Show us your wood lot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For those of you fortunate to have access to a woodlot it would be nice to see some pics of your cutting grounds.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Never tried to what I am about to do.. so lets see what happens..

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=901+Martin+Rd,+Rineyville,+Hardin,+Kentucky+40162&amp;ll=37.752029,-86.039171&amp;spn=0.006617,0.010933&amp;t=h&amp;z=17&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=901+Martin+Rd,+Rineyville,+Hardin,+Kentucky+40162&amp;ll=37.752029,-86.039171&amp;spn=0.006617,0.010933&amp;t=h&amp;z=17&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

close enough..lol, Those is my trees right there. You can almost see our house up there, about a third of the way in.

Here's a couple of pics of where our wood comes from. We have 131 acres, about half field and half mixed bush. We mainly cut maple and birch with some elm, oak or beech thrown in.

Sounds like a good excuse to fab up a camera mount for the wheeler and take y'all on a video tour of the back 40.

Little note to self to look up at work tomorrow: .685 OD front rack tubing, 1/4-20 camera mount stud.

Be back tomorrow night, have a cold one ready and come on a little ride.

attachment.php

This is where I have been cutting. Not my land, but we provide the landowner with firewood (he burns maybe a facecord a year). We just cut the dead and downed trees. It really makes a noticble difference after the dead stuff is cleaned up, looks nice. Almost all the trees are Oak, Elm, Hickory, or Cherry.
I'm super thankful to have such a generous farmer in my area. :greenchainsaw:

Laird! That is crazy big. Must be nice to get in there! :clap:

When you are lucky enough to get in the "big woods" it is so peaceful. Getting away from roads and any sign of man makes me feel like if I squint a little it would be just like a hundred years ago. (just with way better equipment for wood processing!):)

Cool pictures - I'll post what's "left" of my woods. Stupid tornadoes....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hit in October 07', still working on cleaning up the aftermath. 40 acres of mainly the same. The good news is that most trees were half up rooted and therefore still in the ground getting water and leafing out so they can be used for something other than just rotting.

Here are a few more:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The front part of the woods was mostly ash and maple, which luckily didn't withstand the damage the rest did. It definitely gives me something to do, but cutting in a blowdown like this is not too much fun.

Lol! Yeah, I put that on there for size illustration purposes. I can definitely use 1 (or 11) AFTER a day cutting back there!

Promised a vid, but having trouble resizing it to get it to youtube. (If ya can help, I've got a post in off topic on it)

For now, here's some pics. First shot is from the other day, looking into the sunset in the west end of the woods:

attachment.php

Next is a shot from last winter, looking across the field at the bigger part of the woods:

attachment.php

Same day, looking down one of the skid trails:

attachment.php

Random shot from last fall, think it's near the northwest corner, most of the elms I have in the woods are there:

attachment.php

OK, here's a ride through part of the woods. I took 5 videos today, and thought handheld would look better than the vibration I got with my homemade mount, but it still came out pretty jumpy.

This is probably the best one, since most of it is on the main trail, but if you get carsick, this probably isn't the video for you. Check the tangled mess of a white oak at about 1:50, broken off two ways, and hung on both sides, the right side is almost locked together. It will get yanked down later this summer or fall with the tractor.

Enjoy!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LvrE8zBiYPw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LvrE8zBiYPw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Latest posts

Back