Show off your crummys!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you're gonna ride in that one you prolly need to have your extra clean, puffy, quilted flannel on with only the top button hooked. Also matching bandanna with the knot in front, Aunt Jemima style

The Chevys are lower and that picture proves it. I wouldn't need a step stool to grab stuff out of the back or for checking the oil. See, there are good points.:msp_unsure:

plus if it's reeely snowy you could just tunnel throught the snow like a gopher :msp_biggrin:

scan0017.jpg

scan0013.jpg

Fantastic Randy. Thanks for the Old IHC Iron pics. I dig the red Loadstar. I don't think I've ever seen a B-Series bus. You drive both of those? :msp_thumbup:

I can overlook the off-kilter pink double-wide....:D

Aaron, that old thing was a 1959 with the 392 4V 5 speed with the "row boat" 4th and 5th gears, had an Eaton two speed axle. I think old red was a '64 or '65 345 4V with the standard 5 speed split shift Eaton. Yeah, I revved out both of them. I got my CDL in Sept 1974 driving the beater green. The DMV driving test was easy, CDF's was not. In 1978 I saw my old bus in the discard yard at Davis, I almost put in a bid, but I knew just how worn it was. In late '76 early '77 most of the long busses were placed with the smaller Transtars. I always believed we lost continuity with the crews having the Foreman up front.

What is level in that picture?

I would hate to take that bus out in the morning dodging log trucks. I bet a row boat was way more stable than that thing.

You could cruise that thing long as you timed the loads & caught trucks going back empty so they could dodge you as you came around the corner in a 4 wheel drift.

Yup. All about timing.

I don't have a picture but I came out of the tipi 1x yrs ago to see my "crummy" had impaled herself on the latch of the trailer.
She had a hole in her right pectoral about 2" deep.

So, off we went to the vet. Not only did I burn a day I now had to walk 3 miles to work.

This dang horse had so much energy I would ride her straight up a hill until we had to spin on her hinds & head back down.

She was only 13.2HH. Never shod her & rarely trimmed her.

Aaron, that old thing was a 1959 with the 392 4V 5 speed with the "row boat" 4th and 5th gears, had an Eaton two speed axle. I think old red was a '64 or '65 345 4V with the standard 5 speed split shift Eaton. Yeah, I revved out both of them. I got my CDL in Sept 1974 driving the beater green. The DMV driving test was easy, CDF's was not. In 1978 I saw my old bus in the discard yard at Davis, I almost put in a bid, but I knew just how worn it was. In late '76 early '77 most of the long busses were placed with the smaller Transtars. I always believed we lost continuity with the crews having the Foreman up front.

Good info Randy. The red rig's probably a 1600 or 1700 Loadstar. That 1959 would probably be a B160 (or B170). My 1971 4WD 1210 Travelette (3/4 ton 4-Door pickup) has the 4V 392 and the IHC/Fuller 5-speed. Mine's the OD version though (IHC T34). Those rigs probably had either the close-ratio or wide-ratio direct-5th transmissions. IHC used unsynchronized and synchronized versions of that transmission series from the early '50s thru the late '70s.

Mine is syncronized (except for first and reverse). First puts the stick about 1" from the dash, and reverse puts the stick against the seat. The OD 5-speed has a goofy pattern. All the way left is 1st/low forward and reverse back. The middle gate is second FORWARD and third back. The right gate is fourth BACK and fith/OD forward. Takes a bit of getting used to. The direct-5th versions have the same pattern, except fourth is far right and FORWARD, and fith is far right and back.

Last edited:
LOL!!!
3rd high to 4th low to 5th low to 4th high to 5th high.
It was tricky when the shifter was like a long stick, buried in a bucket of ice cubes.
Those 300 pound clutch springs were a joy. I did love the Eatons, made GM's vac axles suck, not the mention the Dodge cable axle shift. The neatest thing was the '49 Reo, between the hi/lo stick, 5 speed, there was a dash mounted vac axle shift, there must have been 30 shift combos.

LOL!!!
3rd high to 4th low to 5th low to 4th high to 5th high.
It was tricky when the shifter was like a long stick, buried in a bucket of ice cubes.
Those 300 pound clutch springs were a joy. I did love the Eatons, made GM's vac axles suck, not the mention the Dodge cable axle shift. The neatest thing was the '49 Reo, between the hi/lo stick, 5 speed, there was a dash mounted vac axle shift, there must have been 30 shift combos.

My old rancher buddy with all the old Homelites has a 1954 Diamond-T 10-wheel dump truck. It's powered by an IHC LV549 V8 (what a monster). Has a five speed crashbox and a 3-speed Brownie sub-box (Low-Direct-OD). Also has vac switches on the dash (which actually work....despite the ancient flax covered hoses and other signs of age/neglect) which lock the drive axles. Fantastic old truck. All stainless steel brightwork (no chrome). Redlines at something like 2900 RPM. He uses it to haul countless loads of dirt and rock around the ranch. Also has one of those Frantz "Tripple Stacker" external bypass oil filters that uses three rolls of single-ply TP as a filter medium! Actually sez "Frantz Tripple Stacker" on the side. The 'single' and 'double' roll versions of that filter are still being made/sold. You can find them on the net. The recomended paper is Scott 500 count single-ply BTW...:D

My old rancher buddy with all the old Homelites has a 1954 Diamond-T 10-wheel dump truck. It's powered by an IHC LV549 V8 (what a monster). Has a five speed crashbox and a 3-speed Brownie sub-box (Low-Direct-OD). Also has vac switches on the dash (which actually work....despite the ancient flax covered hoses and other signs of age/neglect) which lock the drive axles. Fantastic old truck. All stainless steel brightwork (no chrome). Redlines at something like 2900 RPM. He uses it to haul countless loads of dirt and rock around the ranch. Also has one of those Frantz "Tripple Stacker" external bypass oil filters that uses three rolls of single-ply TP as a filter medium! Actually sez "Frantz Tripple Stacker" on the side. The 'single' and 'double' roll versions of that filter are still being made/sold. You can find them on the net. The recomended paper is Scott 500 count single-ply BTW...:D

I have a 48 ford f-6 with the same filter setup.

I had a '59 GMC pickup that had the tp oil filter, it was only a double.

The dept hit an all time low last week, I'll call you on Saturday or Sunday, I don't think anything internet is safe.
Google the "Triplicate" and you will get a minor hint.

I have a 48 ford f-6 with the same filter setup.

Cool. Those big old Fords are fantastic. There's one of 'em sitting in a vacant lot about 20 minutes from me (in Petaluma). Flatbed. Some scumbag punks have broken the glass out. Looks pretty complete otherwise (from a distance anyways). Parked next to a big old Studebaker flatbed of similar vintage (and condition).

I had a '59 GMC pickup that had the tp oil filter, it was only a double.

The dept hit an all time low last week, I'll call you on Saturday or Sunday, I don't think anything internet is safe.
Google the "Triplicate" and you will get a minor hint.

Call me anytime either time Randy. If my cell phone doesn't get service, try my home line. I'll do the google thing when I get a chance (after work.....yay Friday!). Let me know if I can help in any way.......

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well I had posted pics of this truck when I first got it on page 7. This is it now as of today. I lifted it built a stake side with saw rack by the cab. Gave a custom paint job haha, krylon touch at its finest. but I pulled the motor friday to replace the rear main seal and noticed how bad the bearings were so building a new engine for her. I have a set of 1970 351cleveland 4v heads with a 400m block bored .060 over, should give me one mean 416ci beast that flows alot of air with 2.19" intake valves haha.
Ill start a post in the rides section as it goes back together.

Back