Show me your homeade woodstove blower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxygen

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a homemade blower on my Lopi Leyden woodstove. It was made out of a fan and some ductwork I bought from HD. I think I have less than $40 in it but I dont remember. It doesnt work very well, and its kinda loud but it is cheap and does do something. I want to see all your best homegrown solutions and how you sourced the materials. I have dreams of coming across the perfect squirel cage blower in a junkpile next to a thermostatic control but it hasnt happened yet. I know there are some smart and thrifty guys out there so show me your stuff. :)

I took a combustion fan from a rooftop unit and fabbed some sheetmetal to the back of the stove. Worked great MORE air flow and quiet, 220 so pretty cheap to run.

Super-quiet, ready-to-wear "ecofan" powered by stove heat (Seebeck effect). Slows as stove cools, turns off on its own.

Really moves the heated air around when stove is in normal operating temp range. On special, it was around $110.

I have a top load so the eco fan won't work for me.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I buy used electric furnaces off my local Heating company. They are removal from propane or natural gas conversions. Last one was $100 and looked like new, most are usually $50. The next week my son's electric furnace fan motor took a crap and he was able to mount the used fan motor in his unit in less than an hour. The rest will go to scrap and I'll get another one for my own air/ water exchanger project. I try to keep a few around for projects. Last one I used to replace my Hotblast twin fan setup, it works great.

Super-quiet, ready-to-wear "ecofan" powered by stove heat (Seebeck effect). Slows as stove cools, turns off on its own.

Really moves the heated air around when stove is in normal operating temp range. On special, it was around $110.
I had one of those from Menards about 6 yrs. ago and was pretty proud of the thing & concept till it quit working (too much heat) and later found out that the air was moving naturally almost as fast as with the "Ecofan" so I'd rate it as an "interesting novelty" at best?? I'd buy a "real electric powered fan" if I were serious about moving air, just my honest opinion after having one and $100.00 is too expensive for a noveltyo_O

took the exhaust blower from a high efficiency furnace,new cord, mounted it to a piece of aluminum angle and c-clamped it to the back of my stove. its a little loud but it moves ALOT of air rather quickly

Jeff

I have a buddy that has a squirrel cage fan mounted behind his barrel stove. The fan works extremely well and is very quite. It doesnt blow really hard, just a constant gentle breeze. I have several squirrel cage furnace fans, all are loud and blow tons of air, I keep searching hopeing to find one like my buddies. Wish he knew what the fan originally came from.

I have seen these work but I don't have one but the guy that doe's has had it for years with no problems.
built with high speed bearings through out and he said it has a lifetime warranty.
just never forked the jack out for one.
he said they really shine in a power outage .

Attachments

• Scan0002.pdf
    320.7 KB · Views: 15
I have a buddy that has a squirrel cage fan mounted behind his barrel stove. The fan works extremely well and is very quite. It doesnt blow really hard, just a constant gentle breeze. I have several squirrel cage furnace fans, all are loud and blow tons of air, I keep searching hopeing to find one like my buddies. Wish he knew what the fan originally came from.

pretty simple fix. just change the pulleys on the motor and fan shafts. small one on the motor and large on the fan

Go to a junk yard and get a blower motor and housing out of a old car or truck. The fans are pretty quiet, just need to get a 12vdc adapter.

I have a cooling fan out of a Cnc mill. It's wired into a switch on the wall. It's only temporary until I install a blower motor tied into the cold air return.

I have a cooling fan out of a Cnc mill. It's wired into a switch on the wall. It's only temporary until I install a blower motor tied into the cold air return.
Forgot to attach the pic
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back