Sick of this narrow kerf bs..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stix

Love me some big orange saws
Reaction score
Seems like finding a .325 0.50 bar that isn't NK is getting harder. Finding chain is easy. I didn't even see one in baileys catalogue.

i tried the narrow kerf bar and chain combo from baileys on a ms390 stihl and i couldn't tell any difference between .325 .063 or .325 .050

I picked up two loops of Oregon bpx .325 0.50 for my 545. Turns out the crappy little bar is a narrow kerf bar. Will that chain work being it's not nk chain. I hate this.

The pro-lite bars on Bailey's website can be purchased that are .325 .50. The bar on my 2252 is a laser laminated .325 .50 that I purchased from Tlandrum.
The ProLite bars that are NK has the text "95VPX" on them close to the tip. Same bars as the Microlite Pro, and are called ProLite 95VPX..

In a similar way, the bars that were Microlite (not "pro") now are called Pro Am 95VPX (cheaper bars).

I don't see any problem finding .325 bars that are not NK at all - but it will of course vary between markets and even dealers. Finding them in .050 may be an issue anywhere but in certain parts of the US though, and Husky has stopped listing them - Stihl never offered .325 bars in .050, that I know.

I picked up two loops of Oregon bpx .325 0.50 for my 545. Turns out the crappy little bar is a narrow kerf bar. Will that chain work being it's not nk chain. I hate this.

Usually not on that model of saw, but exceptions have happened - it works on the 346xp though (or any other saw in that "family") - but the combination never was recommended.

The main issue with .325 NK is that no proper chisel chain is offered.

That's what I was afraid of. Just great. Ok so if I get a normal bar will the one nk chain I have work on it??

It will have a 10 tooth nose sprocket instead of 12 so it will be a bit longer. The tie straps will be a bit wider than the rails so they most likely will deform somewhat over time and not fit the correct wider bar well at a later time. So long as the cutters don't hit anything on the saw body or clutch cover it works. There are saws folks say it doesn't work. Might also make sure the rim sprocket can center behind the bar.

Everybody thank you for the help. I don't know why the companys feel the need to do this. Marketing I suppose.

That's what I was afraid of. Just great. Ok so if I get a normal bar will the one nk chain I have work on it??

Sooner or later you likely would get a binding issue in the kerf, as a filed back NK chain won't cut a wide enough kerf for the wider bar. As long as the chain is relatively new, it likey will work OK though (never tried it myself - I just transfer the NK stuff to smaller/weaker saws, or special use like cutting up planks, pallets etc).

Latest posts

Back