can limb walk whereever you want to go.

Still, having a second climbing line (a whole climbing set actually) is good practice, but I leave the second on the ground. Make sure your groundie knows how to climb and do aerial rescue so he can come and get you if you're injured. I have always worked with the same groundie and we practice rescueing a couple of times a year. It's fun and reassuring to know there's someone that can take you down if needed.

Cheers,

On spurless jobs (i.e. pruning) I always climb with one line, but the line I use has eyes spliced in on both ends. Both eyes are attached to my harness. That way you can always do a double tie in. ,
Giel, I've done this (without the eyes, same thing), but stopped because the middle of the rope kept getting caught around branches, or falling branches would get caught on it, etc. It was not a workable system for most trees. What reason is there for NOT using a second line?

Plasmech, focus on the work and stop overreacting.

"I deify you to name one major player in the tree care industry that doesn't derive a major part of it's income from tree removal."

Speaking of focus--- dan i said "focus on" removal as in oversell.

But thanks for deifying me, bruddamon. :yourock:

Still, having a second climbing line (a whole climbing set actually) is good practice, but I leave the second on the ground. Make sure your groundie knows how to climb and do aerial rescue so he can come and get you if you're injured. I have always worked with the same groundie and we practice rescueing a couple of times a year. It's fun and reassuring to know there's someone that can take you down if needed.

Cheers,

Part of our Code of Practise is this same rule. One rescue kit, ready to roll at all times when there is a climber in the tree. Oh and someone down there who knows how to use it!

As to using 2 or more climbing lines in a tree, it seems to be personal choice around here. I often use an adjustable false crotch for Washingtonia palms and some hardwoods with dense canopies. This means one climbing line for the SRT side and one for the DRT side.

In the past I have used one short life line for nasty jobs and one long one for the more rare(for me) large tree climbs. To me buying a second shorter line was a better choice than messing up my 60metre #1 line.

Plas, in case I missed it one the way through this thread, DO NOT CLIMB ON YOUR HAULING/RIGGING/TAG/BULL ROPE. If it breaks with a limb on it thats bad, if it breaks with you on it thats terminal. Oh and one more thing, harden up mate. This is a tough game. You need a thicker hide.

Stay safe mate. :cheers:

Giel, I've done this (without the eyes, same thing), but stopped because the middle of the rope kept getting caught around branches, or falling branches would get caught on it, etc. It was not a workable system for most trees. What reason is there for NOT using a second line?

Ha treeseer, I hear you, of course if you reach a height (or low, but with 2 TIPs) were the complete rope is airborne, unsafe situations can occur like falling branches catching on your rope. Around here, maximum treeheight is around 120ft and that's on the other side of the country then where I'am from. High trees around here are perhaps 90ft or so. A climbing line of 150ft used with a double eye works fine.

2 reasons for not using 2 ropes for me are:
1. with 2 ropes you have more rope on the ground --> more crap that can get stuck in more ropes (ok, it's a lame one, but you asked for my reasons);
2. Around here the ropes are (still) not given away for free, why buy a third rope (the groundcrew has one too), when I get around with one just fine?

Good luck plasmech, hope you found, or will find, the info you're looking for

Cheers,

Y'know...I probably missed most of whatever cause the animosity against this guy...but it seems to me that one who continues to ask questions of folks who have experience in a field that can kill you every day, and then trolls constantly, isn't too smart...

So my tongue in cheek advice for anyone like that is, use as many lines as you are comfortable using, but be sure to set your lanyard with a slipknot.

if you ask advice from someone and irritate them you might get more than you bargained for...

oh..Disclamer...I don't know @#$% about tree work or climbing, I am an uncertified hack with very thick skin and a "Back" button.

Y'know...I probably missed most of whatever cause the animosity against this guy...but it seems to me that one who continues to ask questions of folks who have experience in a field that can kill you every day, and then trolls constantly, isn't too smart...

So my tongue in cheek advice for anyone like that is, use as many lines as you are comfortable using, but be sure to set your lanyard with a slipknot.

if you ask advice from someone and irritate them you might get more than you bargained for...

oh..Disclamer...I don't know @#$% about tree work or climbing, I am an uncertified hack with very thick skin and a "Back" button.

I might be reading you wrong, but how is asking questions about tree work on an arborist forum "trolling"?

Trolling is posting controversial topics knowing that the the post will likely blow up into a flame war. Two ropes...that's trolling?

If you read the first page, he didn't even get an answer for the first several replies. It was just a bashing fest from the get go. I haven't read all his post from other threads so maybe there is more to it, but damn this site gets nasty quick.

How would you know if I do or do not know how to use one?

What purpose do you serve on this forum?

I may not serve much but at least other beginners can read the answers to my questions.

Typical old man feeling insecure about the young guy getting off his feet crap.

Two ropes when you don't know how to use one?

That's why I mentioned you having a 'random question generator'.

What's next?

Should an arborist have two:

Throw bags?
Wedges?
Hand saws?
Lanyards?
Sets of spikes?
Bull ropes?
Saddles?
Mauls?
Trucks?

You got lots of good information so put it to use and go climb a tree!

/

Back