should I paint theses guys white?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smokechase II .....I actually tried a test paint on a leg, it didn't look good.
Skwerl.....I'm not set up to accept credit cards, but my kid has a paypal account............... I've been carving for 15 yrs or so, I retired from logging, and started carving full time 12 ys ago. Most of my carvings I finish with a cutting torch or paint them, these I sanded down after working them over with a log wizzard. I imagine I'll ask somewhere in the $500 range for them. Heres a link to my site with lots more pics.....
http://www.angelfire.com/art2/masterofthechainsaw/main

the stain is called pickling it would still show the grain but give it a nice color. You should try one, I have done some maple cabinets in a kitchen this way and they looked great

The site looks great! (BTW it's performance, not preformance)
wave.gif

My favorite finish for raw wood is Watco Danish Oil. It tends to make the glow nicely.

If you plan on having them outside be sure to use an exterior varnish, I'm sure someone with your talent already thought of that though.

VERY nice work!

Hey all I've been hanging around here reading, what all ya have to say about chainsaws, for a year or so, and I've learned alot, I always thought I knew it all about saws........I grew up with them in a loggers house, and cleaning and sharpening saws were my chores as a kid. Anyway I wasn't trying to sell carvings, I was looking for imput.....these polar bears I just carved are the end result of a year and a half of learning to use a log wizzard, the coolest tool in the shed. I have it mounted on a jonyred 2052, the planer head is mounted as close to the saw as I can get it. This thing moves wood like crazy, and it feels that way too! when screaming wide out..... with new blades, its like a giant dremel..... Its taken me quite awhile figuring out how to use it, and aquire the muscle to hang on to it. :sword:

I agree with Tom. I've used Watco to finish red oak and its durable with a very warm sheen. Poly may be longer lasting but doesn't give the same feeling.

Dan

lesorubcheek said:
I agree with Tom. I've used Watco to finish red oak and its durable with a very warm sheen. Poly may be longer lasting but doesn't give the same feeling.

Dan

I use floor gloss polly, its the cheapest sealer I can find, I go threw lotsa gallons of the stuff. Whats Watco I don't think I've seen it any where. Does it coat with a gloss or act like a oil preservitive?

Looks like you're working no a nice library collection there too. Pretty awesome. I don't know much about finishes, but I would think, as others have said, some kind of oil to darken the wood but still show the grain. I've never liked painted wood. I like to see a shiny, polished looking service clear enough to still see the wood grain.

Heres a pic of some other bears that were burned instead of sanding, only tools I used on them was chainsaws, log wiz, and a cutting torch and a bath then polly. I think I'll be doing a bit more sanding instead of burning, and use some finishing oil, on the next set of bears.

I would leave those natural. Maybe use some sort of light stain, but the way they look is really cool. You can see the grain, and it looks close to a natural color for polar bears.

if you have a controlled area meaning temp controlled try what is called SPAR varnish extremely durable, it is what is on a lot of wooden boats that have to deal with the elements and it gives that warm feel to the wood. i have a end table out of heart pine with spar on it. It does have the yellower in it that gives it the warm look unlike a lot of the new poly's that are clear based. If they are being exposed to the outdoors and the sun the floor poly's you are using are insufficent do to the lack of UV blockers in them, prime example a client of mine had a custom 10,000 front door made and had a painter coat it with min-wax and in 2 years the door was toast it all had to be sanded down and spar varnish applied. If you would like i can get you the names of the products i use.
good luck
also great work on the bears

I'd like to see some pictures of the cutting process for those. This has got to be the most interesting use for a chainsaw.

Chainsaw Master:
Where can a fella get a log wizard?
And by the way, I thought so.
Next time, start off with some half finished work so you're a little more realistic.

Gypo Logger said:
What bears? I like the bookshelves. Got any John Steinbeck?
John
I read of Mice and Men a long time ago, haven't read any Stienbeck lately, been reading stuff by Micheal Grear, and Allan Eckert..... mountain men and indian wars. The book shelves I logged the logs, had the lumber milled, and built them meself.

smokechase II said:
Chainsaw Master:
Where can a fella get a log wizard?
And by the way, I thought so.
Next time, start off with some half finished work so you're a little more realistic.
If ya do get one, mount it close to the saw head on a mid sized saw, it balances out better. Also when ya first use it with new blades, its pretty wicked.....so just peel up some dirty wood and dull it down a bit, untill ya get used to it. It takes Makita 3 1/4" planer blades, I get them at Ace HWD, $22 or so a set.

Latest posts

Back