Silliest saw setup ever?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a more than a good chance that person has never run big saws like with those length bars in big wood.
What gives it away? The small trees in the distance or that he is wearing slippers?

How about I put my 10" cannon on the 041 FB would that make your day?

Bar would be the same length as the engine.

I had a 14" on my P41 because it was the only bar I had to try it out with. It was silly strong. Even with the way lopsided sharpened chain it almost got stuck cutting a crescent in the log before I could stop it.
It has a 24" bar now.

I've done that too. Guess I'm silly. It was my only heated handled saw at the time, and I had a bunch of limbing and thinning to do at about zero degrees Fahrenheit.

Even just limbing & thinning I’ll run a 28 for reach. I’m not much on bending over or squatting. If I can reach out and do it standing that’s my preference. Just seems like a waste of power to me.

But, your mileage may vary and the like.

Not many things left that require a bar like this
1da6c5d0a8850b1139089ed680e9f893.jpg
I bid two today. 100ft Cottonwoods. Notch and drop into a field behind an apartment complex. If I get to do it I'll post video. Will know Wednesday. Customer is in a bind cause it's in the way of a building project.
Pics of a willow we chewed out. 25" bar on my 660. 60" on the 880.20180521_164541.jpg 20180521_141606.jpg 20180522_135133.jpg

Those are some nice pictures!

There are still some redwoods, cedar, and fir around here that size as well, getting rare though as forestry chews through them and poaching trees is getting common.

It was pretty common in the 60-70's to put a 16 inch on a 60cc plus saw. That seems odd to me but they where slower saws.

That's still really common in nova scotia, our trees aren't that big but its faster to cut them up with a 60+cc saw.
I know a few guys with 365's with 16 inch bars, they cut a lot of fire wood.

Longer bars with some of the smaller CC saws really isn't that much of a stretch, especially if all they're being used for is limbing, etc. I'd much rather limb trees on the ground with a 24" bar on my 372XP, means a lot less bending over than running a 16" with the 242Xp or 14" on the 330-T.

Latest posts

Back