Should I sell this rope or use it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt J Leppek

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
image.jpg Hey all,

Before I did research on rope types, I bought a 200ft hank of blue water eliminator rope. It's 10.2mm and dynamic, which is a rock climbing rope. I haven't used it since I bought it.

Am I better off trying to sell it, or keeping it to climb on/make prusiks and rope bridges?

I got the rope, 2 carabiners, and a black diamond harness for $100. I should be able to sell the rope alone for that (it hasn't been used).

I would never buy a used rope for climbing (or even a rope from a private sell who "never used it" unless it was in a factory sealed container). If you can get $100, good for you - use that towards a real tree climbing rope. That would be also be a real good rope for moderate duty rigging.

I would never buy a used rope for climbing (or even a rope from a private sell who "never used it" unless it was in a factory sealed container). If you can get $100, good for you - use that towards a real tree climbing rope. That would be also be a real good rope for moderate duty rigging.

Before I read up more on rope safety, I figured I would be ok as long as I inspected the rope when I got it. I did not think about chemicals/shock load that I could not see. I may cut 50 ft off it for rope bridges and use the 150ft for rigging.

Do you think it would be ok for a speed line? Or is 3/8 to thin for that?

Before I read up more on rope safety, I figured I would be ok as long as I inspected the rope when I got it. I did not think about chemicals/shock load that I could not see. I may cut 50 ft off it for rope bridges and use the 150ft for rigging.

Do you think it would be ok for a speed line? Or is 3/8 to thin for that?

We don't use dynamic ropes in tree care as a rule but it would work well for light rigging with a pulley, but I wouldn't use it for natural crotch rigging.

It's too small and stretchy for a speed line.

Latest posts

Back