Side plate angle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slacker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have just started to sharpen my on chains.I checked my stihl manual and it said on a rs chain sharpen it to 30 60.Does this sound wright ? The 30 i have no problem with it's the 60.My oregon manual chain sharpener set at 60 does not match the cutter and rubs the links.I set the sharpener to 30 80 and it matches the cutter.Does 30 80 sound wright or 30 60.THKS

I see what your saying 30 deg 60 deg = 90 deg a corner .But there rm,and pm/pmn are 30 85 by the book.

I do not know, would need to have it in my hands.

23, 25, 26, 46 RS are all 30 + 60

PM, PMN, PM1, PMX are 35 +85

RM, RM2, RMH are3 5 + 70

RCX 10 + 80

RC 35 +90

Just a thought in case: Are you sure it is RS and are you using the proper file ?

slacker said:
I see what your saying 30 deg 60 deg = 90 deg a corner .But there rm,and pm/pmn are 30 85 by the book.

Take a look at the shape of the cutters and tie straps next time you are in your Stihl dealers, you will understand why.

Slacker just noticed:

1- It may just be your pictures but it looks like you are not filing flat at 0 degrees but bottom to top and substantially at that.

2- Are you filing from the inside out as somehow I am getting the sensation you are not, but it may only be your pictures.

3- This is .325 chain and not .375 / 3/8''.

slacker said:
Some more pics .325 chain

Disregard my point #3 as I had not seen your last post quoted when I sent my last post.

The filing angle is set at 30 deg and side plate angle is set to 30 on the gauge which is 30 from 90 is 60 gauge is like this 30.I.I.0.I.I.30

slacker said:
Some more pics .325 chain

Your picture #8

Is that caused by your camera or do you have one heck of a filing up/down angle their on your filing guide. If that is the case I think you best re-read the filing instructions as you are ruining your chain.

I did not file my chain at that angle.I filed it 30 80.I matched it to the cutters.If i would have filed it at 30 60 I would not have a corner on the cutter

slacker said:
I did not file my chain at that angle.I filed it 30 80.I matched it to the cutters.If i would have filed it at 30 60 I would not have a corner on the cutter

I strongly suggest you stop filing now. :cry:

Take a look at the position of the file / file plate & file in the tutorials, they are set at O and 10 degress in the case of your .325 chain you should be at flat or at 0 degress not at 30 degress as you are set now.

You are not matching the factory ground chain angles because of this 30 degree up/down angle you have set on your guide. :eek:

slacker said:
here is some pics of the gauge and manual

Your last Image 6 you should be at 0 and not at 30 where you are now.

Please read the tutorials !

slacker said:
here is some pics of the gauge and manual

Photo #5 depicts a top to bottom motion which is totally wrong !

What is called the top guide swivel should be placed at 30 degrees for your .325 RS and flat to file from the inside to outside on the cutters that are on the far side if your B&C tips are pointing on the right hand side.

You then rotate it a 180 degrees to file the outside cutters when the b&C tips are pointig to the left hand side.

Tilt and swivel base in both cases are set at 0 degrees.

Back