Show Me Your DIY Wood Conveyor !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ductape

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For the past year or so I've been wanting a wood conveyor, but no way I can afford 7 grand or more for a factory made conveyor. No doubt there are plenty of folks who've turned a hay elevator into a wood conveyor, or made one from scratch. I'd like to see what you have. Heck...... I'd like to see your factory made one too...... maybe it'll give me some ideas. :popcorn:

This one I made from an old bale loader. When finished it turned out 16' and loads my trailer pretty good. It's not the best, but I ain't got much in it either.

Chomper038.jpg

Chomper017.jpg

I thought I had some better pic's, but I'll have to try to find them.

Andy

Haven't made one yet, but I've got an old 40' hay/grain elevator out back that will donate most of the materials, and hydraulic drive with a belt instead of chains. I've seen the chains used before, but it always seems to become trouble when small pieces of wood get stuck in it.

I've got a lot of projects in line in front of this one, so it might be a year or 2, but when I rework my splitter, it will get plumbed to run a conveyor.

Just thinking out loud.......I wonder if you could take a chain drive hay elevator and switch it over to a belt........might work with some minor mods

Was going to use and old hay/grain elevator but they seem to have suddenly become valuable around here with all the horse farmer wannabes moving in. So I am building one right now to go along with the processor I just finished. Like the processor it is a low buck deal. The conveyor is largely made from used concrete form steel and junk scafolding that I purchased for scrap price. I will try to remeber the camera and get some pics of it. Mine is going to use belt instead of chain because belting was what I could find cheap, had it been chain for cheap I would have gone that route. My drive is going to be Chonda, (Harbor Freight Honda clone). They are on sale this month for $99 6.5 HP. I am thinking about going back and buying 2-3 more and putting them away. My old conveyor was a 12' single chain corn elevator and as somebody else said a chain outfit does suffer from the occasional wood splinter getting into places it should not be.

Just thinking out loud.......I wonder if you could take a chain drive hay elevator and switch it over to a belt........might work with some minor mods

Exactly what I am planning. Just need to replace the drive sprockets with a set of rollers made from pipe with a shaft welded in the center, and hunt down some belting the right width.

Exactly what I am planning. Just need to replace the drive sprockets with a set of rollers made from pipe with a shaft welded in the center, and hunt down some belting the right width.

Go find a farmer with a round bailer and see if he has old bailer belts laying around. I know my other employer has a stack of them and also the zipping tool to make new metal zippy thingy ends. I would think a couple of those side by side i think would work good. If you dont have the zippy tool you could try using flat rivets but i dont know how those would hold up over time

Go find a farmer with a round bailer and see if he has old bailer belts laying around. I know my other employer has a stack of them and also the zipping tool to make new metal zippy thingy ends. I would think a couple of those side by side i think would work good. If you dont have the zippy tool you could try using flat rivets but i dont know how those would hold up over time

LOL, that's what runs the buzz saw on the front of my M! I thought of baler belting, but I'm thinking a single wider piece would give less trouble. I've got plenty of time yet to scrounge. If I get lucky, I know where there is some that came off of pea and bean combines, but I think they're too wide. I've made belts before with the alligator lacing, and we have the tools for it at work.

Better put some sheet metal where the belt will run on it.

Andy

Mine is a hay/grain combo elevator, the sheet metal is already there. Just need to unbolt a couple sections, shorten it up and make a belt drive system. 2 sections = 20 feet, should be plenty long enough.

attachment.php

I'm thinking of a hyd lift as well, I remember all too well running the hand crank on that thing!

Got tired of fighting slippery wood on my belt conveyor in the winter and found this at a mill I have dealt with. Almost done rebuilding it.
New chain, welded on new paddles, and sprockets. Had to slow it down so I found a 30 RPM output gear drive.
Got some 6x6 supports today and it's goin' in the processor building this week. My newer old conveyor is for sale if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
I converted an old farm conveyor into a firewood conveyor. Bought the conveyor for $150 and bought an engine from Northern Tool & Equipment. Works pretty good but does jam up sometime when a piece gets wedged and comes back underneath.

LMAO!! Mine is startin to whine when we gotta move a big pile of wood, time to trade up for two twenty's! :hmm3grin2orange:

Can't seem to find any of the good pictures. Come see it in person if you want.
Basically consists of a sheet metal frame, hay conveyor chain, honda 3.5hp with gear reducer, two stages of belt drive gear reduction, screw jack and an axle. In the early days it was chain drive with a cluch and it sucked!!! The chain rusted, siezed, broke, fell off etc. The belts slip when something binds, never seem to wear out even when wicked dry rotted.

This one's attached to the processor I built this summer and is dumping into the dump trailer I built last year.
The conveyor is 1 1/2 sheets of 1/16" x 4' x 8' steel bent to shape. You can see where it folds together at 8 feet making it a pretty compact unit.
It is run by a Charlynn hydraulic motor which like most everything else on the processor is powered by a 9HP Honda engine which will soon be replaced by a 15HP I recently bought.

dsc00462sq.jpg

This one's attached to the processor I built this summer and is dumping into the dump trailer I built last year.
The conveyor is 1 1/2 sheets of 1/16" x 4' x 8' steel bent to shape. You can see where it folds together at 8 feet making it a pretty compact unit.
It is run by a Charlynn hydraulic motor which like most everything else on the processor is powered by a 9HP Honda engine which will soon be replaced by a 15HP I recently bought.

dsc00462sq.jpg

Very nice looking conveyor, I'm looking at building something like that this winter. Where did you get the design for it? If you were to build it again what would you change? Do you have any other photo of it you would like to share?

dsc00462sq.jpg

Cooool!!! How do you get the conveyor to stack all of the wood so neatly:laugh:?

Back