Should I try my hand at blacksmithing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jredsjeep

Jredsjeep

ArboristSite Operative
just like to throw my hat out there, i would love to take a class if one became availible. this is something that has fascinated me for a while and i had a buddy when i was stationed in TX that used to do it. i am sure he would show me but lives on the other side of our great country right now.

Foxfire

Foxfire

ArboristSite Operative
Some really nice work there Bushbow and I think a Damascus scrench would be awesome. A huge waist of time but still cool as all get out. Where would we be if we let practicality guide our every step?

I did talk to him briefly about how there was some potential interest from a few people here about taking a class or 2 and he said he has done some one on one teaching in the past. I'll dig a little deeper the next time I talk to him...

Last edited:
Jredsjeep

Jredsjeep

ArboristSite Operative
that was not me Foxfire, i only dream about that at this point :-], some great stuff bushbow!!!!

my closest forging experiance is hammering over sheetmetal in a vise since i dont have a break.:D i am pretty good with my hands though a love playing with my mig welder!

is it just me or do i see faces in the top knife? very impressive

Foxfire

Foxfire

ArboristSite Operative
that was not me Foxfire, i only dream about that at this point :-], some great stuff bushbow!!!!

my closest forging experiance is hammering over sheetmetal in a vise since i dont have a break.:D i am pretty good with my hands though a love playing with my mig welder!

is it just me or do i see faces in the top knife? very impressive

Thanks for pointing that out. I went back and fixed it. A while back my buddy sent me a pic of an ax that he had made so I sent him a pic of a little ash scoop that I had just made. Nothing fancy just some sheet metal that I cut and bent with a little loop for a handle. I bent most all of it over a piece of I beam. Anyway he wrote back asking if I used a break which made me quite proud.

Bushbow

Bushbow

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
The faces are actually links of chainsaw chain but I get that comment s lot when I make the chain blades. Here is one that gets used a lot in my kitchen.
DSCF9259.jpg

DSCF9265.jpg

And a sushi knife I made for my sister
Sushifinished006.jpg

philoshop

philoshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
Love the saw chain stuff!! Excellent!!
Recycling & re-purposing materials is a lot of fun. I'm a woodworker and use a lot of lumber salvaged from old furniture. The price is right. My shop has a wood floor which is great for woodworking, but not so good for welding or 'smithing. A new shop with a concrete floor is on the wish list and I'd love to give 'smithing a try. There are a lot of Amish and Menonites in my area and I wonder if they'd trade some labor for lettin' me look over their shoulder some time?

Latest posts