Showdown at the Snellerized Corral - 7 Saw Shootout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bet my neighbors loved me this evening! I've been wanting to compare a bunch of saws and tonight was the night. Saturday is supposed to be in the mid 90s so I decided to get 'r done tonight while it was in the low 80s/upper 70s.

I was very curious to see how the 665/7910 hybrid would compare to my 372 and 2171, and to the 390 for that matter. I've also wanting to see how the 372 and 2171 compared. These were all running the same B&C

All of these saws are newer builds with little run time on them, with the exception of the 390. I've been running it for several years now. All are ported except for the 5105. It is only muffler modded.

First of all, you'll notice that I hit a pretty big knot in the wood on several of the cuts with the 372 and 2171, so take the cut time comparisons for what they're worth.

The chain was freshly filed and the rakers set using the soft wood setting on my progressive Oregon gauge. It's a hungry chain and self feeds very nicely. I'm not sure why, but I had trouble with my cuts when running the 372.

The 372 and 2171 are virtually identical. The 665 hybrid was 12% faster than the 372 and 2171. There's a little more in the 665 as I left it a little more on the rich side than the others. I'm still getting to know this saw. The 390 as another 13% faster, even with it being last to use the chain and the wood getting a little larger. All of these saws are phenomenal runners. I'm quite please with how they all compare, size differences taken into consideration.

What really surprised me was that the little 340 with the 346XP topend just barely edged out my 346XP. I wasn't expecting that. I do have some kind of tank vent or carb issue going on with the 346 though. Never the less, this little 340 walks the dog! Both were running the same B&C.

Cut times from the 5105 can't really be compared to the two Huskies. The Huskies are running .325 and the Dolmar is running 3/8. That give a pretty significant chain speed advantage to the 5105. I hope to port this 5105 on Saturday, so will use these cut times to compare it to.

372XP - Triple Port muffler

2171 - Single port muffler, ceramic bearings, Wiseco piston

665/7910 Hybrid - MicroBlue ceramic bearings, Falicon trued and welded crank

390XP

I bet my neighbors loved me this evening! I've been wanting to compare a bunch of saws and tonight was the night. Saturday is supposed to be in the mid 90s so I decided to get 'r done tonight while it was in the low 80s/upper 70s.

I was very curious to see how the 665/7910 hybrid would compare to my 372 and 2171, and to the 390 for that matter. I've also wanting to see how the 372 and 2171 compared. These were all running the same B&C

All of these saws are newer builds with little run time on them, with the exception of the 390. I've been running it for several years now. All are ported except for the 5105. It is only muffler modded.

First of all, you'll notice that I hit a pretty big knot in the wood on several of the cuts with the 372 and 2171, so take the cut time comparisons for what they're worth.

The chain was freshly filed and the rakers set using the soft wood setting on my progressive Oregon gauge. It's a hungry chain and self feeds very nicely. I'm not sure why, but I had trouble with my cuts when running the 372.

The 372 and 2171 are virtually identical. The 665 hybrid was 12% faster than the 372 and 2171. There's a little more in the 665 as I left it a little more on the rich side than the others. I'm still getting to know this saw. The 390 as another 13% faster, even with it being last to use the chain and the wood getting a little larger. All of these saws are phenomenal runners. I'm quite please with how they all compare, size differences taken into consideration.

What really surprised me was that the little 340 with the 346XP topend just barely edged out my 346XP. I wasn't expecting that. I do have some kind of tank vent or carb issue going on with the 346 though. Never the less, this little 340 walks the dog! Both were running the same B&C.

Cut times from the 5105 can't really be compared to the two Huskies. The Huskies are running .325 and the Dolmar is running 3/8. That give a pretty significant chain speed advantage to the 5105. I hope to port this 5105 on Saturday, so will use these cut times to compare it to.

372XP - Triple Port muffler

2171 - Single port muffler, ceramic bearings, Wiseco piston

665/7910 Hybrid - MicroBlue ceramic bearings, Falicon trued and welded crank

390XP

That's quite a sawdust pile you got going there.
Great videos, nice running saws too!

In all seriousness your neighbours must really not like you....... Its never the same when someone else is making the noise.
When you start telling your neighbors how to live in order to improve your own living it stops being free America and turns into Eugene Oregon.
They literally tried to ban fireworks city wide last year and were only unsuccessful due to improper timing of the request.

Interesting that a modded 346 and a only muff modded 5105 are equal in power.

Interesting that a modded 346 and a only muff modded 5105 are equal in power.

That's not the case by any means. As mentioned in the OP, the 5105 is running 3/8 whereas the 346 is running .325. That gives the 5105 a significant chain speed advantage. Also, the 3/8 chain is brand new and the .325 chain probably needs touched up.

Yup I am sure your neighbors love about as much as mine love me. Just be careful the old lady next door to me called the cops on me about a month ago and said she don't want to here any saws running at all
By the way awesome work and videos[emoji102]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the cops come by last weekend when trimming a tree at my parents property.

That's not the case by any means. As mentioned in the OP, the 5105 is running 3/8 whereas the 346 is running .325. That gives the 5105 a significant chain speed advantage. Also, the 3/8 chain is brand new and the .325 chain probably needs touched up.
Thanks for the correction!

Oh my lanta..such music to my ears. No wonder I have been absent from the site for a while. I'm feeling a itch coming on again...

Great saws Brad. I love the sound from the 2171.

Back