siberian elm removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks,
Actually ours doesn;t come out that often... we could have used the skid loader to pull those limbs across the roof... Nice to be able to pretension with that kind of force, but most often gravity can be put to service, and the GRCS is a back up for those few times when it really saves time and energy...

We could have used an old style porty on the grapple bucket and used that from a redirect block at the base of the tree... Probably would have been faster than hand cranking... Nice to be able to lower right into the grapple though..

Nice job, looked like a fun job. That bore cut back cut method you use is that a safer way to keep the tree from snapping off backwards?

The bore cut, or plunge cut with a back release has many purposes.. It is an excellent way to avoid barber chair on heavy front leaners.. That is probably where it gained popularity amongst loggers.. Life and death etc.. I use it for a lot of different reasons

on those bigger diameter trees, my backcut can stray a bit from level... I have a tendancy to cut the back cuts too high, in order to avoid cutting them too low, the fibers in the hinge can get funny with a high backcut, and loss of control results... with the plunge cut, it pretty much doesn't matter how the saw is cutting.. that backcut is right around 1" above the level of trhe notch, right where I like it...

I also like to make the back release cut very low, as I would flush cut the stump... that way the log takes half the stump cut with it... that means less cutting to finish the flush cut and only half a round to handle, which will often go right through the chipper...

Plunge cut allows the faller to pre-set the hinge, getting it just right... Takes a bit of practice though... like anything else... learn in non critical situations and get good before using it when there is a lot at stake..

I'll eventually do a video just on the plunge cut..

The bore cut, or plunge cut with a back release has many purposes.. It is an excellent way to avoid barber chair on heavy front leaners.. That is probably where it gained popularity amongst loggers.. Life and death etc.. I use it for a lot of different reasons

on those bigger diameter trees, my backcut can stray a bit from level... I have a tendancy to cut the back cuts too high, in order to avoid cutting them too low, the fibers in the hinge can get funny with a high backcut, and loss of control results... with the plunge cut, it pretty much doesn't matter how the saw is cutting.. that backcut is right around 1" above the level of trhe notch, right where I like it...

I also like to make the back release cut very low, as I would flush cut the stump... that way the log takes half the stump cut with it... that means less cutting to finish the flush cut and only half a round to handle, which will often go right through the chipper...

Plunge cut allows the faller to pre-set the hinge, getting it just right... Takes a bit of practice though... like anything else... learn in non critical situations and get good before using it when there is a lot at stake..

I'll eventually do a video just on the plunge cut..

I find myself using the plunge cut always on critical drops where accuracy is a must or risk of barber chair.

I never saw that back cut before and was thinking when I saw it that is a great way to finish the stump and well you just said it. Thats a great technique I will have to try it.

Hey Murphy, nice work again.

I don't have a GRCS as yet but I do use my own skidsteer exactly as you said, with the portawrap attached, as mobile counterweight and tension adjuster. We use a steel karabiner which can be easily clipped off to release the loader for hauling. Not as cool as a GRCS but it does the job.

PFE I get what you are saying but if a tree has to come down then it serves everyone if it is done right. You will find a lot of arborists who are just as passionate about tree preservation as you seem to be but being at the "coal face" gives a person a unique perspective. Keep the ones you can and remove the rest with as much skill as you possess.

Back