shtf/bugout saw set up and why.........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtracy1223

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Let's keep it interesting. If you had to have one saw after nuclear war/natural disaster/zombie apocalypse or any other shtf scenario what ONE saw would you want to be packin?

I keep couple a bug out bags full of cloths/food/water/meds/ect. I know that packing out on foot a saw is not really an opption. But if it were say you were bugging in or were leaving by car/truck and you had. Room to bring a saw what would it be?

I would go for a good power to weight ratio saw that is tough and easy to work on with good/easy access to parts. I guess that's the best plan in any scenario good or bad but hey I'm board and a lil drunk so I figgered I would start this topic and see if we get any bites.

I don't have one but I think. Husky 372xp would make a good one or a stihl 440/044 . With a couple 20 " bars and a half dozen or more chains and a file kit. as much bar oil and pre mix as you could keep on hand. Keep as many comsumable parts on hand as you can and maybe any extra p/c kit, gaskets, carb kit or 2...... and tools to do the work....... let's hear some ideas

Last edited:
Unlike Sasquatches... Zombies hate flute music, they will run from it. If you don't believe me, next time you see one... try it.

Last edited:
I guess my 562. Problem is there running autotune which may get effected with an emp. Which is one of the catastrophic scenarios. If it did go tits up I got a 201t. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Sent From A Spaceship On Cloud 9

marlin lever action in .44magnum. we cut down a tree with one of those once. granted it was only 4-5" across. and already dead. but it worked. and those rounds work well on zombies, bears, etc.

Everyone hates flute music including and especially sasquatch (who prefer the trem big foot btw). And I will not be playing the flute for ether one thank you.

Ya I would be a little iffy about mtronics and auto tune in an emp blast or just to take out as my only saw in a shtf scenario or just as my only saw cutting fire wood. Technology scares me.

If we were blasting down trees I would go with c4. Save the bullets for the zombie sasquqtch......... :jester:

Unlike Sasquatches... Zombies hate flute music, they will run from it. If you don't believe me, next time you see one... try it.

F

Interestingly enough, I had to evacuate from my home a few weeks ago and had 1 hour to pack and go. So what saw would I take?

I took the saws I own: my three year old Husky 445 and my couple month old 460. Also grabbed my spare chains, pre-mix and tools. Only thing I left behind was my fuel tanks since I was driving through a forest fire. And maybe a good thing I left them behind because one was gone when I came back, my 5 gallon tank, and I like to think the firefighters used it to help defend my home.

When shtf you take what you got and make do.

-n

Most reliable saw I have is my 066 has a 32" on it. Would grab some hand files and all my fuel and some spare chain loops off the wall. Saw has a wrench mounted on it. Tune should last till fuels all gone.

If it was a zombie apocalypse i would want to use carbide chain so it doesnt loose its edge when cutting through bone. I would probably strap a lawnmower to my chest so i can give them a hug and mince them up at the same time, like on the movie brain dead.

Problem is that anything with electric componants are going to be down due to EMP! So if you don't have your saw secured in a steel box it's just dead weight! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

Better to have a classic handsaw at hand. Virtually will live forever and never need gas. Get some etxra blades and some very fine stones (I prefer ceramic) to resharpen and your good to go! Further do you want to deplete your gas reserves using a totally uneconomical 2 stroke engine?

A razor sharp misery whip with the tooth pattern in the West Coast style. Don't forget to order handles with it....:msp_ohmy: Now, since we are limited to only one saw, do I go with the bucking style crosscut or the falling style?

I already have a Gemeinhardt flute and a fiddle.

I have some nice bowsaws, plus, barring an EMP event that destroyed all electronics, a nice oregon battery saw. It takes their built in powersharp or any 3/8ths low pro.

Also have some solar panels and a charge controller and a large stash of various 12 VDC vehicle batteries. also some semi deep discharge trolling batts.

I figured out, at one easy batt charge per day off the solar (via an inverter), I could get 10-15 cord a year based on my long term review use. Batts are good for 1000 charge cyles, and being lithium ion, they can last a long time with just an occassional top off..

Another plus is both the handsaws and battery saw are quiet.....

Running a gas saw (or generator, or...) in anything even close to a mad max situation will just make you an easy sniper target.

Back